Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:18 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Why? Easy...because they aren't selling very many of those "more profitable" 718s and 911s.

You can say that a millions times but that will not make it true.

This forum skewed your view of the world, as it is populated with enthusiasts who likes GT cars. Outside in the real world this is just a small percentage of the overall market.

You may think just because a dealer has a number of 911s and 718s sitting in the lot means they are not selling, but it's simply because they are produced at a higher number and selling at a higher number.

Don't believe me? Go look around, see how many regular 991s are on the streets vs 991 GT3/GT3RS.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:19 AM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmed
How much of a deposit ($) are your dealers asking you to fork over to get on the list? Fully refundable, I suppose, if you back out?
Called on Mar 7 after the announcement, they asked for $5k refundable, and I'm #4.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:48 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

How much of a deposit ($) are your dealers asking you to fork over to get on the list? Fully refundable, I suppose, if you back out?
I heard of one dealer that took $10k deposits. Mine charged me nothing.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Why would Porsche build more 'less profitable' cars than 'more profitable' ones?

GT cars have less options, and higher cost parts per car. The regular run of the mill 911s and 718s are more profitable.

Zuffenhausen is pretty much maxed out, they can only do ~270 cars a day. Remember, the 718 also shared that line, together with all the 911 variants, so not all 270 cars a day are 911s.

The GT3 engines are also much more specialized, takes longer to build and check.

The bucket seats are also from a supplier, which Porsche have no control of how many can be made a day.
Thank you.

Finally some sanity and truth in this thread.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:12 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,089 Likes on 2,337 Posts

This forum skewed your view of the world, as it is populated with enthusiasts who likes GT cars. Outside in the real world this is just a small percentage of the overall market.

You may think just because a dealer has a number of 911s and 718s sitting in the lot means they are not selling, but it's simply because they are produced at a higher number and selling at a higher number.

Don't believe me? Go look around, see how many regular 991s are on the streets vs 991 GT3/GT3RS.
I'm not saying that there are more GT cars on the road than run of the mill 911s or 718s. What I'm saying is that sales of both have declined and that if Porsche increases the production of those cars they'll have more and more sitting on dealer lots. And yes, I know that PCNA is the buyer of these cars from PAG. You make it sound like if they built another regular 911 or 718 that it will automatically sell which it won't...it'll sit on the dealer lot while a GT car will be sold before it hits North America.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:00 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

this is what I have been told, its still going to be the same old crap. Dealers are going to try to get that "FAIR MARKET VALUE" and that means that the flippers will be out there making money on our passion for the cars. They buy em and sell em until they finally get into our hands and then at the end they are worth their original values and the only thing that happens is we get our pockets picked clean... AGAIN.
I just wish ONCE Porsche would keep making them until the last GT3 buyer that wanted one had one. That would keep all this BULL**** from happening.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:13 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,224 Likes on 480 Posts

no deposit to be on "the list" - which I still doubt exists. Dealers take care of their VIPs (918s, bulk buyers) and then let others get whatever may be late allocations. At least that's how it seems. Thankfully I must be a VIP now as I was called day after 3.2 announcement and told to get ready and finalize my build.

Anyway, no deposit until order placed, then $10k non-refundable to custom order any car- regardless if 911 or Macan--they don't want to get stuck with odd custom build.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:26 AM
theplanner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRRRR
Not same case in Australia, dealer took the deposit but don't know anything about allocation yet. Every car here is sold in retail price i.e. MSRP and only depends when did you put the deposit. Even you bought 100 prosche already but you put the .2 GT3 late, you may still not able to get one. Bad thing is, they charge luxury car tax and base price start from 240k USD equivalent + on road cost.
But if u bought many cars from Porsche already you would know the deal, and plus ur sales guy would have encourage you to just put down your refundable deposit to secure your slot. Only your own fault if you choose not to right
Old 03-14-2017, 05:33 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Now that I dont live in California anymore, I like that my local guy said he called the AutoGallery in California to get the proper "FAIR market value" for these cars.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
no deposit to be on "the list" - which I still doubt exists. Dealers take care of their VIPs (918s, bulk buyers) and then let others get whatever may be late allocations. At least that's how it seems. Thankfully I must be a VIP now as I was called day after 3.2 announcement and told to get ready and finalize my build.

Anyway, no deposit until order placed, then $10k non-refundable to custom order any car- regardless if 911 or Macan--they don't want to get stuck with odd custom build.
Get ready for what? Build dates for US Allocations probably won't begin until September.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

As for the the cayman/boxster/718, sales numbers are supposed to be horrific. Porsche sold more GT4s than regular caymans. I've been told that 718s are rocks that can't be sold. I believe Porsche produced and sold more GT4s relative to the standard cayman
The same cannot be said for the 911, though.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:02 AM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm not saying that there are more GT cars on the road than run of the mill 911s or 718s. What I'm saying is that sales of both have declined and that if Porsche increases the production of those cars they'll have more and more sitting on dealer lots. And yes, I know that PCNA is the buyer of these cars from PAG. You make it sound like if they built another regular 911 or 718 that it will automatically sell which it won't...it'll sit on the dealer lot while a GT car will be sold before it hits North America.
I think you are assuming the demand for GT cars is higher than non-GT 911s/718s... and I don't think that's the case.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Now that I dont live in California anymore, I like that my local guy said he called the AutoGallery in California to get the proper "FAIR market value" for these cars.
Jesus. That is B.S.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm not saying Porsche should stop building Turbo S's to build GT3's but I believe they can build 10 fewer 718's and 5 fewer 911's per day and build 25 GT3's while still meeting overall demand. I guess we will see in a few months.

I don't believe the cost to build a $70k 718 leather dash is that much cheaper than a $160k GT3 dash and overall I'd be surprised if there wasn't just a few percent difference in all of the cars. GT3's aren't coming out of the factory with no or very few options anymore. Which car has more margin, the 718 or the GT3? Only Porsche knows and there is no point in arguing about it. Why would they be giving away the GT3's?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:01 PM
hlvg
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
As for the the cayman/boxster/718, sales numbers are supposed to be horrific. Porsche sold more GT4s than regular caymans. I've been told that 718s are rocks that can't be sold. I believe Porsche produced and sold more GT4s relative to the standard cayman
The same cannot be said for the 911, though.
Downsizing to 4 cyl. may have been the right play from a pollution perspective but it's a mistake from any other perspective IMHO.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread