Sponsored by:

R value?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default R value?

So I was #1 at my dealer, obviously no soup for me. A couple of weeks before, when I thought I might get one, I was actually wondering whether I would order it. I really like my GT3. I was even thinking about letting a friend take it, who loves manuals.

Now I'm scratching my head. This is an RS without a wing and a manual transmission for a $275k preimium? Really, $275k for a manual trans?

I'm a bit bitter that I didn't get one after being on the wait list since about a week after the rumors started, but I can't imagine this value premium will hold up. That's $350k more than my car with 500 less RPM and probably slower.

For $500k, I would buy a singer and really have something special.

What is the real market for this 991tb (tulip bulb)?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:21 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I've been #1 at my dealer also. A lot of enthusiasts including me are likely not getting this car. We've wanted it for years, and getting denied.

So - the price will be way over msrp for considerable time.... Anytime one gets to a "reasonable level" there will be sufficient demand, and it will move.

But -275k over seems absolutely ridiculous. I think we can use the 4.0 as some sort of comparison - maybe the 911R price settles a touch lower in the long run
Old 03-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 796 Likes on 368 Posts

I've had a deposit on this car for years. I'm pissed I didn't get one but i take solace that I'm no. 1 for the .2 3 and RS.

At least one of those will have a manual.

I don't think the premium will sustain once the next gt's with manual get announced
Old 03-21-2016, 08:34 PM
uvRS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a technical perspective it deserves no premium over an RS. It's basically an RS with a manual tranny and less aero.
However, the R is numbered. The RS is not.
As such it will likely always command a significant premium IMHO.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
I've had a deposit on this car for years. I'm pissed I didn't get one but i take solace that I'm no. 1 for the .2 3 and RS. At least one of those will have a manual. I don't think the premium will sustain once the next gt's with manual get announced
Manual FTW(for the win) Jamie!!!

I wonder what the demand would have been on this car if it only came in PDK... Would it have been sold out? Sure,no doubt! But what makes it epic is the combination of the high revving RS engine with a manual transmission,a single mass flywheel and lightweight(at least in comparison with the rest of the lineup with the same or close to power levels).

Yes,PAG and PCNA are reading the forums and are listening to their customers! That is why the GT4 was born with a manual transmission and had immense success. That is why the R came to life in this configuration as well. And that is why the next GT3 will have a manual! And I am happy to say I have always carried the flag of the manual transmission and will continue to do so...myself and many others... Because there hasn't been invented a more satisfying experience just yet in a sports car...a car that you mostly drive on occasion for the fundamental pleasure of driving,whether on the street or track.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

^ Very well said
Old 03-21-2016, 10:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Anything Porsche with a numbered plate on the dash sells out.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
I've had a deposit on this car for years. I'm pissed I didn't get one but i take solace that I'm no. 1 for the .2 3 and RS.

At least one of those will have a manual.

I don't think the premium will sustain once the next gt's with manual get announced
I've been first on my dealer's list for this car for almost two years and it looks like I'm not getting one either.

Alternatively though I'm a bit irritated and not likely getting the .2 GT3 because of this. Maybe an F12 or a 570R....
Old 03-22-2016, 04:09 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Anything Porsche with a numbered plate on the dash sells out.
Was still able to get an 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 brand new, and was able to get more than one, if I wanted. Same for the 997.2 GT2 RS.

The R? Nope. Been #1 since before it was even a rumor.

Too bad, really.

Eh, I don't want an R anyway. The RS 4.0 and the GT2 RS had wonderful wings.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like many of us die hard enthusiasts here on RL had a deposit at #1 for a long time... And didn't get one.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How would you feel if you were a 918 owner and you still didn't get an R allocation like some in the ROW. I would be more than upset knowing US non 918 buyers received one. How does PAG explain that one.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Manual FTW(for the win) Jamie!!!

I wonder what the demand would have been on this car if it only came in PDK... Would it have been sold out? Sure,no doubt! But what makes it epic is the combination of the high revving RS engine with a manual transmission,a single mass flywheel and lightweight(at least in comparison with the rest of the lineup with the same or close to power levels).

Yes,PAG and PCNA are reading the forums and are listening to their customers! That is why the GT4 was born with a manual transmission and had immense success. That is why the R came to life in this configuration as well. And that is why the next GT3 will have a manual! And I am happy to say I have always carried the flag of the manual transmission and will continue to do so...myself and many others... Because there hasn't been invented a more satisfying experience just yet in a sports car...a car that you mostly drive on occasion for the fundamental pleasure of driving,whether on the street or track.
too funny - think how awesome it would be if it had drum brakes and a magneto!

Obviously not a manual trans only issue, GT3 and RS were way oversubscribed with PDK only.

GT4 is badass and would be even more badass with PDK option.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
How would you feel if you were a 918 owner and you still didn't get an R allocation like some in the ROW. I would be more than upset knowing US non 918 buyers received one. How does PAG explain that one.
I'm not sure why being upset for that reason could be reasonably justified. Were ROW 918 buyers given a specific or guaranteed promise of having first dibs on these 'special' cars?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,235 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
I'm not sure why being upset for that reason could be reasonably justified. Were ROW 918 buyers given a specific or guaranteed promise of having first dibs on these 'special' cars?
I love it. Guys complaining that 918 guys get them all and now that 918 guy couldn't get one.

Can't have it both ways.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I love it. Guys complaining that 918 guys get them all and now that 918 guy couldn't get one.

Can't have it both ways.
I don't think you'll find that I expressed both of those views. It's really not earth shattering news that different people have different perspectives.

Quick Reply: R value?