Sponsored by:

how many considered a turbo instead of GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:10 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe more interesting or better sounding anyway.

AMG GTS
S63
R8 V10
Aston
M6
F Type SVR
My F Type may be my favorite car in my collection! I can't believe how many people buy 911s instead...they are missing out on such a blast of a car!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:23 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

the lack of PDK-S and the backwards shifter did it for me
Old 06-20-2016, 06:45 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe more interesting or better sounding anyway.

AMG GTS
S63
570GT
R8 V10
Aston
M6
F Type SVR
I agree the GTS and R8 are good competitors.

I have an S63 and like the Aston, M6 and F Type, they stand no chance against a TTS.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:46 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
the lack of PDK-S and the backwards shifter did it for me
Thankfully they finally fixed the backwards shifter on the turbos for '17. That is one of the strangest things I have ever seen Porsche do.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:00 PM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I have yet to have either the TTS or the GT3/GT3RS, but I went through the back and forth on this for the car I wanted to get, and this thread has gone a long way to tell me my decision feels pretty good.

Though I love the 17' TTS (was close to placing an order for a Signal Green TTS), I am looking for a "raw" feeling that I think the GT3 RS is going to give me. I have considered trying to get ahold of a GT3 for the time being while I wait to get a GT3 RS.

I have a feeling I will want to get a TTS at some point to see what the difference is, but only time will tell if I end up wanting to go down that road. Good insight guys...
Old 06-20-2016, 07:11 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy glad to hear that you made a decision! Make sure to send lots of pictures or even clips of your new beauty once it arrives
Old 06-20-2016, 07:12 PM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Haha - oh trust me buddy, I will!!! Hurry up and wait!!
Old 06-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't consider it. Nothing against the Turbo, though I am not fond of turbos. From the first time I drove a GT3 I wanted one. I have yet to second guess myself. My decision was between a 997.2 and a 991.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

I spent some time thinking about it, mostly because I have GT3, could not get RS and need 4 seats sometimes. I drove 997.2 Turbo and 991.1 on track a little and I drove 991 GT3 on track and street more than most (16500 miles).

I really like Turbo. There are some things people are confusing about it:

1. 997.2 and 991 Turbos are rather different, with the latter being much closer to GT cars than the former. While 991 GT cars got softer, Turbos got more fun. So what you knew about 997 generation or heard on the internet/TV for the good part of the last decade is no longer as relevant. Turbo is not a lame cousin of the RS but rather the older brother who goes to the office and then to gym instead of doing speed.

2. Turbo (991.1) has more restrictive stability control than GT3, or at least it seems that way. With nannies off they are closer than with nannies on.

3. Much of Turbo s lack of drama is due to lack of sound. Can be fixed with exhaust and/or getting a convertible

4. Turbo PDK vs. PDK-S difference is very minor, mostly shift logic programming, so practically none when pedal-shifting.

5. Steering is indeed more numb in Turbo, but still better than C2S.

The 991.2 Turbo has (supposedly, I have not driven it yet) PDK at PDK-S level and steering better than current RS. I really want to drive one to see. So much of the difference is mental. The 991 Turbo is an insanely good car that just sounds boring. aviong said that, I would not get the Turbo as daily if not for kids. I would probably get a huracan 2wd or GT-S Black or whatever they are going to call it rather than Turbo. But those do not have 4 seats. So I will most likely add a Turbo to the GT3, and maybe consider huracan superleggera or AMG GT-S Black in addition if they are truly awesome (unless Porsche finds it in itself to sell me a 960 or GT2RS or some other fun toy). Anyway, do not put down turbo until you try 991.1 and do not follow the common belief established mostly by 997 generation that it is a boring car. The only really boring thing about 991.1 Turbo is sound, and maybe steering.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:38 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Just say no to Turbos. Only NA.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADW
I agree the GTS and R8 are good competitors.

I have an S63 and like the Aston, M6 and F Type, they stand no chance against a TTS.
But they are all much more performance than I can use on the street, so for me better is some spectacle and noises and some of the lesser performers come with great rumble and massage seats

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I spent some time thinking about it, mostly because I have GT3, could not get RS and need 4 seats sometimes. I drove 997.2 Turbo and 991.1 on track a little and I drove 991 GT3 on track and street more than most (16500 miles).

I really like Turbo. There are some things people are confusing about it:

1. 997.2 and 991 Turbos are rather different, with the latter being much closer to GT cars than the former. While 991 GT cars got softer, Turbos got more fun. So what you knew about 997 generation or heard on the internet/TV for the good part of the last decade is no longer as relevant. Turbo is not a lame cousin of the RS but rather the older brother who goes to the office and then to gym instead of doing speed.

2. Turbo (991.1) has more restrictive stability control than GT3, or at least it seems that way. With nannies off they are closer than with nannies on.

3. Much of Turbo s lack of drama is due to lack of sound. Can be fixed with exhaust and/or getting a convertible

4. Turbo PDK vs. PDK-S difference is very minor, mostly shift logic programming, so practically none when pedal-shifting.

5. Steering is indeed more numb in Turbo, but still better than C2S.

The 991.2 Turbo has (supposedly, I have not driven it yet) PDK at PDK-S level and steering better than current RS. I really want to drive one to see. So much of the difference is mental. The 991 Turbo is an insanely good car that just sounds boring. aviong said that, I would not get the Turbo as daily if not for kids. I would probably get a huracan 2wd or GT-S Black or whatever they are going to call it rather than Turbo. But those do not have 4 seats. So I will most likely add a Turbo to the GT3, and maybe consider huracan superleggera or AMG GT-S Black in addition if they are truly awesome (unless Porsche finds it in itself to sell me a 960 or GT2RS or some other fun toy). Anyway, do not put down turbo until you try 991.1 and do not follow the common belief established mostly by 997 generation that it is a boring car. The only really boring thing about 991.1 Turbo is sound, and maybe steering.
Good points all.
Got to love a straight pipe TT
Old 06-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
need 4 seats sometimes
I am not a purist about the number of seats in the GT3. We are a family of three, and we are not increasing. We are not tall. Our daughter is very petite. When she has sat in the back of a 991, much as she wants to claim it is comfortable she has to admit it isn't and the sort of 12-hour drives we do 6-8 times a year to visit relatives wouldn't be realistic for her back there. We don't think a 4-seat 911 is therefore an advantage to us.

Out of curiosity, how much use do you get from the rear seats?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
My F Type may be my favorite car in my collection! I can't believe how many people buy 911s instead...they are missing out on such a blast of a car!
Ultimate hooligan car.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:23 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No
Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a 991 gt3, loved it, can't say a single bad thing about it, besides I wanted rear seats so my children could ride with me. Sold it and got a 2016 TT in my avatar. Admittedly, I do love the awd and having snow tires on it, something I never would do with the gt3.

Ultimately, they are two of the best in their categories, actually IMO, they are the best, with the turbo being the best all around GT and the GT3 being the best of a street/track car, the perfect blend.

If I could afford both, I would. For now, the turbo has been blowing me away but I'm sure the day will come when I'm back with a GT3. Both such special cars.

Quick Reply: how many considered a turbo instead of GT3