Sponsored by:

Leaked Picture Of 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3R-S
heres a leaked picture of the New GT3, rumors are saying it has a wing delete option, can be orderd with manual, and also 911R Stripes. Basically something to scr*w over 911R Owners.
Porsche is in business to make money, I doubt they care about screwing over customers. Besides, the 918 owners are doing just fine.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Slightly OT - but why do people want wing delete? The wing is pretty important, no?

(Honest question here, not trying to start some big thing.)
R Envy
Old 01-05-2017, 11:07 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 95 Posts

Here is the original photo:

Old 01-05-2017, 11:30 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "location" is the RC Harris water treatment plant in Toronto, a favorite location for local Porsche enthusiasts apparently

Old 01-06-2017, 12:06 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
R Envy
Maybe but also irritation. I mean for **** sakes it's barely different than a GT3 but it IS different in all the ways that matter to many of us. I'd like a "club sport" GT3 or 911 or whichever damn model I DON'T CARE!!!

All I want is the driving experience! No sound deadening, manual, the good seats, etc...and that doesn't have to cost a dime over the cost of a regular GT3.

So here I am, a long time 911 buyer and I just bought a Viper ACR because I can actually get one (though that wasn't as easy as it was a year ago) and because Porsche made this MILD variation so "exclusive" every ****ing moron thinks it's the next 70s RSR or something.

Why is this so hard PAG? There are plenty of customers that want a raw, direct, manual...just build enough of them!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Speaking of wing delete, I always wondered why non-GT Porsches always has "active aero" via the foldout panel and the GT cars lose that ability. Not that the regular thing matters much since you cannot retract it DRS-like when going for high top speed only, but still.

Of course if you want to actually compete you can't have active aero by regular, but in the street segment some competitors offer it, e.g. McLaren.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

On the 991.2, that active aero wing has actually become quite large vs the 991.1, extending further to the edges of the car… Also seems to have quite a significant angle of attack, visually more than the one on the GT3.. even though it's much lower in the airflow. I wonder how they compare in Porsches aerodynamic testing. If there were to be a wingless option, maybe there wouldn't be as much downforce lost as we assume?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Keep in mind the diffuser under the car on the R.

Helps with downforce.

Name:  photo950.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  454.4 KB
Old 01-06-2017, 02:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
On the 991.2, that active aero wing has actually become quite large vs the 991.1, extending further to the edges of the car… Also seems to have quite a significant angle of attack, visually more than the one on the GT3.. even though it's much lower in the airflow. I wonder how they compare in Porsches aerodynamic testing. If there were to be a wingless option, maybe there wouldn't be as much downforce lost as we assume?
Yes, I think there is a retractable wing on one of the optional Sport Design aero packages for the .2 Carrera that has a much sharper angle of attack than on the normal version - seems like this would be used on any Wing-Delete GT3 (if not mythical)...
Old 01-06-2017, 02:27 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, I think there is a retractable wing on one of the optional Sport Design aero packages for the .2 Carrera that has a much sharper angle of attack than on the normal version - seems like this would be used on any Wing-Delete GT3 (if not mythical)...
Seems the 911 Rs wing is borrowed from the Cabriolet with greater attack angle.

https://www.pca.org/news/2016-03-01/...now-about-911r

I don't get the holy grail attitude about the R. It's a parts bin car (albeit a desirable combination) that they can recreate at will and incorporate everything they've learned (about engineering and what the market wants) into GT3 or any other model.

As if it should preclude a wingless GT3 or a manual GT3 because of 900 918 buyers who mostly flipped it (or are trying to flip it) anyway...
Old 01-06-2017, 03:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is the rear wing I was talking about (video of its deployment on a Coupe shown here - maybe same as Cab and 911R??):

http://porschecentreoakvillemotorspo...-nurburgring/#
Old 01-06-2017, 03:32 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The 911 isn't shaped like most other cars. It doesn't cut off the air in the back like other cars do (relying on vortexes to keep drag down). Air flows down the 911's back. So the low placement of the whatever we call the active body panel might not indicate how effective it is.

Keep in mind that the diffuser at the rear of the car tries to create more (GT3) or less (vanilla 911) underpressure to rip air from out of under the car.

The diffuser's work is made a bit less effective if there is air coming down the back of the body, and of course the diffuser sucks the air that way in the first place.

Making a ski ramp that catapults the air flowing down the back of the 911 away from the diffuser's designated work area can have a huge impact. Most of the additional downforce from the moving 911 body panel I would expect to come from making the diffuser more effective, not such much force on the wing itself. Of course that depends on how much diffusing the body is built to achieve in the first place.

I wonder whether Porsche ever published the lift coefficients (front and rear) for the 911 variants. IMHO this should be indicated on the aerokit options in the builder. Hah.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:34 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
This is the rear wing I was talking about (video of its deployment on a Coupe shown here - maybe same as Cab and 911R??):

http://porschecentreoakvillemotorspo...-nurburgring/#

Wow indeed!

Originally Posted by squid42
The 911 isn't shaped like most other cars. It doesn't cut off the air in the back like other cars do (relying on vortexes to keep drag down). Air flows down the 911's back. So the low placement of the whatever we call the active body panel might not indicate how effective it is.

Keep in mind that the diffuser at the rear of the car tries to create more (GT3) or less (vanilla 911) underpressure to rip air from out of under the car.

The diffuser's work is made a bit less effective if there is air coming down the back of the body, and of course the diffuser sucks the air that way in the first place.

Making a ski ramp that catapults the air flowing down the back of the 911 away from the diffuser's designated work area can have a huge impact. Most of the additional downforce from the moving 911 body panel I would expect to come from making the diffuser more effective, not such much force on the wing itself. Of course that depends on how much diffusing the body is built to achieve in the first place.

I wonder whether Porsche ever published the lift coefficients (front and rear) for the 911 variants. IMHO this should be indicated on the aerokit options in the builder. Hah.
They publish them in their extended media kits.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LastMezger
Wow indeed!
Now that I look at the video again, there is a bigger lip on the trailing edge of the wing (like a Gurney flap that was mentioned in your posted 911R article - where they said the Gurney flap produced more downforce but too much stress on the mechanism on the 911R). So, maybe this new wing has more downforce than 911R (as well as the necessarily strengthening of the structure)...
Old 01-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Keep in mind the diffuser under the car on the R.

Helps with downforce.

Attachment 1123206
are there cutouts for the oil pan on the 911R diffuser, or do you need to remove it for oil changes and the like?

Quick Reply: Leaked Picture Of 991.2 GT3