Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Singer 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:30 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I do not own a Singer. I admire the partnership with William engineering, with regard to craftsmanship they have done improving both form and function.

The level of "Attention to Detail" done with Mr. Linton's 911R is a sight to see. I cannot wait to see in person when it arrives from Germany, next time I visit your dream garage.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Not a diversion at all but a legitimate question. Indeed, your response seems a way to divert away from safety and emissions. Why? Does anyone have an answer to safety and emissions certifications of Singer?

P.S. Not questioning the craftsmanship as that is a matter of personal taste and, personally, I like my R better.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Not a diversion at all but a legitimate question. Indeed, your response seems a way to divert away from safety and emissions. Why? Does anyone have an answer to safety and emissions certifications of Singer?
Singer is no more an auto manufacturer than you are with your aftermarket Porsche parts. Their cars may be 'virtually' new, but they are still just modified 1989-1994 964s. You honestly think that even though they retain their original Porsche VINs, they should be subjected to current federal crash and emissions testing when no law requires them to be? Are you planning to crash multiple 911Rs with your CF oil tank to prove it meets current standards in the US, EU, etc.?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

First, I am not selling oil tanks to the public and therefore have no direct or implied liability to the public. Second, I am not affecting the pollution compliance of my car which passes all regulations as a new Porsche. Third, I have no obligation to the public as I do not sell to the public. My comment re Singer was, given the amount of components they change, particularly on the newest version which appears to be a virtually new car shaped a bit like some Porsche(s) is there any legal or simply moral obligation to subject the car to certain crash and/or pollution standards? Not saying this obligation exists, just asking. In any case, if I was a member of a family that just spent $1.8 million on a Singer, I might want the comfort of knowing that it will meet certain safety standards.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

P. S. Perhaps the new Singer does comply with current standards, I do not pretend to know. And to be sure, with their name all over it, I would think that Williams would want it to as in any accident, the likelihood I would imagine is that their name will be all over the legal proceedings.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

P. P. S. Does anyone know definitively (I do not), what, if any, safety and/or pollution requirements a Singer type car is required to meet, i.e., a car sold to the public that is so heavily modified from the original including, but not limited to, removal of the airbags?
Old 08-09-2018, 06:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,701 Posts

P. P. S. Does anyone know definitively (I do not), what, if any, safety and/or pollution requirements a Singer type car is required to meet, i.e., a car sold to the public that is so heavily modified from the original including, but not limited to, removal of the airbags?
I think it would have to meet the requirements that were current in the year of its VIN. Interesting about the airbags. I'm not sure if a 964 required its airbags to pass standards of the time...

And if the Singer has no cat converters or otherwise does not run as cleanly as a stock 250hp 3.6L, it could be in jeopardy of failing emissions in some jurisdictions.

And in other jurisdictions, there are no inspections of any sort.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:14 PM
DrKid
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This website seems to answer the emissions questions state by state.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...lector-vehicle
Copy and pasted below is the CA one....
California
Thirty-four counties in California require an emissions test every other year for vehicles 1976 and newer. Six counties require a test for vehicles 1976 and newer and registered in specific ZIP codes within those counties. Confused? Go to smogcheck. ca.gov/Applications/Ziparea/ ZipLookup.aspx and enter your ZIP code.

This page is from 2009 though...things may have changed...I will edit if I find better info

Last edited by DrKid; 08-09-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: verified age of page...
Old 08-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Does anyone know for sure if this is the case and does it change after a certain amount of the car is modified and does it vary in different states and/or countries. As to airbags, my 964 had airbags.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,701 Posts

As to airbags, my 964 had airbags.
Yes, they all did. Porsche was putting airbags in 944 and 928 in the mid-80's. I'm just not sure if they did so as an additional safety and marketing feature or whether they did in order to pass its contemporary safety regs. And I don't know if those regs still apply 25 years after manufacture (the original airbags would be suspect at this point for sure and I'm not aware of any responsibility to renew them to register a car).
Old 08-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Has anyone ever asked DOT, NHSTA, EPA for definitive rulings? Not trying to cause trouble, just curious.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

First, I am not selling oil tanks to the public and therefore have no direct or implied liability to the public. Second, I am not affecting the pollution compliance of my car which passes all regulations as a new Porsche. Third, I have no obligation to the public as I do not sell to the public. My comment re Singer was, given the amount of components they change, particularly on the newest version which appears to be a virtually new car shaped a bit like some Porsche(s) is there any legal or simply moral obligation to subject the car to certain crash and/or pollution standards? Not saying this obligation exists, just asking. In any case, if I was a member of a family that just spent $1.8 million on a Singer, I might want the comfort of knowing that it will meet certain safety standards.
I would expect nothing more than was present in the original car when it was originally sold new. You're not buying a new car. You're buying a very old car, made pretty and high performing. Given the brake improvements, my guess is that Singer's are actively safer than the original cars.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Possible but better brakes do not change pollution or crashworthiness. And if I was a lawyer I might argue that advertising better brakes gave someone a false sense of security that led to less careful driving which, in turn, contributed to a crash.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Again, does anyone know what the law definitely requires (if anything) for a restomod?
Old 08-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

And does the law vary with numbers of cars sold?
Old 08-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, they all did. Porsche was putting airbags in 944 and 928 in the mid-80's. I'm just not sure if they did so as an additional safety and marketing feature or whether they did in order to pass its contemporary safety regs. And I don't know if those regs still apply 25 years after manufacture (the original airbags would be suspect at this point for sure and I'm not aware of any responsibility to renew them to register a car).
More like late 1980s for the 944 and 928; the 1987 944 Turbo was the first car with standard dual airbags. 1989 964s did not have airbags. Passive restraints were required in the US from 1990 on, but airbags were not required in the US until 1998.

Safety of first generation US airbags was debatable even when new.

Quick Reply: Singer 911