Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 R available for $530,000

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rational choice theory: Does a $200,000 GT3RS quality as a rational choice for a human being? Does a $140,000 Carrera S? Nothing bought at this level makes rational sense, so who cares if some people take it up a notch? Digits on a computer screen or a 911 in the garage.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:20 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Some guy or gal is going to get a year-end bonus next month for 10X's this car price. Who cares what they spend or splurge their money on?
Answer: A sadly large number of people on Rennlist.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Thanksgiving

I'd like to believe that when I post on RL I'm communicating to others that have a similar passion as myself for automobiles, specifically Porsches'. The new 911 R may not appeal to everyone. But for me, this has nothing to do with money, value, investment, flipping. Over the years I've made some money on cars and lost some money. But I always have fun.

I've test driven the McLaren 570S. Really nice car but not for me. I was a Ferrari Challenge driver for years and owned many Ferrari street cars as well. The 458, 488 are also great cars but not for me. To get to the point, I want a manual gearbox in my cars. I also prefer no wing on the street. Certainly the 991 R has little to do with a '67 R. But they had to call it something.

The car could not be closer to my personal wish list for a modern car. It's a contemporary 964 RS. And for the record, my USA Carrera Cup #1, which was in fact a U.S. legal RS Basic, was delivered to me with standard comfort seats and was wingless. I can't afford a 908/3 or even a good '74 3.0 RS. But that doesn't make them any less great and I'd buy them if I could. I expect that many people paying a premium for the R feel the same way. I've driven the car. I'd rather drive the R over any McLaren or modern Ferrari at any price. But we're all different and thankfully we have the freedom to choose what we personally like.

When I first drove the R last April I could not believe how good it was. And on this Thanksgiving, I am very thankful that I was given the opportunity to order a car. But in my book there's nothing wrong with a manual 991 (NA) base 911 sunroof delete or NA MT GTS! Numbered cars? Investments? I think everyone who loves these cars should be driving a 911R! I can only hope that the MT GT3 is very available so the value of an R drops like a rock. Then I'd buy another. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:54 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

^^^^^
Best post
Old 11-24-2016, 01:05 PM
greens
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
^^^^^
Best post
co-signed
Old 11-24-2016, 01:39 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Couldn't be said any better. Very well articulated. I LOVE 911R.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Originally Posted by Suitcase
I'd like to believe that when I post on RL I'm communicating to others that have a similar passion as myself for automobiles, specifically Porsches'. The new 911 R may not appeal to everyone. But for me, this has nothing to do with money, value, investment, flipping. Over the years I've made some money on cars and lost some money. But I always have fun.

I've test driven the McLaren 570S. Really nice car but not for me. I was a Ferrari Challenge driver for years and owned many Ferrari street cars as well. The 458, 488 are also great cars but not for me. To get to the point, I want a manual gearbox in my cars. I also prefer no wing on the street. Certainly the 991 R has little to do with a '67 R. But they had to call it something.

The car could not be closer to my personal wish list for a modern car. It's a contemporary 964 RS. And for the record, my USA Carrera Cup #1, which was in fact a U.S. legal RS Basic, was delivered to me with standard comfort seats and was wingless. I can't afford a 908/3 or even a good '74 3.0 RS. But that doesn't make them any less great and I'd buy them if I could. I expect that many people paying a premium for the R feel the same way. I've driven the car. I'd rather drive the R over any McLaren or modern Ferrari at any price. But we're all different and thankfully we have the freedom to choose what we personally like.

When I first drove the R last April I could not believe how good it was. And on this Thanksgiving, I am very thankful that I was given the opportunity to order a car. But in my book there's nothing wrong with a manual 991 (NA) base 911 sunroof delete or NA MT GTS! Numbered cars? Investments? I think everyone who loves these cars should be driving a 911R! I can only hope that the MT GT3 is very available so the value of an R drops like a rock. Then I'd buy another. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:01 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice read. People don't realize how close these variants are. A 5% increase in performance can cost over a $150k. Most people focus on chasing a dream and forget what right in front of them. Enjoy in good health.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

bravo suitcase
cars are toys
if any of u haven't watched toy story 3 drive ur p car to see it now

well
i think it's too old not in theater anymore
the best movies today are kiddie cartoons.

they dirtiest most beat up toys are the ones that are truly loved. i still have my fiset plush toy! and dare i say play with it still. i'll sell my 4.0 b4 i let that plush toy go

i digress
buy whatever car u want
just drive it
ur toys should not outlast u

i don't have the $ for a500000 R
if i did, i'll get one
and start driving it
Old 11-24-2016, 04:44 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

Old 11-24-2016, 09:33 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

What % of net worth is rational to spend on a car like this? Some say 30% in the market, 30% real estate, 10% precious metals and 30% cash... Where do cars or car collections figure into this? I'm being serious here. Trying to plan my retirement.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:12 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 226 Posts

PM SENT!

LOL...jk. Come on...someone had to!
Old 11-25-2016, 12:31 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
What % of net worth is rational to spend on a car like this? Some say 30% in the market, 30% real estate, 10% precious metals and 30% cash... Where do cars or car collections figure into this? I'm being serious here. Trying to plan my retirement.
Regarding any sports cars, collectible or otherwise. I always say never buy one unless you can afford two.

50% Market
25% Real Estate
5% Cash
10% Gold/Silver (insurance)
10% Art/Cars - Porsches included
Old 11-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
My rule has always been that my toys (cars, motos, ski boats) must be less than 10% of my net worth, preferably less than 5%. I'm not comfortable when they're over 5 percent honestly.

I wouldn't be buying a car like this unless my net worth was north of $10 mil.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:29 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm in the camp that believes a 991R is a bone thrown to the dogs. This car will never depreciate. In fact it's value will sore over time. Porsche knows this and rewards its loyalists by releasing it only to them. This is a big boy toy tied into the 1%ers privilege.
If my net worth was $1,500,000 and I owned a 911R. It would water down the status quo.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:35 PM
dmtsc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I'm in the camp that believes a 991R is a bone thrown to the dogs. This car will never depreciate. In fact it's value will sore over time. Porsche knows this and rewards its loyalists by releasing it only to them. This is a big boy toy tied into the 1%ers privilege.
If my net worth was $1,500,000 and I owned a 911R. It would water down the status quo.
I agree, some things are for the privileged among us. That leaves me out.

Quick Reply: 911 R available for $530,000