Sponsored by:

OT: Tracking Your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 02:31 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It makes me very sad that we have devolved to the point where a thread on tracking a GT3 would be considered 'OT' now that the only thing people talk about is 'value'. The 997 guys were right..

Do it and you'll wonder why you ever bothered doing anything else with the car. Trust us.

The 'abuse' on the car is purely psychological. It's not abuse if the car was designed for it. My GT3 has over 60 track days and over 6000 miles on track. These are hard days and miles driven at full tilt. It still drives just like it did the first day I owned the car. No creaks, no squeaks. Rock solid. The only issues, that were addressed under warranty, have been a failed coil pack and a leaking oil cooler. Maintain the car properly and it will be fine.
Originally Posted by tgibrit
IMO if you don't take this car to the track you are missing the point of owning a GT3, at least to me you cannot safely explore the capabilities of this car on the street. I've only been going to the track regularly for the last few years but I wish I had made time earlier.

many great options for DE, not just PCA - Chin, HOD, Nasa other car clubs like Audi or BMW.

for your first few times I would have the dealership check the car and change brake fluid/oil. I have expel on my car but also use trak tape to augment (www.trakktape.com/ordering.html)

then go enjoy the car the way it was meant to be driven
Agreed. I hate seeing all the posers taking GT3's on "Rallies" that are just displays of douchebag driving on public streets with other douches.

Honestly, this car is much cheaper to track than my old R35 GT-R ever was (that car was so heavy, that it went through pads, rotors, fluids, tires like no other). That's why tracking this car, even though it's more expensive, doesn't really feel like much to me.

My point, take your car to the track, it is amazing on track and you will love it more.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Grant, what size do you get of this stuff? 12 or 18 inch?
Either will work (cuts easily) - wider is nice for things like hood - takes fewer "rows." Roll I had was 12". Smaller width is nice for things like front bumper where there are more complex curves. Ideally, probably best to have more than one size...
Old 03-10-2017, 02:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Either will work (cuts easily) - wider is nice for things like hood - takes fewer "rows." Roll I had was 12". Smaller width is nice for things like front bumper where there are more complex curves. Ideally, probably best to have more than one size...
Thanks Grant!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:52 PM
robmypro
Race Director

God help me.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

God help me.
Please keep us posted!

Try to relax and enjoy it, just using the brakes properly is a treat!

You probably won't be relaxed but enjoy it!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

NM

Last edited by Sean in Texas; 03-10-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:18 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Agreed. I hate seeing all the posers taking GT3's on "Rallies" that are just displays of douchebag driving on public streets with other douches.
Why do you care what other people do with cars they bought with their money?

The same could be said for us that track... "Look at all those rich dudes take their Porsches out to the track and think they are race car drivers"
Old 03-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Jon_H
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, this car is much cheaper to track than my old R35 GT-R ever was (that car was so heavy, that it went through pads, rotors, fluids, tires like no other). That's why tracking this car, even though it's more expensive, doesn't really feel like much to me.
This is good news. The GT-R is a money pit on the track. My best investment on the GT-R was a 2nd set of 18" wheels. Hope to do the same with the GT3. Just not a big fan of center locks and wish they were lugs.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Please keep us posted!

Try to relax and enjoy it, just using the brakes properly is a treat!

You probably won't be relaxed but enjoy it!
Will do! It is just like a video game, right?
Old 03-10-2017, 05:32 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
Why do you care what other people do with cars they bought with their money?

The same could be said for us that track... "Look at all those rich dudes take their Porsches out to the track and think they are race car drivers"
I'm sure you've seen the latest video that's going viral of the GT3 RS that is splitting lanes, weaving in and out, cutting other cars off and going into oncoming traffic trying to chase a GT3 and Speciale. That happens ALL the time during these rallies. At least at the track, we don't endanger the public.

It just gives us a bad image and reputation.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:33 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

God help me.
You'll have a blast. Let us know what you think of it. My bet is you have a ton of fun.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by tstafford
You'll have a blast. Let us know what you think of it. My bet is you have a ton of fun.
Thanks! Don't worry, I will post some video. There will be a purple 991 RS, Green 991 GT3, Blue GT4 and of course my baby. Should be epic!

Of course, this is all a secret plot to shame Bronson into tracking his car.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:38 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure you've seen the latest video that's going viral of the GT3 RS that is splitting lanes, weaving in and out, cutting other cars off and going into oncoming traffic trying to chase a GT3 and Speciale. That happens ALL the time during these rallies. At least at the track, we don't endanger the public.

It just gives us a bad image and reputation.
I must've misunderstood then... I haven't seen it but will look now. I thought you meant rallies that PCA puts on or something.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
I must've misunderstood then... I haven't seen it but will look now. I thought you meant rallies that PCA puts on or something.
oh definitely not. those are cool. I'm talking about the ones where the organizers charge like $500 to drive around busy city streets, with ridiculous decals, give out t-shirts and end at a crappy club.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:45 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon_H
This is good news. The GT-R is a money pit on the track. My best investment on the GT-R was a 2nd set of 18" wheels. Hope to do the same with the GT3. Just not a big fan of center locks and wish they were lugs.
What up, Jon!

Yes, the GT-R was absolutely a money pit.

The GT3 can go way more than 4 laps without overheating and cooking your tranny/diff fluid and thus requiring expensive *** fluid change. I've taken the GT3 on 45 minute sessions at Chuckwalla with the temps being rock solid. The only issue is the tires since the MPSC's are a bit temperamental when it comes to air pressures. But with 19's, you should be cool.

Changing the wheels and torquing them since they are center lugs are a huge pain in the ***!

Quick Reply: OT: Tracking Your GT3