how many considered a turbo instead of GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016 | 10:20 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CHADW
I've driven just about everything but must concede CJ has experienced more. CJ, what do you like better around 200k?
997.2RS (best stick shift ever, durable, raw)
430 Scud (raw, LOUD, more exotic)
599 (v12, enzo engine, ENZO ENGINE)
570S (because same HP but way lighter)
R8 v10 stick (because of the noise)

Stretch budget a bit more:
Used 650S
570 GT
991RS
911R (LOL)

Depends on how much flash you want. Porsche is almost totally under the radar compared to these.
Old 06-20-2016 | 10:41 AM
CHADW
Racer

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
997.2RS (best stick shift ever, durable, raw)
430 Scud (raw, LOUD, more exotic)
599 (v12, enzo engine, ENZO ENGINE)
570S (because same HP but way lighter)
R8 v10 stick (because of the noise)

Stretch budget a bit more:
Used 650S
570 GT
991RS
911R (LOL)

Depends on how much flash you want. Porsche is almost totally under the radar compared to these.
My bad, I totally forgot about that one. I would take a 911R over the turbo S. Haha!

As for the others:
997.2RS not a turbo competitor to me
Scud same thing, plus pathetically slow
I sold my second 599 the day I drove my first DCT
I can't stand the Mac doors
R8 is a legit turbo competitor in my eyes, I just prefer turbo S

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-20-2016 | 10:48 AM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Many opinions in here! I always wonder what I would choose if I were in the position to buy one but I can't make my mind up. Use would be a fun / weekend / track car. I love the design of the turbo, not even a gt3rs can come close to that. The wide hips and the low spoiler + the whole car in black is just gorgeous! Interiorwise I like carbon bucket seats with leather which I believe is available in both cars On the other hand people say that a gt3 is much more involving, much more exciting, but then again there are people who even prefer a turbo on the track. This question can also translate to the carrera (s or 4s, wide hips are gorgeous but 2s might be more raw) or onto older generations (996/997)where stick was still available. What do you think? Can a turbo actually be as exciting as a gt3? Maybe with the unbelievable thrust and an aftermarket exhaust? Or will the gt3 always reign surpreme as a weekend car? Which brings more joy?

I've been in a 993 carrera rs and oh boy I loved it.Nothing like the straps to open the door and the sound is magnificient!
Old 06-20-2016 | 10:56 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

991 Turbo is the bomb for mostly street. Insanely fast. I had a GT3 and now a RS. Fun cars but not a TT.

I have owned almost all the recent GT's and Ferraris. Buy a used 991TT and never look back.
Old 06-20-2016 | 11:09 AM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Nice ! How would you compare the TT and GT3 RS feeling wise? What do you like about each? Which would you take for a cool afternoon on some roads like Matt Farah always drives (The onetakes in the hills / mountains)?
Old 06-20-2016 | 11:29 AM
levd
Pro

After tying GT3 on track I immediately sold my 997.2TT and got GT3.

GT3 feels much, MUCH safe on track. Turbo is too heavy.

Heavy car is not a track car. Huge difference in corners, huge difference on hard braking from big speed.

GT3 is boringly slow on long straights, it's true, but it's extremely agile everywhere else.

Maybe 991TT is the other story. But 997.2TT is too heavy and dangerous.
Old 06-20-2016 | 11:31 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Nope
Old 06-20-2016 | 11:51 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Had a 993TT. Sold it for a song to pay for my wedding (let's not discuss whether that was a good decision or not)

Subsequently had many on the GT3 forum tell me when I asked: "If I had to ask, get the turbo."

They were all wrong and now I'm stuck waiting for a 991.2 GT3 RS

On a different note, I'm having the Fabspeed GT450 package done on my Spyder, so that will keep me happy for a while
Old 06-20-2016 | 11:59 AM
Nodrip
Instructor

Turbo and GT3 are not the same...
I was looking for a "track car" that can be daily driven.
So I went to the GT3, which I found to be perfect for my usage!
Old 06-20-2016 | 12:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I had a 996TT. Great car,I still miss it! I've changed the exhaust and loved it even more. No turbocharged Porsche these days sounds even close to the Mezger wail.
With that said,I prefer NA. The 997 GTS gives me the feel of the 997 chassis,steering and a really good 6 speed tranny,without the absurdity of 997 GT3 prices.
The GT4 is the best modern GT car IMO...price and package...it's unbeatable across the board,not just in the Porsche range.
Old 06-20-2016 | 12:16 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

I came from a 991 Turbo to a 991 GT3. While I agree with a lot of what is stated above my biggest compulsion for the switch was sheer sensation of speed. My daily driver at the time was a Macan Turbo with a tune and some suspension mods. The sensation of speed between the Macan and Turbo was very similar in power delivery, lack of sound, etc...

After driving the GT3 I finally felt what I was after. Something that felt like an entirely different experience than my daily driven car. The car won't see the track but once or twice a year but driving experience for me was enough to scratch that itch I was so desperately looking for. The sensation of speed and driving experience are so different than any other P-Car i've owned I kick myself for not going GT car out of the gate. Lesson learned.
Old 06-20-2016 | 12:30 PM
SpeeddemonC2
Instructor

Originally Posted by HassaanAbdeen
I realize I'll be flamed for saying this here, but ...

1) I configured a GT3 but missed the allocations deadline.
2) Came next week and configured a turbo.
3) Kept lusting on GT3s and angry for missing the opportunity.
4) received my turbo, got thrilled happy satisfied and convinced it's the right car for me.
5) still lust over the GT3
6) drove my turbo on the track. The GT3 was nowhere close to the turbo performance.
7) still love the GT3, but sorry... I don't lust over it or regret missing the allocation. Neither the GT3 is great as DD or on track vs the turbo.

I know I'll get crucified here... YIKES!
#6 is not accurate. On most tracks, the GT3 is faster (RS even faster on same tires). Proof is the well documented Nurburgring Nordschleife lap times... I drive my GT3 at the Circuit of the Americas F1 track. The TTS cars that run are slower (but not by much) but the McLaren MP4-12C is faster!
Old 06-20-2016 | 12:38 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

I've owned a 996tt and loved it on the street but found it under steered when pushed. So when shopping to replace the 991CS (which I loved) I went to Porsche Experience, Atlanta and did the Turbo vs GT3 comparison. Driving them back to back at the limit on the skid pad and track was better than any test drive. It confirmed I could rotate the GT much easier with throttle while the Turbo continued to try to use the front tires to pull me straight! The GT3 suits my driving style at the limit and dances with you. As a point and shoot car at a place like Sebring or on the open road the turbo's acceleration is hands down faster. But I only drive the car to the track and back and enjoy the turns so the GT3 was the obvious answer. I keep thinking I could slap some Cup2s on a turbo and maybe dial the under steer out and have cooled seats in Florida again, but nah I'm enjoying the GT3.

Last edited by CDinSing; 06-20-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2016 | 01:28 PM
Nodrip
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
#6 is not accurate. On most tracks, the GT3 is faster (RS even faster on same tires). Proof is the well documented Nurburgring Nordschleife lap times... I drive my GT3 at the Circuit of the Americas F1 track. The TTS cars that run are slower (but not by much) but the McLaren MP4-12C is faster!
Also the endurance is not the same.
I heard that you can lost a noticeable amount of power when running for too long!
Old 06-20-2016 | 01:37 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Well I LOVE my 997 Turbo, love my GT3RS...hated the regular GT3 when I drove it.

So it really comes down to your preferences and what you intend to do with the car.

There are no bad decisions here.

But I agree the new turbos I believe are pricing themselves out of the market.

Quick Reply: how many considered a turbo instead of GT3