Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 02:45 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
True. The rich just get richer. While regular upper middle class business owners/professionals have to fight more for every dollar.
I’m off that 7 figure train now and have a lot of employees. Every blip in healthcare costs or corporate taxes has a very direct effect on my future. 200+ employees...if my overhead changes by 1-3% It’s a massive effect. I’m a small business owner in my field compared to the conglomerates for sure.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:08 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

991 GT cars are the new tulips. It’s a bubble. If it deflates, how many people are willing to and want to buy a GT2RS that depreciates like a normal premium car? How many are willing to lose $75k the first year and $150k over three? And of those, how many actually want it to drive? If it were like a turbo and you could buy one new off the lot or used low miles for 30% off how many of those clamoring to get one would bother? I am guessing not all that many and certainly not 3000. The demand is because of the speculation. Look at the RS. Over two years it went from up to $100k over and now they are back to basically MSRP. GT3.1 are well under MSRP. Has anyone bought or sold a 911R since the GT3 touring was announced? The 2x sticker or more I can’t believe is holding.

Porsche has built a lot of 991 GT/R/RS cars compared to the 997 let alone true low production vehicles like the 993 GT2 and I cant see them making fewer 991 GT2RS than 997 GT2 and GT2RS. Maybe I am wrong and they will all be worth a lot of money in 5-10-15-20-25 years, but I think, while still valuable, they will fall pretty hard after the initial fervor. The number of people who actually want one to use is a lot less than the number of people who want one just to speculate. And this is particularly the case with the GT2RS. I mean maybe there will be so few and the fact that it is the top of the heap will keep the prices up, but give it a couple years and my bet it you will be able to get one with low miles at sticker and it will probably go down further from there.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:21 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
991 GT cars are the new tulips. It’s a bubble. If it deflates, how many people are willing to and want to buy a GT2RS that depreciates like a normal premium car? How many are willing to lose $75k the first year and $150k over three? And of those, how many actually want it to drive? If it were like a turbo and you could buy one new off the lot or used low miles for 30% off how many of those clamoring to get one would bother? I am guessing not all that many and certainly not 3000. The demand is because of the speculation.
Agreed. Nevermind depreciation like a normal car, if the GT cars even went back to the prior GT car levels ie slower vs comparable cars but definitely still down, the level of demand would tank once they are not seen as free money (particularly for the early delivered cars).
Old 10-14-2017, 09:38 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I need to change something I posted earlier on the 720S - after thinking through all the car options and what to get next, I'm going to pick up a 720S off one of CJ's dealerships.

Not sure of timing yet as we'll work out the details, but excited to pick one up.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:43 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 151 Posts

^Congrats.. 720s is dam fast and looks incredible in person..
Old 10-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

I think long-term depreciation comes down to how 'special' a car is, in the sense of how liked the car is, how many were made, and whether cars in same genre are made after it.

On that basis, I predict that air-cooled 911s and 997 GT cars are likely to have limited depreciation going forward, but all of the 991 GT cars will eventually see normal depreciation. The GT2 RS is king of the hill for now, but something similar but better will likely come after it.

McLaren seems to keep producing 'similar but better' cars, so I can't see how the ones already made won't see normal depreciation.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:09 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
991 GT cars are the new tulips. It’s a bubble. If it deflates, how many people are willing to and want to buy a GT2RS that depreciates like a normal premium car? How many are willing to lose $75k the first year and $150k over three? And of those, how many actually want it to drive? If it were like a turbo and you could buy one new off the lot or used low miles for 30% off how many of those clamoring to get one would bother? I am guessing not all that many and certainly not 3000. The demand is because of the speculation. Look at the RS. Over two years it went from up to $100k over and now they are back to basically MSRP. GT3.1 are well under MSRP. Has anyone bought or sold a 911R since the GT3 touring was announced? The 2x sticker or more I can’t believe is holding.

Porsche has built a lot of 991 GT/R/RS cars compared to the 997 let alone true low production vehicles like the 993 GT2 and I cant see them making fewer 991 GT2RS than 997 GT2 and GT2RS. Maybe I am wrong and they will all be worth a lot of money in 5-10-15-20-25 years, but I think, while still valuable, they will fall pretty hard after the initial fervor. The number of people who actually want one to use is a lot less than the number of people who want one just to speculate. And this is particularly the case with the GT2RS. I mean maybe there will be so few and the fact that it is the top of the heap will keep the prices up, but give it a couple years and my bet it you will be able to get one with low miles at sticker and it will probably go down further from there.

RS given recent ADM's nothing is going to change replacement is 16 months away if the 2RS spec is 400k what do you thing the next RS is going to cost then add ADM.

McLaren is having a tougher time - they didn't sign up enough and or the right dealers. As they become stand alone and add dealers in the US production will barley keep up. It doesn't take a brain scientist to see factories are making dealers spend money to improve their brand hoping to be a benchmark brand so expect higher MSRP higher mechanic prices and parts.

Porsche can not will not produce enough GT cars. I don't think they care it makes their GT brand appear more special which is why the RS or any other special GT cars will never see much depreciation unlike a Tulip that were sold and traded on an exchange

Mclaren 720s is by far the coolest thing under 1m and the 570 Spider top notch as well.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-14-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Maybe this will provide some context as far as the incredible speed of the 720s. This was yesterday at Thunderhill. Mclaren 720s vs TdF, 918 Spyder, 675LT and Bugatti Chiron.

Stop reading if you’re worried about spoilers... the only car which kept up with the 720s was the Chiron, barely. This thing is insane. Off the charts fast. I’ve been on a test drive during pebble beach and got a taste of it... but not even half throttle.. this thing must destroy a P1 at 1/3 price.. pretty much unbeatable until you hit the $3M range with koenigsegg and Chiron.... with a base price of $280k. Mclaren is killing it.

https://youtu.be/rdJpthicsdc
as a follow-up..1/4 miles in the 9's and 5.2 sec to 100mph.. it's bloody quick.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ws&date=101617
Old 10-16-2017, 02:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
as a follow-up..1/4 miles in the 9's and 5.2 sec to 100mph.. it's bloody quick.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ws&date=101617
Yes, but a Dodge Demon is quicker, and about 1/3 of the price.

0-60 in 2.3 seconds, and hits the quarter-mile in 9.65 at more than 140 mph.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...s-performance/

But honestly, do we really care all that much about straight line speed? Cuz, what happens when you have turn that funny looking thing that use to be circular but is now more often an oblong hexagon?
Old 10-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I’m off that 7 figure train now and have a lot of employees. Every blip in healthcare costs or corporate taxes has a very direct effect on my future. 200+ employees...if my overhead changes by 1-3% It’s a massive effect. I’m a small business owner in my field compared to the conglomerates for sure.
I wasn't calling you out specifically CJ, I'm just annoyed that in the car world, there is the 918 type club of owners who get whatever they want, and flip cars freely making lots of extra money, while other porsche owners might still be great customers and buy a new 911 and cayenne every 3 years for 20 years and still not be able to get GT and other special cars.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rs-are-winning
Old 10-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Just another sign that this guy's got it right.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/flawe...100500982.html
Old 10-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Interesting article. The good thing is many of these cars end up on the secondary(used) market at a deal because the "rich" do not buy second-hand cars. Look at how many 458s and Huracans are for sale or had for a reasonable amount.

Being a Pilot fish is not a bad thing
Old 10-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Craigy-

Guys with 918 money...they have 1-3
918's. 1-3 x the vip cars= hoarding GT allocations also.

In this regard (gt2rs) there are enough people worldwide that can afford the 300-350 msrp.

Trust me- as a mclaren dealer i know a lot of them, but also...ferrari customers,
Lambo guys, ford GT applicants...add them up there are 10,000 guys who could buy it.

Good points!!

Lots of people out there with money, more than most realize.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yes, but a Dodge Demon is quicker, and about 1/3 of the price.

0-60 in 2.3 seconds, and hits the quarter-mile in 9.65 at more than 140 mph.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...s-performance/

But honestly, do we really care all that much about straight line speed? Cuz, what happens when you have turn that funny looking thing that use to be circular but is now more often an oblong hexagon?
Hold on, the speed is not to the exclusion of turning ability on the 720s as it is in the demon.. it’s proportional. I didn’t think it was necessary to point that out. The incredible acceleration doesn’t make it a one-trick pony. I’ve driven this car, not on track, and it’s An amazing blend of usability, comfort, and yes, performance. the only problems mclaren has as far as I can tell are a reliability stigma it needs to overcome, and maybe sound.. this brand will soon be recognized as an outsized performer, and value for money. I’m not a fanboy, just a gearhead who like many on here have experienced many cars and trying to form an objective opinion. I’m still a high revving manual NA aficionado anytime I can find that Combo, but I can recognize a winner when I see one.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success