Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, I have an allocation for late 17 and going to see car at Geneva next week. Agreed deposit and order today. Looking forward to it.

However, and this is comfirmd.....its PDK only, and Turbo!!

My RS6 has been a good car, but think this Panamera will be a good step up, now I can get 3 kids in the back.

(Apologies to Jimmy-D)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Just seems like the EXACT SAME story each time.. scarcity principle is the most basic of all selling techniques, and the urgency to buy which it creates can extend to other models. Salesperson just wants the customer eating out of his hand, he wants to be the gatekeeper.. this is the story which is woven. Customers have short memories, so the cycle repeats itself.
+991.2

On the one hand, while your salesman will slyly imply that whatever particular model you want to configure via allocation will be borderline impossible to get (GTx cars, 991.2 GTS, Macan GTS, even new Panny for now), be sure to look over his shoulder at the massive renovations and multi-level parking decks that Porsche dealerships have been undertaking as of late.

They have done this to sell more cars, not less.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier

Right! Also mid-engine,carbon tub,pushrod suspension,Lambo doors and Walter Rohrl will come as a personal driver to each GT3 customer,for 1 scheduled day.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

So, I have an allocation for late 17 and going to see car at Geneva next week. Agreed deposit and order today. Looking forward to it.

My RS6 has been a good car, but think this Panamera will be a good step up, now I can get 3 kids in the back.

(Apologies to Jimmy-D)
Congrats to the Panamera Turbo Gran Turismo
Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Porsche is in business to make money. Producing cars are only the means to the end. The only reason to keep the GT3 scarce is if doing so allows them to make generate more cashflow elsewhere than they would just selling more of the GT3 car. It's not whether to make a GT car or not, it's how many. The argument that selling fewer of them than the market demands somehow increases the overall cash flow of the company is ridiculous. The fact that someone who wants one can't get a GT3 or that there are fewer of them on the road doesn't increase sales of anything. If anything it just drives customers to other brands.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Porsche is in business to make money. Producing cars are only the means to the end. The only reason to keep the GT3 scarce is if doing so allows them to make generate more cashflow elsewhere than they would just selling more of the GT3 car. It's not whether to make a GT car or not, it's how many. The argument that selling fewer of them than the market demands somehow increases the overall cash flow of the company is ridiculous. The fact that someone who wants one can't get a GT3 or that there are fewer of them on the road doesn't increase sales of anything. If anything it just drives customers to other brands.
Archimedes,where were you the last time around?(I mean when the 991.1 GT3 came out) You had to be living under a rock in order not to get a GT3. They made plenty! They will make even more this time around! But it's not a Toyota Camry,Honda Accord or Ford F-150. Also,you HAVE to put your name down and wait,there's no other way! And I'll say it again : California sucks when it comes to getting an allocation! New York is not even close! You can get an allocation here,you don't have to go in NYC,just visit the Tri-State area.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Right! Also mid-engine,carbon tub,pushrod suspension,Lambo doors and Walter Rohrl will come as a personal driver to each GT3 customer,for 1 scheduled day.
None of those on the Panamera I've ordered ;-)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

None of those on the Panamera I've ordered ;-)
Got it!
Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

There's a marketing and leverage aspect to the GT cars. Have you not read anything I've commented on??

If it's that easy ... Go walk into ANY US dealer and order one at MSRP then. They'll have you one the first batch that gets delivered.

Even with the last 991.1 GT3's you couldn't just walk into a dealer and buy one for MSRP even at the end of production. They were all asking over MSRP.

Last edited by STG; 03-02-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I read somewhere or heard that the 911R was a love letter from Porsche to its best customers, but really thats what GT cars are a love letter from the company to us, and if we dont get the love letter we become bitter jilted lovers, some of us are married and dont leave Porsche and some cheat with Mclaren or turn gay with audi
Old 03-02-2017, 05:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
I read somewhere or heard that the 911R was a love letter from Porsche to its best customers, but really thats what GT cars are a love letter from the company to us, and if we dont get the love letter we become bitter jilted lovers, some of us are married and dont leave Porsche and some cheat with Mclaren or turn gay with audi
LOL!!!! "Turn gay with Audi"
Old 03-02-2017, 06:00 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Seranad
just got my allocation call

configuration in the next few days

bad news: it will be a short run only with very few allocations and no extended run.

at least that's what I was told

before I was under the impression they will produce as many as possible to satisfy demand, it now looks like that is not the case

I can only speculate that a GT touring, the GT2 coming or other special models are in the pipeline so production capacity for GT cars is limited

congratulations to everybody who got a call!
Congrats to you, but I call BS on the limited run. They'll make GT3s for 2 model years and build more of them than the .1GT3s. First allocations won't be a lot and many of them will go to the VIPs for the flip fest.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The production line is shared with street 911's and 718's. Limited # they can make each day. Trust me, they'll make more of those before any GT cars given the choice.
They aren't building any other GT cars...GT3RS done...R done. 911s and Caymans not selling well. Build baby build. I heard the same crap with the RSs and they building and building and building.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not whether to make a GT car or not, it's how many. The argument that selling fewer of them than the market demands somehow increases the overall cash flow of the company is ridiculous.
Porsche has the greatest marketing formula in world. They know the regular customer base for the most part has no patience but everyone has a pre disposition to require a GT car because everyone tells them about gosh forsaken resale value (strong but more of a 997 and earlier trait)????, and those that don't want to wait for a GT product will step up (or down depending on what type of car suits your fancy) on regular 911. Those that have patience will wait for a GT product on order and enjoy when it arrives but many have several other cars to use in meantime so no losing sleep. Porsche creates a unique demand that keeps transaction prices at MSRP or above and that pays decent margin for dealers (yes even at MSRP, and as dealer you get even more margin if you have adhered to the required facility upgrades to dealership that Porsche wants you to do...no brainer finaincially if a good dealer principle at play) and keeps them happy. Porsche has created a very strong owner base and the test now is to balance the amount of defectors to McLaren and other competitors that wont wait but at end of day I always say the best marketing pitch to a rich guy is to tell him he can't have it, he will do a lot of things and dig deep to get what he wants! Just watch the $$$ come in and Porsche knows it preserves brand obsession by just making the very perfect demand driven amount of units. Trust me it has everything to do with cash flow......because if they made 12k units per year they wouldn't be sought after, and while that works for us it hurts the dealers in USA that only average 20-30 units a month!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
There's a marketing and leverage aspect to the GT cars. Have you not read anything I've commented on??

If it's that easy ... Go walk into ANY US dealer and order one at MSRP then. They'll have you one the first batch that gets delivered.

Even with the last 991.1 GT3's you couldn't just walk into a dealer and buy one for MSRP even at the end of production. They were all asking over MSRP.
I've been surprised whenever I've heard this. I could have (but passed) and know plenty of others that did purchase 991.1gt3 at MSRP. I don't know ANYONE that paid over. I'm sure they exist because had to have one NOW. but my perception is that lion-share of 991.1 Gt3 were sold at MSRP. I don't know if people just blending RS premiums back to gt3 or what. I do remember some dealers holding onto last 2016 build-able allocations for big money but that's all I ever head of going for premiums new.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update