Sponsored by:

OT: I am over winter in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Lee Canyon is even better and is still 1/2 hour from the strip and is about 7000 feet elevation too. When people think Las Vegas, they rarely think of roads like these. It's amazing what some elevation does to the scenery. Also plenty of opportunity to open up on the straight away on State road 160, which is the route from Las Vegas to Mt Charleston and Lee canyon.
That is great that you have a few roads to drive. You also have no state income tax! I didn’t expect that from Las Vegas. But for the ultimate in driving, Colorado is still tops imo. Off the top of my head...

1. Telluride via Million Dollar Highway
2. Breckenridge via 285
3. Pikes Peak
4. Mount Evans (aka The Western Dragon)
5. Estes Park
6. Tunnels galore
7. 10+ different twisty roads within 5 miles of my house
8. Mostly light traffic on these roads
9. Maintained roads (for the most part)
10. Amazing scenery
11. Mild winters. Mild summers. Lots of sun. So lots of driving opportunities. Through two winters only once or twice have i been unable to get out and drive at least once per week. The longest drought was two weeks. That says a lot about our weather.

We really need to organize a “Mile High in the Rockies” event. It would be spectacular.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I will just leave this here.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:31 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't ventured up State. NV is a pretty big State and I'm sure there are a lot more roads than I know of. Southern CO winters are mild, but the northern parts must be brutal in winter. So many open roads out here, and I haven't scratched the surface.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:44 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by 0to60
I haven't ventured up State. NV is a pretty big State and I'm sure there are a lot more roads than I know of. Southern CO winters are mild, but the northern parts must be brutal in winter. So many open roads out here, and I haven't scratched the surface.
Winters around Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs are definitely not bad. Sure we have some cold days, and snow, but overall pretty nice. And we don’t have brutal heat in the summer. Now in Fort Collins (near Wyoming) it gets colder. But most people live further south.

If you want to see about other driving roads, check out Butler Maps. Not sure if they have your state.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea winter has been terrible here too. Yesterday we crossed over the Boise river and followed the Payette river and it almost got cloudy, but the sun came out and it was 61 degrees.
Last year it was 16 below at this time of the year. This year everyone is either out driving on the road or on the golf course. We had 6 inches of snow when my GT3 got here but after New Years its been gorgeous. Of course I went down with a bad gall bladder and ended up having surgery last week, but I finally got out and got 200 miles on the car(400 total), all that closer to 9,000 RPM by next week. Every day this next week is 60+ plus sunny. Funny thing is every Lowes Home Depot around were just lined up with snow blowers for sale at Thanksgiving. I wonder where they went. Just like Denver (I almost took a job with Lockheed Martin there in the western Denver Campus) we have our storms but their gone in a few days, not counting last year. And just some spectacular driving roads in the mountains.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:34 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Yea winter has been terrible here too. Yesterday we crossed over the Boise river and followed the Payette river and it almost got cloudy, but the sun came out and it was 61 degrees.
Last year it was 16 below at this time of the year. This year everyone is either out driving on the road or on the golf course. We had 6 inches of snow when my GT3 got here but after New Years its been gorgeous. Of course I went down with a bad gall bladder and ended up having surgery last week, but I finally got out and got 200 miles on the car(400 total), all that closer to 9,000 RPM by next week. Every day this next week is 60+ plus sunny. Funny thing is every Lowes Home Depot around were just lined up with snow blowers for sale at Thanksgiving. I wonder where they went. Just like Denver (I almost took a job with Lockheed Martin there in the western Denver Campus) we have our storms but their gone in a few days, not counting last year. And just some spectacular driving roads in the mountains.
Hope your recovery is a quick one! Enjoy your car and the weather!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Dirty Bird 15
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was trying to find a thread on car storage in and around Denver and stumbled across this thread. Seems there is a good amount of folks in this thread that live in the area and I would appreciate any insight. I just accepted an offer for a new job out in Denver and will be moving from NYC next month. Don't know much about the area, but am looking to live close to downtown (walking distance to work). I have a 996 GT3 that I plan to transport once I get settled in. From what I read online, downtown Denver isn't the best place to keep my GT3 with homeless shelters and halfway houses, break-ins sound like a common issue. Even with apartments that have parking garages, it seems like it still could be a concern as they are not secured. Trying to find a solution where I can store my car in a secure garage with good access and reasonably priced. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

And if you see a guards red 996 GT3 driving around Denver next month, it will probably be me!

-Tomek
Old 03-21-2018, 11:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Hey Tomek. You are in for a real treat as we have tons of amazing driving roads here. Your GT3 will get driven! I am not sure about storage, but i will ask the guys about it and get back to you. Hopefully some local guys can also chime in.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Bird 15
Was trying to find a thread on car storage in and around Denver and stumbled across this thread. Seems there is a good amount of folks in this thread that live in the area and I would appreciate any insight. I just accepted an offer for a new job out in Denver and will be moving from NYC next month. Don't know much about the area, but am looking to live close to downtown (walking distance to work). I have a 996 GT3 that I plan to transport once I get settled in. From what I read online, downtown Denver isn't the best place to keep my GT3 with homeless shelters and halfway houses, break-ins sound like a common issue. Even with apartments that have parking garages, it seems like it still could be a concern as they are not secured. Trying to find a solution where I can store my car in a secure garage with good access and reasonably priced. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

And if you see a guards red 996 GT3 driving around Denver next month, it will probably be me!

-Tomek
Nice to have you as a new member of the club
Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

Thanks!

-Tomek
I work downtown and lived in LoDo for a number of years (also moved from Manhattan but a while ago). Lots of vagrants and there is crime in pockets, so like elsewhere depends on where you want to live. In many cases in building (parking garage) should be fine. Not many local options for private garage other than typical storage places. Curious where you are looking to live.

Good car community here so let us know when you land.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:24 PM
Dirty Bird 15
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hey Tomek. You are in for a real treat as we have tons of amazing driving roads here. Your GT3 will get driven! I am not sure about storage, but i will ask the guys about it and get back to you. Hopefully some local guys can also chime in.
Originally Posted by GrantG

Nice to have you as a new member of the club
Originally Posted by signes
I work downtown and lived in LoDo for a number of years (also moved from Manhattan but a while ago). Lots of vagrants and there is crime in pockets, so like elsewhere depends on where you want to live. In many cases in building (parking garage) should be fine. Not many local options for private garage other than typical storage places. Curious where you are looking to live.

Good car community here so let us know when you land.
Thanks guys! Its been a hectic couple of weeks, but finally getting settled in. Appreciate the kind words and warm welcome to Denver, it has truly been a great start to my stay here. Definitely a change of pace compared to NYC, but looking forward to getting around to all the great things Colorado has to offer. I ended up over in LoHi, right by Señor Bear, Postino, Occidental etc... and also work down in LoDo which I enjoy walking to work now instead of taking mass transit.

Did some research and could not find any solid car storage options besides the standard self-storage units as mentioned above. Will continue to ask around, but it seems like that might be my best bet. I do have a garage, so best to probably keep the GT3 in the garage and keep my other car (Subaru STi and Ducati in a self-storage). If y'all have any insight, would be helpful. Ideally, a secured self-storage place would work best, but more importantly, when I get the GT3 out here, when can I tag along for a drive!?

Cheers!
-Tomek
Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! Highlands is a fun neighborhood, esp when single and younger. Not sure you want to cross the I-25 pinch to get there (I wouldn't, esp week rush hr window), but fwiw, Black Mountain Motorsports should have a new secure facility done this summer just west of Wash Park.

Per your handle, any chance you're into Vonstroke?
Old 05-15-2018, 01:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I ended up over in LoHi, right by Señor Bear, Postino, Occidental etc... and also work down in LoDo which I enjoy walking to work now instead of taking mass transit.

Cheers!
-Tomek
Hi Tomek - Señor Bear has a nice Happy Hour

Lots of open track days this summer if you can get away on a Friday...

http://highplainsraceway.com/event-calendar/

Quick Reply: OT: I am over winter in Colorado