991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 GT3 Engine Fault code

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016 | 06:41 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

Would a top end rebuild lead to further problems? Camshaft? Misfire etc.....
I plan on driving the car properly (9000 rpm) shifts. I would hate this to become a problem as warranty runs out
Old 12-21-2016 | 06:49 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

Just got email from SA....... Porsche advised to "replace the cylinder head, since it was deemed the issue is in the heads and haven't passed into the blocks"
Old 12-21-2016 | 06:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Do a search on the long engine thread running on this forum. A few had top end rebuilds and their engines are fine for now. There's still one variable here and it's very much dependent on how good your dealer is : at least one member here was told he's getting a top end rebuild,but upon disassembly when further damage was observed and the recommendation of the Porsche dealer,in that particular case,PAG agreed to send a new engine instead.
Old 12-21-2016 | 06:58 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
As far as I've been reading no extra warranty,but I might be wrong on that depending on your market.

Getting a new engine is always going to be better. I've said this in the past,all the metal from the damaged area travels inside your engine and could cause blockage of tiny oil passages,score cylinder walls etc. For some reason Porsche thinks it's " ok " to just do a rebuild...
Demand to see the worn fingers followers. And a new one.

Weight them.

Ask them where the weight difference went.
Old 12-21-2016 | 07:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by squid42

Weight them.

That's a bit too scientific IMO. Normally,the dealer is not your " enemy " here. They are doing the job and getting paid for it. Trust me,they'd rather put in a new engine than do a rebuild. PAG sends these engines with everything on them. A 16 years old can install this engine in 4-5 hours. Doing a rebuild is a totally different story and can come back to bite you.
You'd probably want to have " wear and weight " conversation with PAG,but that's not possible...
Old 12-21-2016 | 08:00 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
That's a bit too scientific IMO. Normally,the dealer is not your " enemy " here. They are doing the job and getting paid for it. Trust me,they'd rather put in a new engine than do a rebuild. PAG sends these engines with everything on them. A 16 years old can install this engine in 4-5 hours. Doing a rebuild is a totally different story and can come back to bite you.
You'd probably want to have " wear and weight " conversation with PAG,but that's not possible...
You will help the dealer a great deal if you prove that 3.88 grams of steel have disappeared inside the engine and did not surface anywhere where they can be scooped up.
Old 12-21-2016 | 08:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Weight them.

I like your thinking Squid!
Old 12-22-2016 | 10:17 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
I like your thinking Squid!
I have seen that a spare part finger follower only costs $91. I'm tempted to get one for tinkering.

I would still much prefer to get a worn one! Anybody? Bueller? Anybody?
Old 12-22-2016 | 11:39 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

You will help the dealer a great deal if you prove that 3.88 grams of steel have disappeared inside the engine and did not surface anywhere where they can be scooped up.
They will tell you it is in the filter. Have the filter cut open and document what it captured. Take an oil sample and have it analyzed, and take lots of pictures. The dealer is on your side and they will document all this and send it to PAG. Good luck!

Carmen
Old 12-22-2016 | 01:34 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CDinSing
They will tell you it is in the filter. Have the filter cut open and document what it captured. Take an oil sample and have it analyzed, and take lots of pictures. The dealer is on your side and they will document all this and send it to PAG. Good luck!

Carmen
Yes, exactly. The whole point of the exercise is to provide your dealer with more ammo to take on Porsche.
Old 12-22-2016 | 03:17 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

+1 on having dealer on your side.
I can confirm from my own experience with an oil burner from a different manufacturer over a decade ago.. dealerships want the warranty work.. They will work with you to get as much replaced as possible (had 3 motors swapped under warranty) .
Old 12-29-2016 | 08:24 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

So SA called. They replaced all cylinders heads and camshaft just got in from Germany. Car should be ready in couple days. So my question is should ask Porsche for extended warranty as a compensation ? Or that only happens when you get a new engine ???
Old 12-29-2016 | 09:16 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Princealidds
So SA called. They replaced all cylinders heads and camshaft just got in from Germany. Car should be ready in couple days. So my question is should ask Porsche for extended warranty as a compensation ? Or that only happens when you get a new engine ???
With all the known engine issue's out there, you should get something. I would definitely ask for some form of compensation, extended warranty would be nice.
Old 01-03-2017 | 01:24 AM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

So got word from SA car will be ready tomorrow. He told me to keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles. What do you guys recommend? Top end rebuild requires break in period ?
Old 01-03-2017 | 08:55 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Princealidds
So got word from SA car will be ready tomorrow. He told me to keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles. What do you guys recommend? Top end rebuild requires break in period ?
If it was me, I would do what they suggest just in case you have anymore issue's they can't say you didn't do the proper break-in.

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 Engine Fault code