Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019 | 09:10 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
BlazinPond: You have chosen four relatively cost efficient/effective areas of weight reduction in Porsche GT cars. Two words of caution, however. First, while magnesium wheels reduce rotating as well as unsprung weight, they are more delicate than aluminum or steel and if you live in an area with very bad roads (e.g., many potholes). I would consider not changing the OE wheels as they are less painful (expensive) to replace if damaged. Second, due to titanium's oxidation temperature (approximately 530 degrees degrees C) it will not have the longevity of a steel or an Inconel system.
Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
I'll hold off on the magnesium wheels for now.
That will allow me focus on the ST carbon ceramic brakes next.

As far as the titanium exhaust, I have the JCR center (silenced) titanium center muffler, just haven't had time to install yet.
I'm going to combine with a Fabspeed steel, valved side muffler bypass, so it should give me good weight savings and sound.
I wasn't planning on doing a header w/ sport cats just yet, since the sound is gonna be pretty loud as is.

I could be wrong, but the JCR center has a lifetime warranty so I wasn't worried about oxidation.
I'll have to check with JCR.

Sorry if I have sidetracked this thread....but again, I appreciate your insights.
Old 01-06-2019 | 02:28 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Porsche GT Cars' Motor Mount in carbon fiber - this one with center removable shield for 911R.

Old 01-06-2019 | 03:34 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Bob, thank you for continuing to share. This is incredible!
Old 01-27-2019 | 03:18 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Brief Update: Aluminum Lithium Front and Rear Brake Calipers ready in 4 weeks; Front and Rear Drop Links in Aluminum and Titanium ready in 6 weeks; Carbon Fiber Air Filter Box, Induction System, and Motor Bracket all ready by April; Inconel and Titanium Exhaust ready by April; Carbon Clutch ready by end of summer; Carbon Fiber Gear Box in design stage.
Old 01-27-2019 | 03:32 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Wow thank you for sharing. That's a lot of fabrication projects running simultaneously. Looking forward to the end product.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Brief Update: Aluminum Lithium Front and Rear Brake Calipers ready in 4 weeks; Front and Rear Drop Links in Aluminum and Titanium ready in 6 weeks; Carbon Fiber Air Filter Box, Induction System, and Motor Bracket all ready by April; Inconel and Titanium Exhaust ready by April; Carbon Clutch ready by end of summer; Carbon Fiber Gear Box in design stage.
Old 01-28-2019 | 01:13 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Would most of these work for the 991.2 GT3 manual?
Old 01-28-2019 | 02:22 AM
928cs
Race Car

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Wow thank you for sharing. That's a lot of fabrication projects running simultaneously. Looking forward to the end product.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
+1
Thank you.
Old 01-28-2019 | 08:29 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Yes everything should.
Old 01-28-2019 | 09:58 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

extreme rich content!

pls keep the infos (the pricing probably not ) coming Robert!

i whish you and your team all the best and good luck during this tough process!
Old 01-28-2019 | 12:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I have not read this entire thread, but first off what an amazing project, Robert! A thought, and again I have not read all the way through so maybe it was said somewhere. What if you started with one part? This part would hopefully be common across all models, so economies of scale would be more practical. Then select that part based on how cost-effective it would be (cost vs. weight savings), and pick something that is less expensive as well. So people can start buying and commenting on that one item, making how-to videos etc., and get the ball rolling for item #2. I just personally know that I would not go for an entire kit. Too expensive. Just thinking out loud. Amazing project regardless. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2019 | 02:48 PM
JarmoL
Racer

This is on another level.. It's amazing that you are able to actually produce these parts. Not just ideas and renderings.
Old 01-28-2019 | 03:55 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
As far as the titanium exhaust, I have the JCR center (silenced) titanium center muffler, just haven't had time to install yet.
I'm going to combine with a Fabspeed steel, valved side muffler bypass, so it should give me good weight savings and sound.

I could be wrong, but the JCR center has a lifetime warranty so I wasn't worried about oxidation.
I'll have to check with JCR.
You have no need to be concerned, the grade of Titanium that we use in our products far surpasses the oxidation point that Robert refers to in his response.

I do wonder which grade he will be selecting for his own Titanium exhaust? I suggest not the material he’s referring to, otherwise as he says, it’ll be a cause for concern from a longevity stand point.

Maybe this explains the recent narrative that ‘titanium exhausts crack’ which so many have mentioned when others discuss our titanium exhaust products?

JC
Old 01-28-2019 | 06:32 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Titanium oxidizes at 530 C and although this can be somewhat retarded by certain coatings and/or certain alloys (e.g., Timet XT) nothing can stop this which, in turn, leads to metal degradation, cracking, etc. In short, titanium, if used correctly, can be reduce weight and is a better insulator than steel or Inconel, but it is not for longevity.
Old 01-28-2019 | 06:34 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Having said this, my new exhaust system for the R will have Inconel headers and titanium tubes and end muffler.
Old 01-28-2019 | 07:30 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Having said this, my new exhaust system for the R will have Inconel headers and titanium tubes and end muffler.
Which specific material have you selected given your stance on Titanium being a less than ideal material for the job? Surely <0.5mm Inconel would be the more logical choice given your feelings?

JC

Quick Reply: 911R Weight Reduction