Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 03:19 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I thought the panamera and SUVs came off a different line?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:05 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
They do - a lot of misinformation in this thread. I suspect we will find out more soon
Old 11-03-2017, 04:49 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I am hoping that the rumors of more GT allocations/production bear fruit. I am on the list at 6 different dealers...
Most of those who actually want one probably have their names on 3+ lists. As they get their allocations, the lists get shorter (by 3+ spots per allocated car) hence the typical appearance/realization that there are more allocations than originally estimated/promised as everyone else gets moved up the lists faster than expected.

If the above assumption is correct, the (initial) lists over-represent demand by more than 3 times and they get reduced down to actual demand by the time all allocations are distributed. This is probably why ADMs come down to near zero near the end -- not because PAG surprises everyone by increasing production. It may be both, but I bet the former (fake initial 3x demand coming down to actual 1x) has a stronger effect on the ADM than the latter.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

correct, the Zuffenhausen line is the only 911 line, they also build Boxsters (not sure about the Cayman) on that line, everything else is built elsewhere... Leipzig!
Old 11-03-2017, 01:22 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Most of those who actually want one probably have their names on 3+ lists.
As long as the customer is recorded in the Porsche computer system as a demand order, V070, I believe, it doesn't matter how many dealer lists the customer is on.

Eliminating duplicates demand orders is easy. And I'll bet Porsche knows all about this.

The problem is when the dealer has a hand written list that stays in his desk drawer. And not all of those on the list have a V070 assigned. Porsche has no way of getting at that list. IMO, anyway. In which case, fewer cars are produced.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
As long as the customer is recorded in the Porsche computer system as a demand order, V070, I believe, it doesn't matter how many dealer lists the customer is on.

Eliminating duplicates demand orders is easy. And I'll bet Porsche knows all about this.

The problem is when the dealer has a hand written list that stays in his desk drawer. And not all of those on the list have a V070 assigned. Porsche has no way of getting at that list. IMO, anyway. In which case, fewer cars are produced.
correct! - dealer lists are just that dealer lists, not shared with PCNA or PAG...
Old 11-03-2017, 05:24 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Most of those who actually want one probably have their names on 3+ lists. As they get their allocations, the lists get shorter (by 3+ spots per allocated car) hence the typical appearance/realization that there are more allocations than originally estimated/promised as everyone else gets moved up the lists faster than expected.

If the above assumption is correct, the (initial) lists over-represent demand by more than 3 times and they get reduced down to actual demand by the time all allocations are distributed. This is probably why ADMs come down to near zero near the end -- not because PAG surprises everyone by increasing production. It may be both, but I bet the former (fake initial 3x demand coming down to actual 1x) has a stronger effect on the ADM than the latter.
Interesting you pick 3x. By chance, I went from 13 on my local dealer list at launch, 11th in Sept, to an msrp allocation this week. Dealer did not state to me directly, but another party I met at local car meet told me said dealer got 9 allocations so far. 13-> 8/9 position is roughly 1/3 "reduction of list"(edit). Hate using singular cherry-picked examples like this, but it certainly makes you wonder how much fluff there really is on these lists.

Last edited by PwAg; 11-04-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:19 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
correct! - dealer lists are just that dealer lists, not shared with PCNA or PAG...
So what incentive (if any) does a dealer have in keeping a handwritten list instead of placing potential customers in V070? ADMs? Should those of us who are still wanting an allocation be asking our dealer contacts to verify we are V070?
Old 11-03-2017, 11:56 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

To my understanding V70 doesn't mean anything except asking for an allocation so Porsche can keep track if there are any double orders and headcounts. I was lucky enough to receive a V150 for the GT3 as a generous offer from Porsche. I have to admit they had treated me very well and appreciate my addiction to buying their cars.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:25 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

PCNA hands down allocations mainly base on the dealer’s sale volume rather than how many V70 the dealer has requested.

After a while, some small dealers probably just give up sending V70 allocation requests since they will only get what PCNA decides they should get instead of how many customers they have on their waiting list.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:06 AM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead32
Should those of us who are still wanting an allocation be asking our dealer contacts to verify we are V070?
Since March announcement, I made contact with dealer every few months or so to inquire about my status. It wasn't until mid-Sept that they sent me a Porsche printout with 070 status on it. I was assuming it's normal procedure, send in further 070 requests once all allocations for those earlier on list were fulfilled. But if I were Porsche, I'd want to know true demand from the onset, clean up all the same party multi-dealer listings etc.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:50 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
PCNA hands down [GT] allocations mainly base on the dealer’s sale volume...
IMO, I think this is a, kind of, conventional wisdom which has been carried over from past years. And works as long as there exists something called "volume." More specifically, base line car sales volume. Even more specifically, base 911 & 718 sales volume.

But when ordinary (non- GT) 911's and 718' are not selling well, as has been the case for well over a year, the "volume" GT allocation criteria, it seems to me, is out the window. Because when the factory is not making 911/718 cars, factory workers are taking three hour lunch breaks waiting for the next ordered car to show up. You don't have to be an Econ Major to know this is a big money losing scenario.

How does one get the guys back to work? Produce a car that's in demand. Shazaam!! GT cars. How many to produce? How about check to see how many V070s there are. What about the policy of passing out GT allocations based on volume? Screw that! We need to keep the assembly line guys busy.

Originally Posted by LnC993
After a while, some small dealers probably just give up sending V70 allocation requests since they will only get what PCNA decides they should get instead of how many customers they have on their waiting list.
I think there is more to it than that. The V070 assignment may be misinterpreted by the customer. That is, the highly excited customer, with his V070, assumes he has, for all intents and purposes, been given an allocation and it's only a matter of time until it shows up in the dealer computer. Not only that, the customer may also assume the most he'll pay for the car is MSRP. A logical conclusion since that number shows up boldly on the V070 printout (not bothering to read the fine print about the dealer setting the final price).

In the case of GT cars, both these assumptions is wrong. The dealer knows it and should address it; but, there's much less grief involved by saying- "OK, you're on my list." and let it go at that.

That's my take on it.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:12 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by PwAg
Interesting you pick 3x. By chance, I went from 13 on my local dealer list at launch, 11th in Sept, to an msrp allocation this week. Dealer did not state to me directly, but another party I met at local car meet told me said dealer got 9 allocations so far. 13-> 8/9 position is roughly 1/3. Hate using singular cherry-picked examples like this, but it certainly makes you wonder how much fluff there really is on these lists.
1/3 would mean that you would get allocation 5 (thereabouts).

What dealer?
Old 11-04-2017, 02:37 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

They do, but the GT3's not only come off a different assembly line, they are actually produced at the Motorsport factory in Flacht, so the GT cars volume should not be affected by increase or decrease of normal 911's production capacity.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:45 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
They do, but the GT3's not only come off a different assembly line, they are actually produced at the Motorsport factory in Flacht, so the GT cars volume should not be affected by increase or decrease of normal 911's production capacity.
What on earth are you talking about? 911s are produced in the same plant as gt3s. I’ve been at the plant. Where do you pull this stuff?

Last edited by Norcalgt3; 11-04-2017 at 03:11 AM.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread