Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Wins Targa Tasmania

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:09 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What are the technical rules in that race?

Stock cars?

What about tires? What are you allowed to put, and are you allowed to change (e.g. on rain)?
Old 03-17-2017, 04:35 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
If you run a street prep'd 991.2 GT3 in Newfoundland, would you be running in the the Grand Touring class? The Targa class requires fully prepared race cars, correct (Cage, fire suppression, etc...)?
Targa Class as the Cup would be. I will put an FIA cage and fire suppression in.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is incorrect a GT4 "showroom" class Subaru WRX STI was the fastest overall - I know I was there and have been in this event several times.

WRX STI 15:31 (GT4)

991.1 GT3 16:36 (GT2) - first in the GT2 class

Huracan 18:47 (GT2)

Nissan GT R 19:44 (GT4)

Sorry to let the air out of the Porsche bubble - but they are generally crap at road rallys

The GT3 is good on a track and thats about it
Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this is an older thread but it's still awesome. Congrats on the win! Superb driving and the car sound amazing.

May I ask what happened to the Viper? The car seems like such a beast (maybe not so much for Targa purposes), I'm interested to hear if it was driver error or the beating that comes with such an event that took its toll.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 AM
spyderlite
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your not letting the air out of any bubble Targa Tasmania 2016 was an outright win Targa tasmania logo.png
Category Rally
Country Tasmania, Australia
Inaugural event 1992
winning driver AustraliaMatt Close
winning co-driver AustraliaCameron Reeves
winning car Porsche 911 GT3
Official
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by spyderlite
Your not letting the air out of any bubble Targa Tasmania 2016 was an outright win Targa tasmania logo.png
Category Rally
Country Tasmania, Australia
Inaugural event 1992
winning driver AustraliaMatt Close
winning co-driver AustraliaCameron Reeves
winning car Porsche 911 GT3
Official
The elapsed times (total time) are as I posted above e.g. the smallest number is the fastest car relative to the benchmarks, in this case - the overall winner was a GT4 STI driven by Steve Glenney and Tim Kulhanek by about a minute. For reference the GT3 was first in GT2 (RWD class) - the winners in recent times have been a Gallardo (the whites car) or various GT-Rs - EVOs - WRX STIs etc. In this type of event the GT3 breaks traction too easily and isn't optimally sprung for the surface variability. I have done a lot of this and wouldn't choose a GT3 in a pink fit.

You may be mixing up the Wrest Point component which Matt Close did win. Historically (about 15+ years ago) Porsche did well in this event, in fact Jim Richards was a multiple winner in various Porsche sports car. However, since the advent of the AWD ERA they are not really that competitive - you would be better off in a TTS/991.2C4S - Matt Close is going well currently, I think he won high country outright (unlike Targa Tas its a bit of a niche event).

If you want to see where the GT3 sits have a look at something like the results from the ADAC 24hr Rennen last year or the year before or the year before........

http://24hrennenassets.azureedge.net...t_Official.pdf Its not good. Look where the only STI was and how many GT3s were behind it...........

The point being, the GT3 is a good off the shelf club car. Consider the design of the current RSR............

Last edited by randr; 03-20-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM
spyderlite
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not mixed up as you put it or on here to cause an argument the facts are the 991 GT3 won the 2016 Targa Tasmania Rally if you google youtube (Targa Tasmania 2016 - Porsche Centre Melbourne 991) you can watch it for yourself with the winners excepting there trophy at the end of the video.
Not sure why you are even posting on this thread apart from trying to pour rain on Porsche.The whole thread is about there win in 2016 with 991 GT3 2016. You can have the fastest time ever set but if you don't win it means nothing..
Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 AM
randr
Banned

See below for the official results and why shouldn't I post in the thread? I've done the event twice and actually lived there for 6 years
http://www.rallyresults.com.au/targa.../gt4_final.pdf STI 15:31s - total time

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/targa.../gt2_final.pdf GT3 16:36s - total time

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/targa...rdsSummary.pdf

If you look at the official results you will see its exactly as I said - right down to the elapsed times.

The GT3 was the out right winner in the GT2 class - formerly showroom RWD and the STI was the out right winner in the GT4 class - formerly showroom AWD. If you watch the video, you will see the presentation at the end - is for the GT2 class e.g. the guys wearing the Shannons suits are Jim Richards and his co-driver Barry Oliver who were third in GT2 (and were about 12mins behind the STI, based on total time there were at least 5 STIs ahead of the GT4). BTW the same presentation is done for each class winner. There is no overall winner, just the class break downs.

The caption from the video is below
The Targa Tasmania highlights from 2016 GT2 winners Matt Close and Cameron Reeves in the Porsche Centre Melbourne 991 GT3 fitted with an Akrapovic exhaust system

The GT3 simply won its class. I'm not being harsh on the GT3 - the reality is it gets outgunned in a lot of events, as another example look at the ADAC 24hr Rennen results list I posted above - however its still great as a club racer. As I said previously, the current RSR is mid engined - clearly, the GT cars are having to evolve quite dramatically to be competitive.

Also, I have a deposit down on a 991.2 GT3RS - however, and depending on how the new GT3 goes, I may well end up in a Macca. Make no mistake, there are quite a few P Car owners making that transition. Certainly some contend that Porsche have been a bit too conservative and they are now being out gunned by other players with first rate product e.g. various Maccas and the AMG GT R to name a few. Rightly or wrongly people look at results and make assumptions.

Last edited by randr; 03-21-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:16 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
See below for the official results and why shouldn't I post in the thread? I've done the event twice and actually lived there for 6 years
http://www.rallyresults.com.au/targa.../gt4_final.pdf STI 15:31s - total time

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/targa.../gt2_final.pdf GT3 16:36s - total time

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/targa...rdsSummary.pdf

If you look at the official results you will see its exactly as I said - right down to the elapsed times.

The GT3 was the out right winner in the GT2 class - formerly showroom RWD and the STI was the out right winner in the GT4 class - formerly showroom AWD. If you watch the video, you will see the presentation at the end - is for the GT2 class e.g. the guys wearing the Shannons suits are Jim Richards and his co-driver Barry Oliver who were third in GT2 (and were about 12mins behind the STI, based on total time there were at least 5 STIs ahead of the GT4). BTW the same presentation is done for each class winner. There is no overall winner, just the class break downs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f0BAVBqFGY
The caption from the video is below
The Targa Tasmania highlights from 2016 GT2 winners Matt Close and Cameron Reeves in the Porsche Centre Melbourne 991 GT3 fitted with an Akrapovic exhaust system

The GT3 simply won its class. I'm not being harsh on the GT3 - the reality is it gets outgunned in a lot of events, as another example look at the ADAC 24hr Rennen results list I posted above - however its still great as a club racer. As I said previously, the current RSR is mid engined - clearly, the GT cars are having to evolve quite dramatically to be competitive.

Also, I have a deposit down on a 991.2 GT3RS - however, and depending on how the new GT3 goes, I may well end up in a Macca. Make no mistake, there are quite a few P Car owners making that transition. Certainly some contend that Porsche have been a bit too conservative and they are now being out gunned by other players with first rate product e.g. various Maccas and the AMG GT R to name a few. Rightly or wrongly people look at results and make assumptions.
Ignorant question from 'Up Above' to you guys from 'Down Under': I thought Macca was Aussie for McDonald's. Are you extending the golden arches to McLaren?
Old 04-09-2017, 07:07 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Ignorant question from 'Up Above' to you guys from 'Down Under': I thought Macca was Aussie for McDonald's. Are you extending the golden arches to McLaren?
thats Maccas, yeah we are a bit like that here...

but just as a comment to RANDR's post whilst i too have money down and a delivery timeframe of november for 991.2 gt3, i may well swap for a 570s as it similar money for both.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:19 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
This is incorrect a GT4 "showroom" class Subaru WRX STI was the fastest overall - I know I was there and have been in this event several times.

WRX STI 15:31 (GT4)

991.1 GT3 16:36 (GT2) - first in the GT2 class

Huracan 18:47 (GT2)

Nissan GT R 19:44 (GT4)

Sorry to let the air out of the Porsche bubble - but they are generally crap at road rallys

The GT3 is good on a track and thats about it
Well, you might have been there but you obviously weren't paying attention.
"They are generally crap rally cars" ?
You might want to go back through the stage results. Up until the Viper of Whites blew up (after five days of competition) the Outright (yes outright!) stage wins were equally shared between the Viper and our GT3. Nine stage wins each. All else stages were "cleaned"). Subaru zip. (That's none)

After the Viper blew up on, at the end of day 5 we were leading GT2 by 9 minutes! And leading GT4 (your beloved Subaru STi) by over 4 minutes 30 seconds. (See time sheets)

So, with one day to go and a huge lead (outright), we really didn't feel like we needed to push hard. Our race was finished when White retired - we just had to get to the finish on the short final day.
Then, we got a puncture on the second last stage of the event and striped the tyre off the rim losing more than 3 minutes and was lucky to finish the event. (See time sheets)

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/targa...97&paramVal3=5

So, sure - the Subaru did beat us outright on the clock. Was it faster - not a chance. They got lucky and good for them! In the wet I'd expect the Subi to excel with its AWD coming to the fore and I'm not so braves throwing 300k of car around in the wet.

But cool story randr
Back to my bubble...
Attached Images    

Last edited by skippyBKR; 04-09-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-09-2017, 09:31 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Awesome pictures/video and congrats on the win!!!

I think that's the first time I've seen launch control used for a legitimate reason.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Superfans
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
The Targa Tasmania is one of the worlds most challenging tarmac rallies run on the island of Tasmania in Australia over 5 days.
Thanks for posting the video. It is awesome! Now I know why the GT cars are so hard to get! It is simply incredible! Never thought stock car can run like that. Speechless!
Old 04-09-2017, 02:44 PM
skippyBKR
Instructor

We are madly gearing up for Targa Tasmania 2017 - only 2 weeks away!
Red GT3 has been put out to pasture. New car being prepped.... official launch this week. (Photos to come)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:13 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Where did randr go? Still checking the outright stage times I'm guessing....

Quick Reply: GT3 Wins Targa Tasmania