Would go great with frogger :-)
Love your RS.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
too funny - think how awesome it would be if it had drum brakes and a magneto!
Would be funny, but not really retro-911, as they all had 4-wheel discs and alternators from the start (52 years ago), afaik
Old 03-22-2016, 04:35 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Who cares. There is nothing interesting about this car other than the manual transmission. If it wasn't a limited production car no one could care...end of story. Everyone always wants what they can have most. I'm looking forward to what the .2 GT cars have to offer.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:43 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Who cares. There is nothing interesting about this car other than the manual transmission. If it wasn't a limited production car no one could care...end of story. Everyone always wants what they can have most. I'm looking forward to what the .2 GT cars have to offer.
+1

So let's stop talking about it, no more complaints about allocations and what not and go enjoy your Porsche.

I do, however, think that the 911R would look beautifully parked next to my 911 GT3RS together
Old 03-22-2016, 04:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Than you have the R to park in the living room I guess?
Leave the door opened so you can see its no regular C2S.
Don't forget the stripes and the stickers. No way to confuse it with a regular C2S.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:52 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Would be funny, but not really retro-911, as they all had 4-wheel discs and alternators from the start (52 years ago), afaik
No reason to set artificial limits in defining the relationship between a lack of tech and fun. 356 had both.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:52 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Than you have the R to park in the living room I guess?
Leave the door opened so you can see its no regular C2S

Plus the blurple psychedelic time machine made everything obsolete.
Well except maybe that one of one only street version old beat up 996..
I'm going to the NY autoshow opening gala on Thursday, I'll be sure to ask someone from PAG/PCNA why they didn't make the door clear so you can tell it's not a C2S
Old 03-22-2016, 11:38 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The R is definitely interesting, but I can't afford one so I have no problem with limited allocations, although it would make me happy to see everyone here who wants one with one. I also put a lot into aesthetics and although it's a solid looker, the wing is something I love so I wouldn't be able to do it, personally the rs and regular gt3 look better and have performance to back it up so that's where I'd go if I could afford any of the three that is, right now only the gt3 which you won't see me complaining about I will say I feel like the value will hold up since it is limited production don't know about the whole 250k above MSRP but definitely has value
Old 03-23-2016, 12:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
This is an RS without a wing and a manual transmission for a $275k preimium? Really, $275k for a manual trans?
Wait....I guess I haven't been keeping up with some of the scoop on the R. The going price is $275K over sticker??
Old 03-23-2016, 12:46 AM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

not my car thought I share

Old 03-23-2016, 09:39 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

So this thing is going to cost about what a 997 GT3 RS 4.0 costs today? If so, no doubt which car I would buy.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:12 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu
Manual FTW(for the win) Jamie!!!

I wonder what the demand would have been on this car if it only came in PDK... Would it have been sold out? Sure,no doubt! But what makes it epic is the combination of the high revving RS engine with a manual transmission,a single mass flywheel and lightweight(at least in comparison with the rest of the lineup with the same or close to power levels).

Yes,PAG and PCNA are reading the forums and are listening to their customers! That is why the GT4 was born with a manual transmission and had immense success. That is why the R came to life in this configuration as well. And that is why the next GT3 will have a manual! And I am happy to say I have always carried the flag of the manual transmission and will continue to do so...myself and many others... Because there hasn't been invented a more satisfying experience just yet in a sports car...a car that you mostly drive on occasion for the fundamental pleasure of driving,whether on the street or track.
How hard is it to offer a Manual, 6 or 7 speed(?), when ordering up a GT3/RS?

Beside the 7 speed transmission we thought was moving the entire envelope forward I now realize that most actual "Trackster's" would rather have a 6 speed manual instead of a 7 speed. And if we could ask for different gearing too with a 32/8 R & P.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:07 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with earlier poster who said those dissing the R are rationalizing because they would probably want one of they could get one.

I too am frustrated I haven't been able to get one despite buying several GT Porsches and being on dealer list early for one.

I admit that I see the attraction to the R... It's basically a limited production 911 GT3 RS with more practical, stealthy appearance that one could drive more often without looking like a boy racer. And between its limited production and well chosen interior bits, especially the 911 50th Anniversary style houndstooth cloth seat inserts and similar classic green dials, it's feels more... luxurious than a typical GT3.

I'd love to have one as a daily driver.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
I agree with earlier poster who said those dissing the R are rationalizing because they would probably want one of they could get one.

I too am frustrated I haven't been able to get one despite buying several GT Porsches and being on dealer list early for one.

I admit that I see the attraction to the R... It's basically a limited production 911 GT3 RS with more practical, stealthy appearance that one could drive more often without looking like a boy racer. And between its limited production and well chosen interior bits, especially the 911 50th Anniversary style houndstooth cloth seat inserts and similar classic green dials, it's feels more... luxurious than a typical GT3.

I'd love to have one as a daily driver.
I'd also add that it feels a shame the way PCNA is handling this car by making it in such limited production as yet another gift to 918 VIP program buyers as an investment. For example, my SA told me yesterday that they will have one I could buy this way: a 918 VIP customer of theirs who bought two 918s gets two R's. He is taking both allocations, as is his right, but only keeping one. He and the dealer have an agreement that the dealer can effectively sell the allocation to another buyer for a huge markup (like $150K over of whatever TBD), and that buyer would get to spec the car ordered by the 918 VIP buyer. The R would then be punched in service upon delivery and immediately retitled back to the dealer and sold "used" to the non-918 VIP buyer at the much higher price, and the 918 VIP buyer and dealer both make a big profit. Gross.

It's beginning to look to me like the 918 has been transformed into an annuity investment for 918 buyers. The R was supposedly made for buyers like me, but no buyers like me will ever have one, only crazy wealthy folks who will never drive it.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Wait....I guess I haven't been keeping up with some of the scoop on the R. The going price is $275K over sticker??
I've heard two rumors about offers for a VIP slot for $250k and $275k over list. I don't know if the dealer is getting the juice or the 918 owner or if it's split.

Quick Reply: R value?