Sponsored by:

R value?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 09:01 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Bingo. Feel exactly the same. To my eyes, which admittedly have less vision these days, the GT3 is right at that line of being over the top, but didn't cross it. The GT3 RS crosses it and keeps going for a few miles. The 991 R just looks too plain to me.

But that is so subjective! And fortunately, we have awesome choices to fit any taste.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:07 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally wouldn't buy the R if it were the same cost as the GT3, let alone the GT3 RS. I just don't think it is distinctive enough. Looks like a regular 911 to me.

For that money, I would look at the 997 RS 4.0 all day long.
BINGO...if I'm going to plunk down $400k+ for a Porsche it'd be a 997 4.0, not a 991RS or 991R. I'm in my late 30s and for me....no wing = no care.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:19 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Bingo. Feel exactly the same. To my eyes, which admittedly have less vision these days, the GT3 is right at that line of being over the top, but didn't cross it. The GT3 RS crosses it and keeps going for a few miles. The 991 R just looks too plain to me.
Completely agree. This is why I love my GT3, and plan on getting a .2GT3

The 991 GT3 to me is what the 911 used to be.... car that you can daily drive, take the track regularly, take on a date.... a car that looks special, but not crazy exotic and showy. The RS is too much, I'm not parking that thing at work.
The regular 991 911s and the 911R look a bit plain, not like a sports car and more like a luxury sedan.

All IMHO, of course.

An R doesn't interest me other than for investment purchases.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Stockholm996TT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am thinking that we might underestimate the changes that have been made to the R until first drives are possible. I don't think that we will see the R as a pure "parts bin exercise", but rather as a finely tuned package that showed us that modern cars, even though getting bigger and heavier can be fantastic fun.

From the top of my head:
- new 6 speed gear box
- single-mass flywheel
- retuned rear wheel steering
- reduction of insulation (should improve engine sound in car)
- 70 kg lower weight than the GT3 (and probably more like 100 kg in most cases since the majority will pick steel brakes and the club-sport package with a roll-over bar adding even further to the weight difference).

Also don't forget that most GT4s (the deal of the century in my eyes) will be specced with steel brakes and perhaps also the roll-over bar and therefore ending up at the same weight as the R. The R however has the 500 hp engine revving to almost 9000 RPM. If the R is anything like a GT4, but with that engine, it should be pretty good.

I might not be entirely objective since I fell in love with the car from day 1, but any way. :-)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:34 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Completely agree. This is why I love my GT3, and plan on getting a .2GT3

The 991 GT3 to me is what the 911 used to be.... car that you can daily drive, take the track regularly, take on a date.... a car that looks special, but not crazy exotic and showy. The RS is too much, I'm not parking that thing at work.
The regular 991 911s and the 911R look a bit plain, not like a sports car and more like a luxury sedan.

All IMHO, of course.

An R doesn't interest me other than for investment purchases.
Great way of putting it. So in conclusion, this really isn't people not liking something because they can't afford it. If you gave me a choice of the 911R, 991 GT3 RS, 991 GT3 or 997 RS 4.0, and they all cost the same, I am going 991 GT3. If I could do the 4.0 clutch, that would be second.

Just personal preference, and what the eyes like. Definitely not because of cost.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:34 AM
uvRS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stockholm996TT
I am thinking that we might underestimate the changes that have been made to the R until first drives are possible. I don't think that we will see the R as a pure "parts bin exercise", but rather as a finely tuned package that showed us that modern cars, even though getting bigger and heavier can be fantastic fun.

From the top of my head:
- new 6 speed gear box
- single-mass flywheel
- 70 kg lower weight than the GT3 (and probably more like 100 kg in most cases since the majority will pick steel brakes and the club-sport package with a roll-over bar adding even further to the weight difference).

I might not be entirely objective since I fell in love with the car from day 1, but any way. :-)

I thought PCCB was standard on the R. Are steels an option?
Also, does Porsche quote the weight of the R without stereo and A/C?
Wondering what the apples to apples weight comparo is between the R vs RS. I'd guess they are not as different as the official quoted figures if comparing with equal equipment.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:43 AM
Stockholm996TT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uvRS
I thought PCCB was standard on the R. Are steels an option?
Also, does Porsche quote the weight of the R without stereo and A/C?
Wondering what the apples to apples weight comparo is between the R vs RS. I'd guess they are not as different as the official quoted figures if comparing with equal equipment.
No, no, I mean that my feeling is that most GT3s will be specced with steel brakes and therefore increasing the weight difference to the R that can only be specced with PCCB.

The weights stated by Porsche are always for a car in its lightest possible spec with all fluids and 90% full tank. For a GT3 this means PCCB, no AC, no radio, no roll-cage, lightest seats, 64 l tank, light weight battery, no further options. Anything different than this will increase the weight of the car above the stated weight.

The same of course goes for the R.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:04 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Completely agree. This is why I love my GT3, and plan on getting a .2GT3 The 991 GT3 to me is what the 911 used to be.... car that you can daily drive, take the track regularly, take on a date.... a car that looks special, but not crazy exotic and showy. The RS is too much, I'm not parking that thing at work. The regular 991 911s and the 911R look a bit plain, not like a sports car and more like a luxury sedan. All IMHO, of course. An R doesn't interest me other than for investment purchases.
I agree with you that the 991gt3 is more like a regular old 911. Porsche has moved the envelope a little towards usability.
However the 991rs to me takes the gt3 spot. So there is room in the lineup for a more track focused RS.

The R is a beautiful car! Would be a great DD if rear seats was available and not limited production. More like speedster or an anniversary model to me.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:12 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm 39, more concerned about driving feel vs looks. Was disappointed by the 991 3, thought the R might address some of what I didn't like.

Think I will make a 4.0 boxster spyder if the R doest work out - the only current generation Porche I've loved is my 3.8 981 made in 2014.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:25 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,236 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I'm 39, more concerned about driving feel vs looks. Was disappointed by the 991 3, thought the R might address some of what I didn't like. Think I will make a 4.0 boxster spyder if the R doest work out - the only current generation Porche I've loved is my 3.8 981 made in 2014.
Boxster spyder is incredibly fun with 3.8/375. With 4.0/450hp it will be an animal.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,236 Likes on 608 Posts

Great way of putting it. So in conclusion, this really isn't people not liking something because they can't afford it. If you gave me a choice of the 911R, 991 GT3 RS, 991 GT3 or 997 RS 4.0, and they all cost the same, I am going 991 GT3. If I could do the 4.0 clutch, that would be second. Just personal preference, and what the eyes like. Definitely not because of cost.
Equal money you take the 991GT3 over RS? Over 4.0 997?

Okay well send me the 4.0/Rs leads!!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:01 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

From the top of my head:
- new 6 speed gear box
- single-mass flywheel

Also don't forget that most GT4s (the deal of the century in my eyes) will be specced with steel brakes and perhaps also the roll-over bar and therefore ending up at the same weight as the R. The R however has the 500 hp engine revving to almost 9000 RPM. If the R is anything like a GT4, but with that engine, it should be pretty good.

Very well put and agree
Old 03-24-2016, 10:11 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

From the top of my head:
- new 6 speed gear box
- single-mass flywheel

-almost 9000 is not 9000

- i was expecting more to be an R
than a tuned , but still too heavy for R, manual gearbox from regular Carrera
(Ricardo just established in 2014 their offices in Weissach
so a bright future for Next models trasmission is sure)

- overall, by the market, an overvalued car because limited
Old 03-24-2016, 10:43 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Equal money you take the 991GT3 over RS? Over 4.0 997?

Okay well send me the 4.0/Rs leads!!
Absolutely. But that assumes the market for those cars had the same price tag, not just what I could buy them for. Obviously if I could buy a $400k 4.0 for 991 GT3 money, I would buy it.

The RS, while I think it is an awesome car, is just too flashy for me. And I have had surgery on my left knee, so that stiff clutch in the 4.0 is a tough one. And just not a fan of the 911R. But that's me. I am sure a lot of guys would pick something else.

Even if you said the 991 GT3 market price was a bit more than the other three, I still would have bought it. The hardest decision would have been between the 4.0, not the other two.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Boxster spyder is incredibly fun with 3.8/375. With 4.0/450hp it will be an animal.
The base NA 981.1 Boxster is the best looking new Porsche, IMO, and any hp above 250 is completely useless on my back-roads. This is the purist Porsche of today. It's biggest problem is that it's too cheap for the "purists" to even notice it -- and maybe not being a 911 with stripes and numbered plates.

Quick Reply: R value?