Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many considered a turbo instead of GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:36 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 538 Posts

Without wishing to add another variable, it is worth noting that the upcoming AMG GT-R will be a worthy competitor to the Turbo S: http://www.evo.co.uk/mercedes/amg-gt...rce=newsletter

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/good...ll-have-577bhp

It's on my radar to replace the TTS when it comes out.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:46 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

When I was shopping for a GT3 I never considered a Turbo S. I have a deposit on a 991.2 GT3 and would not consider the Turbo S again. Problems I have with the Turbo S are:

1. It does not sound good even with aftermarket exhaust
2. Much better cars out there for the money
1. 570S
2. R8 v10 plus
3. AMG GTS
4. F type SVR
5. s63 amg coupe (daily only no track)
6. m6 grandcoupe (daily only no track)
All of these are great daily drivers, and better and perform well. These are just new cars, if used cars were an options, than there are a ton more I would choose over a Turbo S.
3. They depreciate more than the average sports car
Old 06-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Never considered a turbo. For the 200k that a specced turbo costs now, better cars exist.
Well said but it is interesting that 10 to even 20 years ago the Turbo and GT3 were about the same amount of money. It is somewhat similar today but the prices of the cars has risen drastically.

I remember going with my dad to purchase his 1996 993 Twin Turbo. Car had a sticker of around $105K-$110K with a base price just under $100K. Step forward to 2005 when I bought a 996 GT3 new from the same dealer. Sticker price was about $105K. The turbo at the time was about $110k new. These prices and similarities stayed the same even now. Whatever the price a new GT3 is the turbo will be about $10k to $20k more. Similar for an RS compared to a Turbo S. It is crazy how all these cars have crept up in price since the 993.

A friend of mine was speccing out a new 2015 991 Turbo last year. He and I chatted a while about the price, the options and the car. I didn't want to curb his enthusiasm for the car but I kept asking him if he had considered a GT3. His dream car since he was a kid was a 911 Turbo. I couldn't take that from him. He was also worried the GT3 would be too much for a street/daily car. I told him no way but the turbo won in the end. Plus his justification with the wife to buy the turbo was it had a backseat and the kids could fit back there. He now wishes he would have bought the GT3.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I remember going with my dad to purchase his 1996 993 Twin Turbo. Car had a sticker of around $105K-$110K with a base price just under $100K. Step forward to 2005 when I bought a 996 GT3 new from the same dealer. Sticker price was about $105K. The turbo at the time was about $110k new. These prices and similarities stayed the same even now. Whatever the price a new GT3 is the turbo will be about $10k to $20k more. Similar for an RS compared to a Turbo S. It is crazy how all these cars have crept up in price since the 993.
US inflation (based on CPI, http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm) from 1996 to 2016 was 53%, so it seems that the car's prices are perhaps a bit cheaper today, or at least similar, when you account for inflation. And arguably the 991 turbo is more car than a 993 turbo, setting aside considerations of purity, etc.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was moments away from purchasing a low mileage/used 991 TTS to take advantage of the depreciation hit on the first owner. But, I kept reading of the 991 GT3 joy on this forum. Ultimately, I chose the GT3. Can't say I made a poor choice, but with my GT3, I miss the rocket boost of my prior 997 TT the same way I missed the NA soundtrack on my turbo. Flip a coin. I love them both.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:55 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Without wishing to add another variable, it is worth noting that the upcoming AMG GT-R will be a worthy competitor to the Turbo S: http://www.evo.co.uk/mercedes/amg-gt...rce=newsletter

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/good...ll-have-577bhp

It's on my radar to replace the TTS when it comes out.
yes, if it had 4 seats, i'd favor it over turbo too. it may still be a contender if it wows me.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
I am not a purist about the number of seats in the GT3. We are a family of three, and we are not increasing. We are not tall. Our daughter is very petite. When she has sat in the back of a 991, much as she wants to claim it is comfortable she has to admit it isn't and the sort of 12-hour drives we do 6-8 times a year to visit relatives wouldn't be realistic for her back there. We don't think a 4-seat 911 is therefore an advantage to us.

Out of curiosity, how much use do you get from the rear seats?
I do not have the car yet, so i cannot say precisely, but from trying seats and baby seats at a dealership, I saw that my kids have 7-8 years before their knees come anywhere close to front seat backs. Even my wife could fit behind me without much constraint. These 991s are more spacious than a typical hatchback from 80s. I would not take a Turbo on a long drive with kids, but because of luggage space. Also, if i drive for 12 hours, I'd end up in Canadian tundra or the Bay Area - both have roads too dangerous for a car with less than 10" of suspension travel , so I'd take the cayenne for that.

So it's more for weekend drives, school runs, car meets, etc.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:15 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
My F Type may be my favorite car in my collection! I can't believe how many people buy 911s instead...they are missing out on such a blast of a car!
I'm a GT3 RS guy and I totally agree with you!
The exhaust note of the F Type V8 is second to none. It is so fun to drive and so tail happy (controllable). I giggle every time I drive it.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:18 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 214 Posts

I had a birch green 991 TTS and drove it for 21k miles. Got boring (except color). My small kids liked the fact it had a back seat. I tracked it HARD a few times and it just doesn't stand up to abuse like the GT3.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I'm a GT3 RS guy and I totally agree with you!
The exhaust note of the F Type V8 is second to none. It is so fun to drive and so tail happy (controllable). I giggle every time I drive it.
Exactly!! I tell everyone I can that every time I drive it I giggle and that's just something that never happens in modern cars.

The damned thing is sideways going on to on ramps for the highway, it's sideways at every turn after I come to a stop and mash the pedal...the exhaust is awesome and it's just a really enjoyable car.

It's a shame they aren't making rear wheel only V8s anymore...I'm never letting mine go!
Old 06-21-2016, 06:11 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raclaims
It's a shame they aren't making rear wheel only V8s anymore...
First of all they make the Z06, which is a far superior car to the F Type R in every measurable way possible, costs less money, is available with a real shifter, actually has a better interior, and sounds almost as good. I have the Type R engine in my L405, there's nothing wrong with it, but whereas tranny is fantastic for an SUV, it has no place in a sports car. Lots of Type Rs parked outside medical centers, yet to ever see one at any HPDE event.

Jaguar did a fantastic job with the exhaust, and I'm sorry if this offends owner sensibilities, but comparing a Type R to a TTS is ridiculous ... even in SVR livery it's just nowhere near the car the TTS is.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:33 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
First of all they make the Z06, which is a far superior car to the F Type R in every measurable way possible, costs less money, is available with a real shifter, actually has a better interior, and sounds almost as good. I have the Type R engine in my L405, there's nothing wrong with it, but whereas tranny is fantastic for an SUV, it has no place in a sports car. Lots of Type Rs parked outside medical centers, yet to ever see one at any HPDE event.

Jaguar did a fantastic job with the exhaust, and I'm sorry if this offends owner sensibilities, but comparing a Type R to a TTS is ridiculous ... even in SVR livery it's just nowhere near the car the TTS is.
Agree with you about the Z06, only thing against it are the stereotypes and the styling. The F type is gorgeous and the Z06 is a transformer (I'm still partial to the C6 Z06).

He was comparing the F Type to a Boxster Spyder actually, the person he replied to was talking about exhaust notes. I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to compare the F type and the TTS. I bought a Boxster because it was a little cheaper and was a lot more practical than the F Type. What everybody says about the F types is true: I giggled when I drove a 6MT base F type.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:53 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sp330
Agree with you about the Z06, only thing against it are the stereotypes and the styling. The F type is gorgeous and the Z06 is a transformer (I'm still partial to the C6 Z06).

He was comparing the F Type to a Boxster Spyder actually, the person he replied to was talking about exhaust notes. I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to compare the F type and the TTS.
My apologies to raclaims if I misunderstood that part of his post.

However others in this thread have listed the F Type R as a viable alternative to a TTS, and I just wanted to make the point that exhaust note aside, it just isn't.

Quick Reply: how many considered a turbo instead of GT3