Sponsored by:

Singer 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:21 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I will say unequivocally that my R is crafted better than any Singer I have seen in person or in pictures.
Engineered rather than crafted. No question the R is better put together, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the artistry that is a Singer. It’s the digital watch to the Singers automatic.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:24 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

With respect, you need to see my R. Would not trade it for any Singer. Porsche is capable of a better level of craftsmanship than Singer. Not saying that of all Porsche's but definitely in relation to this R.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Also, while I applaud William's engineering in the the new Singer (or should I say Williams), it is no longer a Porsche or even has the charm of the original Singer. Instead, it is an excellent but overly cold piece of technology that resembles an older Porsche. In other words, a well done, high tech tech restomod. Would rather have a real Porsche. But, of course, this is personal preference.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,282 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
^100% agreed

CJ
incoming Pasta Alfresco. Or is that 488 Pista? :-) I’m jealous as I tried to get an allocation.
I'll text you
Old 08-05-2018, 12:49 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Also, while I applaud William's engineering in the the new Singer (or should I say Williams), it is no longer a Porsche or even has the charm of the original Singer. Instead, it is an excellent but overly cold piece of technology that resembles an older Porsche. In other words, a well done, high tech tech restomod. Would rather have a real Porsche. But, of course, this is personal preference.
Agree on the Williams Singer, doesn’t float my boat as much as the original Singers. I wouldn’t call it cold, but far too hot rod for my liking.

With respect, you need to see my R. Would not trade it for any Singer. Porsche is capable of a better level of craftsmanship than Singer. Not saying that of all Porsche's but definitely in relation to this R.
Was not debating capabilities of the two companies, just the end product. Your car is hardly representative of what rolls out of the showroom floor. Even so, I suspect it still has those console buttons for sports exhaust etc. No disrespect to the R but they are not really a thing of beauty, are they?

Old 08-05-2018, 12:57 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Singer. 911R. CGT. 997 RS 4.0. If you can afford any of them you are doing something right. I am sure they are each awesome in their own unique way.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:16 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

We could debate plastic buttons all day long. I might not like some of the interior parts of a Singer (e.g., some of its switches or the MB armrest) but both are examples of function over form. More interesting, however, is where did they put the airbags that were on the 964. Indeed, have Singers been actually crash tested to the same level of a new Porsche? As this newest Singer is virtually a new car, has Singer formally subjected it to the standards required of a new car? Have, e.g., head impact standards been met? Have the NHSTA/DOT requirements been met or is Singer hiding behind the old car thing even though the entire car is new? Indeed, is there absolute proof that it is a safe as a new car? I would think that Williams would not like the liability if it did not.

P.S. As I look at Singer literature, I have seen nothing of its compliance with various pollution standards, either in Europe or in the U.S. As effectively an entirely new car, is it not required to meet any such standards? I would think that for $1.8 million, Williams and Singer would provide the buyer with the certifications one gets with a Ford.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:36 AM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Airbag issue (removal) seems a big issue imo. Have been questioning this for a long time...Insurance, NSHTA...did it on my 92 Cup Car (US version) 10 years ago and same thoughts went thru my mind. Would not do it again now...
Old 08-05-2018, 06:52 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

You would think that for in excess of $600,000, let alone for $1.8 million, that a Singer would be at least as safe as a Volvo or a Subaru -- and that the families of the Singer owners would insist upon nothing less. I assume that Williams has done this as they should understand the potential legal consequences of not doing so.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

We could debate plastic buttons all day long. I might not like some of the interior parts of a Singer (e.g., some of its switches or the MB armrest) but both are examples of function over form. More interesting, however, is where did they put the airbags that were on the 964. Indeed, have Singers been actually crash tested to the same level of a new Porsche? As this newest Singer is virtually a new car, has Singer formally subjected it to the standards required of a new car? Have, e.g., head impact standards been met? Have the NHSTA/DOT requirements been met or is Singer hiding behind the old car thing even though the entire car is new? Indeed, is there absolute proof that it is a safe as a new car? I would think that Williams would not like the liability if it did not.

P.S. As I look at Singer literature, I have seen nothing of its compliance with various pollution standards, either in Europe or in the U.S. As effectively an entirely new car, is it not required to meet any such standards? I would think that for $1.8 million, Williams and Singer would provide the buyer with the certifications one gets with a Ford.
The classic ignoratio elenchi - a diversion to safety and emissions when discussing craftsmanship. I'll retire from this discussion. Good day to your sir!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Not a diversion at all but a legitimate question. Indeed, your response seems a way to divert away from safety and emissions. Why? Does anyone have an answer to safety and emissions certifications of Singer?

P.S. Not questioning the craftsmanship as that is a matter of personal taste and, personally, I like my R better.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:49 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Not a diversion at all but a legitimate question. Indeed, your response seems a way to divert away from safety and emissions. Why? Does anyone have an answer to safety and emissions certifications of Singer?

P.S. Not questioning the craftsmanship as that is a matter of personal taste and, personally, I like my R better.

I think it's because he (or any Singer fan) is looking at Singer as more of a more classic car (even with all the modern tech) and the standard safety of one of the older cars (or a car one has modded with say racing steering wheels, lightweight panels and bucket seats with harness' which take airbags away or alter how the car was built with respects to safety from the factory etc etc) vs thinking about a car that's produced by a modern company which obviously has to have every modern safety standard and emissions standard cleared (911r). If Singer produced totally new cars with any real volume, that would be understandable...but given that they are doing what is considered an intense restoration so to speak (yes, its definitely replaces more than most)...it's not unlike any car that would be mainly exempt (CA) in the US according to classic car emissions and safety standards. I don't think any enthusiast buys a car like a Singer (or ANY 50s through 90s porsche...) and expects that it's as safe as a brand new passenger vehicle (and why there are available roll bars, harness options and race buckets as any track day special would have from Singer).

On another note, quite a few of the Singer customers have a 911r...and we all love them both and constantly refer to the 911r having as close to a Singer ethos that a new Porsche can possibly can contain. Meanwhile, yours with all of the parts you've done must just be absolutely beyond incredible.

Last edited by sechsgang; 08-05-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

Yeah, I didn't ever see the safety or emissions arguments coming out. MAYBE safety but emissions???

Both pretty cool cars all around and I'd take either one in a heart beat. But i wouldn't pick one over the other for emissions. I might pay extra to smell the petrol
Old 08-05-2018, 03:42 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 170 Posts

Function over form....it does look like the exhaust tips on the Singer are fully functional as opposed to the dummy units on the new GT2RS

J
Old 08-05-2018, 06:45 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The R is a much lower price, WAY SAFER, comes with warranty, is faster, drifts well and can drop off for service at 185 dealers across Usa
Please stop. You're tempting me to scratch the R itch.

Quick Reply: Singer 911