Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE71-R for GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Check OLOA results for the last 4 years.

No RE71R fits a GT3 properly, even the 305x19 is too narrow.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
When I called Phil’s Tire (dealer for these) about those, they told me they won’t fit on the rear 12” wheels either...

Do you know someone who used them successfully?
Mech33 has with good results
Old 12-05-2019, 06:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,043 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thx - I’ll try to get an update from him on the Nakang thread...
Old 12-05-2019, 11:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,398 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Try the Nankang AR-1.
Originally Posted by A/S
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Check OLOA results for the last 4 years.
How do they compare with the Cup 2?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,043 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The Nankang is a potential competitor, but the 4S is a pure road tire.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
I believe he was one second faster and set a PB with the tires over cup2
Old 12-06-2019, 08:00 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

However, I know there's no correct size of RE-71R for GT3 20" wheels and that the tires will stretch when mounted on 20" wheels. My question was more in terms of: have more people done it, was it OK, was it safe at the track without the side walls destroying themselves from being suboptimal mount.

I don't really plan on running RE-71R at the track. I run Hoosier R7 on separate 19" wheels. I'm looking at RE-71R as street tires on stock 20" wheels, if it rains at the track, and if the Hoosiers die mid-event and I need something short term to tide me over 'til the end of event.

For more background, I ask these questions because I hated driving on Cup 2s at the track when I first got the car. Grip was mediocre and PSM was frequently kicking in, just ruining the driving experience. There were multiple variables and factors for this, including: it was my first time at the track in the car, my alignment wasn't optimal (long story but couldn't get alignment done before track day), I was used to flogging mid-engine Porsches on the track, I don't know how many heat cycles these Cup 2s had since they came with the car, etc. However, I've since changed my driving style to better suit the rear engine. Also, I didn't have these problems driving on Hoosiers at the same event.

I'm not looking for a bunch of discussion on how I need to change my driving style, I need to try driving on brand new Cup 2s, what my alignment was, how many heat cycles are acceptable for Cup 2, what tire pressures I was running, etc. I'm running Hoosiers on track and they've great when complemented with change in driving style and better alignment. All I'm wondering is whether RE-71R is an acceptable alternative to Cup 2 for street driving and as emergency/rain tires at the track. Don't care all that much about some rear oversteer as long as the tire walls don't disintegrate on the track, etc.

Joe, thanks for the Nankang recommendation (didn't know about them). But they don't look too friendly for street and rain driving.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

However, I know there's no correct size of RE-71R for GT3 20" wheels and that the tires will stretch when mounted on 20" wheels. My question was more in terms of: have more people done it, was it OK, was it safe at the track without the side walls destroying themselves from being suboptimal mount.

I don't really plan on running RE-71R at the track. I run Hoosier R7 on separate 19" wheels. I'm looking at RE-71R as street tires on stock 20" wheels, if it rains at the track, and if the Hoosiers die mid-event and I need something short term to tide me over 'til the end of event.

For more background, I ask these questions because I hated driving on Cup 2s at the track when I first got the car. Grip was mediocre and PSM was frequently kicking in, just ruining the driving experience. There were multiple variables and factors for this, including: it was my first time at the track in the car, my alignment wasn't optimal (long story but couldn't get alignment done before track day), I was used to flogging mid-engine Porsches on the track, I don't know how many heat cycles these Cup 2s had since they came with the car, etc. However, I've since changed my driving style to better suit the rear engine. Also, I didn't have these problems driving on Hoosiers at the same event.

I'm not looking for a bunch of discussion on how I need to change my driving style, I need to try driving on brand new Cup 2s, what my alignment was, how many heat cycles are acceptable for Cup 2, what tire pressures I was running, etc. I'm running Hoosiers on track and they've great when complemented with change in driving style and better alignment. All I'm wondering is whether RE-71R is an acceptable alternative to Cup 2 for street driving and as emergency/rain tires at the track. Don't care all that much about some rear oversteer as long as the tire walls don't disintegrate on the track, etc.

Joe, thanks for the Nankang recommendation (didn't know about them). But they don't look too friendly for street and rain driving.
Vet, as was mentioned before, I have run the 295-30/20 Re71r on the gt3. The tires will fit, but they are really stretched and the performance is definitely affected. Rear grip is compromised. I guess you could run them as street tires, but I wouldn't run them on track. If they will be street only, you might as well just run the ps4s tires.

Last edited by orthojoe; 12-06-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:15 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 348 Posts

I'm ready for a new set of tires, I'll ping Marty. I guess the main question I have at this point is how they hold up.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:24 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

How do the RE-71R's fair as a street tire? I want something that I can use for the occasional DE but can also handle a weekend trip or rain.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:10 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm about to place for sale a mother load (dozens) of RE71R in different sizes with very little use (1 or 2 track sessions, and less than 100 miles on each pair). I bought all the 19" and 20" sizes around 2-3 years ago to test them in various cars (Audi R8, C7Z06, 991 Carrera S).

The RE71R is a time trial street tire, this is not a DE tire or track day tire. It is much better than the PSC2 in the rain. I would never recommend RE71R as a street tire, the sidewalls are too stiff, the tires are loud, and despite being better in the rain than a Cup2, they are not good in the rain. After you have set your fast lap, then they fade and get greasy, stick well, but I don't like greasy tires.

The true best street tire is the Michelin PS4. More than awesome in the rain. Long lasting, so difficult to finish them, no auto-heat cycling from normal road driving on warm days on the streets (something the SportMaxxRace, Cup2, RE71R, R1S would do).

Performance-wise, the PS4 is not a track tire, but at my local track (Palm Beach) they only trail the Trofeo R (which is faster than a Cup2, and consistent, and sticks for longer) by 1.5 secs a lap. On Hoosier R7 I put another 1 sec per lap over the Trofeo R (but on HooHoo I run wider sizes), and on Pirelli scrubs another 1.3s over the Trofeo R, all these differences on my old 991.1 GT3 RS when I tested back-to-back.

So, a 2.5 secs difference between PS4 and Trofeo R on a less than 90 seconds lap amounts to 1.6-1.7s per minute on lap time.

If you're chasing lap times, put the car on race tires, lots of options. If you're chasing lap times and need a backup tire, do what I do: 2 sets of wheels with a fresher set of race tires and a set of not so fresh. If you just want a backup set of tires that serves for street duties, enjoy PS4s with N-specification and give up some time on the lap timer.

Most cars at the track days I attend are nowhere near the lap times or driving limits of the cars, and that's fine as long as everyone is having safe fun, so a couple of seconds per lap difference on a set of backup tires because the main track tires died in the middle of the day is not a big deal.

R1S, RE71R, Cup2, Cup2R, TrofeoR, R888R, SportMaxxRace2, Corsa, A052, all of these stuff heat cycles with street driving on warm weather. None of these things take more than 24 HC before becoming hard and dangerous. The exception is people living in colder climates, with short street driving distances, or cold pavement, where the tire won't touch 150+ F on core temperature, then they won't heat cycle.

Nothing wrong with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th set of wheels. One single set for all things street/track is not clever.

Quick Reply: RE71-R for GT3?