991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this be the 991.2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016 | 02:25 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

agreed sir...patience is the name of the game!
Old 07-14-2016 | 04:09 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Was it hard to get a 991.1 gt3, unless u lived under a rock and decided you needed a build slot a month before they shut down production of them? I honestly don't know anyone that didn't get one that didn't fall into the last-minute bucket mentioned above.

Are some role assuming the RS games bleed into 991.2gt3? I assume it will be more like 991.1 gt3. I guess the manual thing could pop demand initially but still not convinced pdk won't still out-sell manual even in US.
Old 07-14-2016 | 04:22 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Sounds like I'll get my RS just in time (dec delivery) for it to become a useless, unwanted purple paper weight given the 991.2 gt3 will be around the corner a few mos later. I'm sure it will out-perform the 991.1rs in every way and offer that oh-so-missed 3rd pedal. I'll probably have to give it away if I want to sell it.

Luckily I am awe struck by those two magic letters: RS. I sold my 997.1 and 997.2 gt3's but still own the RS's.

But seriously, all the RS leg humping over the last 12 mos as greatest-car-ever will be gone before the last 991.1rs even hits dealer delivery. There will be a new kid in town. And, I'd be shocked if 991.2 gt3 doesn't crush 991.1rs performance for less money and better convenience.

That being said, I probably still won't back out on my dec soon-to-be purple paper weight.
Old 07-14-2016 | 04:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
And, I'd be shocked if 991.2 gt3 doesn't crush 991.1rs performance for less money and better convenience.
Less money, but I think performance and convenience will be about the same (with the RS excelling where it can leverage its downforce).
Old 07-14-2016 | 04:48 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Porsche always ups the performance envelope. How else do they sell cars?

But the RS is always an RS.

Expect premiums on the new GT3 over MSRP also. What makes you think next time around will be different than last time around.
Old 07-14-2016 | 05:49 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Originally Posted by RickyGT3
I prefer the 991.1 front facia.

Lets wait until Geneva and see what this ends up looking like.
Anyone that thinks the release will be earlier then March 2017 (Geneva Motor Show)?
Old 07-14-2016 | 05:50 PM
2006Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Sounds like I'll get my RS just in time (dec delivery) for it to become a useless, unwanted purple paper weight given the 991.2 gt3 will be around the corner a few mos later. I'm sure it will out-perform the 991.1rs in every way and offer that oh-so-missed 3rd pedal. I'll probably have to give it away if I want to sell it.

Luckily I am awe struck by those two magic letters: RS. I sold my 997.1 and 997.2 gt3's but still own the RS's.

But seriously, all the RS leg humping over the last 12 mos as greatest-car-ever will be gone before the last 991.1rs even hits dealer delivery. There will be a new kid in town. And, I'd be shocked if 991.2 gt3 doesn't crush 991.1rs performance for less money and better convenience.

That being said, I probably still won't back out on my dec soon-to-be purple paper weight.
lmao....man did i get a kick out of this. i know you'll enjoy your paperweight for a good long while, despite what may come next.
Old 07-14-2016 | 06:53 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by Marcus S.
Anyone that thinks the release will be earlier then March 2017 (Geneva Motor Show)?
Franfurt release is what expect. The GT2RS will day view in Geneva.
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interesting discussion, not new by any means.

My views are probably late 130s for the manual and early 140s for the PDK. I dont believe the Manual will have the LWFW option, they will leave that to the RS or not at all as it was a USP on the limited edition R. Design changes will minimal.

I think we will see the exterior with new rear lights and front DRLs, a few nips and ticks and crease changes. I expect the wheels to say the same - it would be a shame if they changed them. Interior wise Id expect the upgrade to the Carplay system and the nylon door straps (I really dont like them in the 991 RS so I hope not). Otherwise it will be LWB or sofas as per current generation.

Performance wise Im expecting 493bhp from the 4.0L. I expect it to be rev limited to 8600 for both PDK & Manual. In MT I expect this to produce a 0-60 about 0.1 less than current gen 991 GT3 and in PDK form perhaps 0.1 quicker. Any Nurburgring lap times will be set with the PDK Im sure and here id expect a 7.20-7.22 published based on the higher torque engine and some small aero tweaks plus the work thats been done to improve a few of the coiners there this spring which has made the circuit fractionally quicker...

I expect the tyre package to be teh same as the current GT3 & R. It would be nice if Michelin updated the MPSC2 to N1 spec but I dont think it will happen so my next wish would be a new manufacturer offers options as OEM on the car so we have more choice while we wait for the Bridgestone RE71 to arrive in factory fitments (perhaps THIS IS the reason we are waiting LOL!).

I dont expect this to be a quantum shift from the existing models more a mid life make over as AP eluded over a year ago at Goodwood and last year at a presentation to PCNA members in the USA.

Expect the car to be mentioned more in the media from November and revealed in March at Geneva.

Ive been asked a number of times if I will be upgrading to the new car. The answer is no. Im just getting the hang of the current one after almost 3 years ownership! Kidding. I have the DMS headers and will fit them soon along with the RT RE10 pads and Brembo type III rotors (when this set of factory discs are done soon). My car also has the replacement G engine and Im currently working to extent the factory warranty until the end of 2018...

I figure with the PDK (which I love as this car is a track car for me) combined with DMS headers and 9000 rpm rev line, now Ive finally started to dial the car/driver into my favorite tracks, sorted the geometry etc it will be at least as quick as the 991.2 GT3 MT cars for some time. In my market the GT3 has depreciated and by the time the new one gets near the change over will cost over 50K++ USD if I did it say Q3 2017 a few months before my new GT3 was delivered...its just not worth it to me, but there is another good reason to hold back (as I believe allocations will ultimately be plentiful and who knows what the global economies will look like in 18 months time)....and that is....

I dont want to be an early adoptor again. Granted most of the tech has now been bashed out on the 991. GT3/RS and DFI race cars, but being one of teh first to get the 991 GT3 and having gone through the recals and engine swaps I think ill just enjoy a period of "quite" for a while and maybe if I have to have one of these puppies Ill look for an early 2018 build slot and hopefully have a smooth ride this time!!
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:18 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
The single most important thing when buying a GT car is patience.
+1. I waited long after the GT4 hype and ended up with 2 allocations in my lap, after nothing more than a few phone calls to the dealers I have relationships in.

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Franfurt release is what expect. The GT2RS will day view in Geneva.
GT2RS makes sense for Geneva, maybe they make a big splash and include the .2GT3.....seems like it would be really early to release the 2018 GT3 in Sept. of 2016....but who knows. I hope you are right!
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:27 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

A little off topic, but do we now expect the .2GT3RS and GT2RS to also be a manual?

At this point, the mechanical and electronic work has been done (R), and for the most part it's just a matter of fitting the correct clutch assembly to any of these upcoming GT models in the shared gearbox casing, if they want to.

Seems like at this point you just give the customer the choice, as they hinted. I can't remember what AP said about the RS models, if anything......
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mvez
I can't remember what AP said about the RS models, if anything......
He said the RS will be pdk only from now on because it's a track car and they want to be fastest.
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:39 PM
RickyGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marcus S.
Don't think So.

Everything I've read indicates March 17.
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:57 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

The new GTS front bumper doesn't look too bad. Just wish the light strips were flush to the bumper. The new GT3 front bumper looks kinda like an inverted version of this, which may not be bad at all.

Name:  Messages Image(994600043).png
Views: 2671
Size:  2.10 MB
Name:  Messages Image(3425510468).png
Views: 1421
Size:  1.71 MB
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
He said the RS will be pdk only from now on because it's a track car and they want to be fastest.
Agreed. If there is a base GT2 I expect it to offer both options like the upcoming GT3 but if there is a GT2RS I would think PDK only. If there is a next GT4 I'd expect it to offer both MT& PDK after the GT4 Clubsport offering.

I also see a Sept GT3 release unlikely. I know GT3RS owners who will only just gave cars exiting production by then!

And yes I think the days of 2-3000 unit production for GT cars is gone. We were all a bit surprised when 991 GT3 production finished around 3300 units but since then GT4 and RS production had clearly indicated IMO that PAG/VAG have views to ensure these are future profit lines to cover corporate provisional "losses" against prior recalls and DieselGate...

Quick Reply: Could this be the 991.2 GT3?