Sponsored by:

OT: Tracking Your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It makes me very sad that we have devolved to the point where a thread on tracking a GT3 would be considered 'OT' now that the only thing people talk about is 'value'.
You guys have to know I was joking with that title, right?
Old 03-10-2017, 01:00 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

Old 03-10-2017, 01:03 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChrisF
A bit off topic, but I have read somewhere on this site that people actually track these cars.

Come on boys!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:03 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 123 Posts

I think we have just been "Marv"-ed guys. LOL!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:04 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by vantage
I think we have just been "Marv"-ed guys. LOL!
I resemble that remark.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

It is just with all the value threads, and CJ's driving thread, the moment was just right. I thought the title perfectly summed up the situation.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Do it and you'll wonder why you ever bothered doing anything else with the car. Trust us.

The 'abuse' on the car is purely psychological. It's not abuse if the car was designed for it. My GT3 has over 60 track days and over 6000 miles on track. These are hard days and miles driven at full tilt. It still drives just like it did the first day I owned the car. No creaks, no squeaks. Rock solid. The only issues, that were addressed under warranty, have been a failed coil pack and a leaking oil cooler. Maintain the car properly and it will be fine.
Thanks! Great to know.

Originally Posted by GrantG
Rob - do you have a clear bra on the car? If not, this temporary stuff works well (used it for Euro Delivery):

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/

Painter's Tape at the hardware store looks worse and doesn't protect quite as well, but is cheap and easy.

You could do a PCA DE, but my personal preference is for the Open Track Days at HPR - often sparsely attended and very relaxed (with plenty of time for driving and resting on your own schedule). It is helpful to attend with someone experienced (I'm happy to help as are many others).

You could also hire a professional instructor if you feel this is right for you.
Thanks Grant! Going out tomorrow to HPR with a few boys from here if you want to join us. Going to ride shotgun with Sean in his RS. Should be epic! Taking the GoPros. I will check out that link, as I have no film on the car. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Listen to Joe.

That said, MAINTAINING and DRIVING these cars and their consumables on track is expensive. ~1000/day roughly maybe more once you get to a decent level (tires, brake pads, oil changes, brake fluid changes, etc, etc).

But the cars, they can take it. And based on what I see at my shop, the cars that are driven and maintained are much happier. Stuff doesn't seize, seals don't leak, etc.
Okay doesn't sound too bad. Besides, how else will I get that new G engine?

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Rob you owe it to yourself to take this car to the track and you will be pleasantly surprised as it reveals it's true brilliance and will take your enjoyment to another level.

There is no need to go 10/10ths to have this experience. Try it a few times to get the hang of track driving and just enjoy it. I track mine about 3 to 4 times a year at about 8/10ths at the most and truly enjoy the experience. I just perform the regular maintenance and the car has been bullet proof so far.

Go have some fun

Okay thanks! Looking forward to it. Besides, one or two laps at HPR and I will be ready for the Ring! j/k.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If I get a GT3 and I ever get through concussion protocol, I'm definitely going to take it to track a couple of times a year, PCCBs and all. Very much looking forward to seeing how the car experience on track compares to motos, but no intention to become a track junkie again at my age. I have no worries that these cars can take it and I don't really care if it shows some wear and tear. My C2S is a pretty much a pure performance build (no creature comforts) and I'm even considering tracking that this year if I get healthy enough in time.
Get better soon, buddy!

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Rob,
Plenty of guys go to HPR during the warm months. Study a few videos to know the track. Take a ride along with someone with experience, and have them do a ride along with you. Keep pace within yourself while learning. A few lead/follow sessions once you are comfortable. As Joe said, absolute religious with maintenance and these cars have no concerns. Paint protection if concerned (blue tape on headlights at least). You will know right away if it is your "thing". If you want to pursue further, then more seat time, perhaps an instructor, perhaps a PCA event (much less seat time at those, but good comraderie and cool cars).
Starting that process tomorrow! I like the lead/follow sessions. I have watched some videos of HPR and it looks fun. Glad to hear my baby can take it! Thanks.

Originally Posted by tgibrit
IMO if you don't take this car to the track you are missing the point of owning a GT3, at least to me you cannot safely explore the capabilities of this car on the street. I've only been going to the track regularly for the last few years but I wish I had made time earlier.

many great options for DE, not just PCA - Chin, HOD, Nasa other car clubs like Audi or BMW.

for your first few times I would have the dealership check the car and change brake fluid/oil. I have expel on my car but also use trak tape to augment (www.trakktape.com/ordering.html)

then go enjoy the car the way it was meant to be driven
On board with that! Thanks for the link. Just had my 12k service, so I should be golden.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Rob - do you have a clear bra on the car? If not, this temporary stuff works well (used it for Euro Delivery):

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/
Grant, what size do you get of this stuff? 12 or 18 inch?
Old 03-10-2017, 01:34 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue is that Rennlist only provides 1 place for all 991 GT related discussions to happen. I know there is a Racing and DE forum but I think GT owners are a bit 'exclusive' in their discussion and prefer to post in this forum.

Of course whenever a new GT car is unveiled you're going to have a bunch of options/allocation/pricing threads but it will die down.

Would having different sub-forums with the GT forum make people happy? Something like:
- Racing / DE / Setup
- Pics / Videos
- Ordering / Pricing / Allocations
- Technical / DIY
- Cosmetics / Maintenance / Cleaning
- General / Philosophical

As the GT brand grows and more cars are built, buyer segments will begin to emerge. Pure trackers were the good ol days and part of that is due to the success of the GT brand.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:36 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
There is no need to go 10/10ths to have this experience. Try it a few times to get the hang of track driving and just enjoy it. I track mine about 3 to 4 times a year at about 8/10ths at the most and truly enjoy the experience. I just perform the regular maintenance and the car has been bullet proof so far.

Go have some fun

I haven't tracked my GT4 but it is something I have thought about. This seems like sound feedback and advice to me.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
You guys have to know I was joking with that title, right?
You got me, man. You got me.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

You got me, man. You got me.

Thanks for the tips Joe. Appreciate the help!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:56 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Rob, I'm not very far removed from being exactly where you are right now. I noticed your comment in another thread about going to the track for some laps but not taking your car. Take your car!

Hear me out...

- I've only done three track days
- I bought a membership / paid initiation dues after the second time.... it's that awesome. I couldn't stop thinking about being out there when I wasn't out there. It's the only place on earth where all my stresses and issues go away. The golf course doesn't even do that; my phone still rings, employees still need help putting out fires.
- My first day out I brought my car and did 7-8 laps with SGroer... Then I did 7-8 laps with Jon Baker. They went over do's and don'ts and showed me some lines. I assume you have a buddy or three who know what they're doing on the track.
- Then we got in my car and drove within my comfort level for another 15-20 laps going over the same does and don'ts (DONT LIFT!), etc.
- Within a few hours I'm on my own and having an absolute blast. Go as fast or slow as you're comfortable with and watch your 6, make sure you're letting faster cars by safely and in accordance with the track rules.
- Don't overthink it. I was so nervous the first time out, heading to the track I had a really bad case of heartburn just from all the nerves. Turned out to be a complete waste of emotions.
- After my third trip I added a half cage, harnesses and got a HANS setup. I've improved my lap times very quickly and now within 3-4 seconds from the fastest guys that I run with. The addiction of perfecting the course and your lines will take over.
- I put my stock wheels with original tires before heading to the track. You can get a lot of laps driving as a moderate driver on those tires. I still have probably 3-4 days left on my original tires if they don't heat cycle out before then but they seemed to grip just the same the last time out.
- Get some Mother's Rubber remover for the sides of your car; you'll need it! Don't bother with your finger nail, it won't work.
- I do have a full Xpel wrap so don't really think twice about the paint. The install was horrible, I have stretch marks everywhere but I'll keep this one through the track season at least and just let it get beat up. I notice just as many marks after a 4-5 hour run in the mountains as I would on the track... my local track doesn't really have any rocks or debris anywhere to kick up. Just rubber.

I'm absolutely in love with the track and trying to do at least one visit a month... the RS is made for this and it begs to be out there. My car never gets to stretch its legs like it does on the track. It begs for more!

Do it do it!!
Old 03-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

MHO: the consumables are not that bad when start tracking: your speed is probably low as a beginner.

But... Make it a habit to check your brakes and tired after every session anyway.

Suddenly you are fast and the stuff starts to wear considerable.

Not driving these cars on track is... Well you know.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:15 PM
robmypro
Race Director

You do make a compelling argument, Tony! I am thinking about it. I appreciate you sharing your progression, as it sounds like a blast. It also sounds like you are a natural!

Decisions decisions....

Quick Reply: OT: Tracking Your GT3