Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Singer 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018 | 08:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by n2cars
Cheer up Rob. Is it because it doesn't have CCBs or a Chrono Clock for the Cars and Coffee crowd or because you didn't get a Touring allocation? Now you're down on everything.

Just busting your ***** :-)

Have a good weekend
It was the lack of a Chrono Clock. You nailed it lol. Have a good weekend too!
Old 08-04-2018 | 01:01 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by robmypro
It was the lack of a Chrono Clock. You nailed it lol. Have a good weekend too!
They put in a tag stopwatch.

I'm totally baffled at singers due to pricing and reverse rarity. More every month.

CGT better car as is a 4.0L 997
Old 08-04-2018 | 01:27 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

I agree CJ. I "get" the Singer at $300-450k. Don't get it at 7 figures! I need to save my money for a CGT. Personally, don't get the 4.0 either other than rarity. Give me a 997.2 GT3RS 3.8 at 1/3 the cost.
Old 08-04-2018 | 01:28 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

I'm totally baffled at singers due to pricing and reverse rarity. More every month.

I hear you.
Old 08-04-2018 | 01:37 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joejenie
I agree CJ. I "get" the Singer at $300-450k. Don't get it at 7 figures! I need to save my money for a CGT. Personally, don't get the 4.0 either other than rarity. Give me a 997.2 GT3RS 3.8 at 1/3 the cost.
I'll take a 3.8rs at 1/3 too! More like 1/2, but I get your point. If coming in at these levels, I'd probably go 3.8rs also. Although to contradict myself, I doubt that spread gets much tighter over time.
Old 08-04-2018 | 01:42 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Ive toyed with the idea of consolidating 911s into one singer. Although as time goes on I'm noticing I can even feel a difference between a nut-n-bolt resto vs a well maintained original and I'm starting to prefer the quirks/character of the more original cars.

But when the hassle of insurance/registration/storage/maintenance of multiple 911s start to wear on me, the reverse rarity of a custom built all-in-one singer doesn't sound like a bad compromise. Cgt not being included in that consolidation idea. It would be a LH+964rs+2-997rs for one singer and some change in my pocket. Doubt I do it but I think about it
Old 08-04-2018 | 02:26 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Ive toyed with the idea of consolidating 911s into one singer. Although as time goes on I'm noticing I can even feel a difference between a nut-n-bolt resto vs a well maintained original and I'm starting to prefer the quirks/character of the more original cars.

But when the hassle of insurance/registration/storage/maintenance of multiple 911s start to wear on me, the reverse rarity of a custom built all-in-one singer doesn't sound like a bad compromise. Cgt not being included in that consolidation idea. It would be a LH+964rs+2-997rs for one singer and some change in my pocket. Doubt I do it but I think about it
I’ve considered that as well but it’s still too much $ for me. However, in Virginia, you can escape the dreaded car tax I pay every year with a vintage car (25 years or older) which a Singer would qualify for.
Old 08-04-2018 | 02:56 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

I had one on order a couple of years back, but prices went up, import taxes on top, and when I visited the chat was all about future models that woudld be better than mine...
canceled order and though would still like one at the right price, the 911R fills the role pretty well. (I know it’s different thing, I just mean the days when I might drive a Singer, are filled nicely by that 991)
Old 08-04-2018 | 07:31 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I had one on order a couple of years back, but prices went up, import taxes on top, and when I visited the chat was all about future models that woudld be better than mine...
canceled order and though would still like one at the right price, the 911R fills the role pretty well. (I know it’s different thing, I just mean the days when I might drive a Singer, are filled nicely by that 991)

FWIW, I don't think any of the potential models (and DLS on it's way) are really "better" than the classic car...just different, which is what makes any given car Singer could make really special. The Classic car will always be the heart and soul of Singer Vehicle Design, and in most respects a better overall sports car than the DLS that can be driven anywhere, anytime and anyplace and have it be a transformative experience every single time you're in it and with an ease that's somewhat indescribable. The DLS is an unreal extreme expression of the 911 and for those who want the most wild, crazy and ballistic experience you can have in a 911 on the road...that's the car for that job.

At the end of the day, there really has never been a Porsche as built in Germany that's been able to fill as many roles as dynamically as the Singer that I've gotten to experience. I don't say that lightly either as I've had full on love affairs with many of them...but none that have really changed how I view the ideal sports car until I took my first drive in the Singer or ever won over my heart in nearly the same way. The CGT is epic, but worrisome to drive 90 percent of places (spent hours planning routes where a CGT can/can't go/park/sit in traffic) with potential repairs and maintenance issues that can cost a few arms and legs, older RS's definitely awesome but still lacking the punch and overall pop the 4.0 motor that's in the full spec Classic car and the 997 Gt models and newer get a little harder core than they really need to for the kind of enjoyment one typically wants in an analogue experience on a road vs a track (though the Singer is GLORIOUS to drive on the track, and incredibly fast). I really do challenge anyone who is a potential buyer to take the time, fly to LA and plan a drive in their demo 4.0...you'll be glad you did and it's one of the only ways you can maybe start to see why they are as pricey as they are.
Old 08-04-2018 | 07:32 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9

DOOOOOOO IT MAN!
Old 08-04-2018 | 07:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The R is a much lower price, WAY SAFER, comes with warranty, is faster, drifts well and can drop off for service at 185 dealers across Usa
Old 08-04-2018 | 07:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

+1.

a real 964RS
a 4.0
a true track 964 Hot rod
a Ruf
a CGT
Old 08-04-2018 | 08:01 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

The R is a much lower price, WAY SAFER, comes with warranty, is faster, drifts well and can drop off for service at 185 dealers across Usa
Acknowledging that I would take a Singer every day of the week over an R. They have a level of craftmanship about them and a timeless visual appeal that the R will never have.

Name:  wNiSHuL.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  fzG63sA.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  103.3 KB
Old 08-04-2018 | 09:36 PM
DRPM
Drifting

^100% agreed

CJ
incoming Pasta Alfresco. Or is that 488 Pista? :-) I’m jealous as I tried to get an allocation.
Old 08-04-2018 | 10:59 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I will say unequivocally that my R is crafted better than any Singer I have seen in person or in pictures.

Quick Reply: Singer 911