Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 06:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

I don't see the value of the WP either, now in Europe with the Ti roll bar, yes.

But in the US I think I prefer the steel way bars and keep the money for the roll bar, non Porsche CCB rotors and 19" track wheels.
With this much power, you're going to need more then N2 spec Michelins.

Now if you a re going to bubble wrap it, then yes you need a superlight stripper WP car..
Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
Sorry, a little off current topic....

So last week I got some great news, I got a allocation for a Sept build.

Normally I can spec all my cars in less than 10 minutes, but for some reason I'm having a issue here. I've gone back and forth about 100 times on whether or not to add the WP. Im having a issue justifying spending 31K to save 30LBS and get a stripe on the hood....or am I missing something?? Porsche is doing a great job of only marketing the car only with the WP, and it seems that everyone says its a must if you get this car, but is it? My car will not be in bubble wrap, it will be on the track 10+ times per year. I'm sure ill see a lot of you at Sebring and RA. I'm going to spec with Bose (heavy *** subwoofer) and install a steal cage, so not concerned about weight. I just think about how many sets of tires and brakes I can buy with 31K. Would love to get some opinions on this...

Thanks guys!
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I don't see the value of the WP either, now in Europe with the Ti roll bar, yes.

But in the US I think I prefer the steel way bars and keep the money for the roll bar, non Porsche CCB rotors and 19" track wheels.

Now if you a re going to bubble wrap it, then yes you need a superlight stripper WP car..
I'm generally in agreement with Trakcar but I would consider buying the Mg wheels aftermarket, which will save you around $10k. Reducing rotational unsprung weight is the holy grail.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

My 19” and CCB really make a difference.
Just the CCB are a real Data proven .5sec per lap difference at Sebring.
Lighter Forgelines (Sorry don’t know weights) and R7 also added to weight reduction.

getting the car corner balanced today.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

100 percent agree.

I also usually spec my cars in 10 minutes or less.....but WP as well as color choice on this car has me second guessing myself way too much.

A sidenote....most carbon fiber roof cars I've owned (BMW's) make a very unpleasant creaking sound. I wondering if abandoning the Mg roof and going for the lighter carbon roof w WP will have this issue?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This is just me personally, and not here to give advice to anyone.

But if I am buying a GT2 RS (or really any high-end sportscar), whatever money I put into it, I simply do not expect to see a return back on it and have already resigned myself to the normal depreciation curve for any non GT car.

Now, if I drive the thing for a year, and it appreciates, os much the better. But am I going into the purchase expecting that to happen? No way.

I agree with you a hundred percent. Like foot soldier said before.....the market is pretty saturated at this point and the price point is up there.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
100 percent agree.

I also usually spec my cars in 10 minutes or less.....but WP as well as color choice on this car has me second guessing myself way too much.

A sidenote....most carbon fiber roof cars I've owned (BMW's) make a very unpleasant creaking sound. I wondering if abandoning the Mg roof and going for the lighter carbon roof w WP will have this issue?
Not sure about other cars but I also have F80 M3 and the creaking I believe from what I have read is coming from the black shadowline trim. Apparently not an issue with the M4.
With that said if I would get a GT2 allocation I probably would order the WP package but agree color may be tough to choose.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:18 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Ok, let me ask you guys....don't you believe that we are currently at the peak of the GT2RS market in terms of ADMs for allocations or will the peak be hit once the first cars hit the ground? I mean, do any of you think that the price of the car will go up once they all hit the ground? If I recall, this seems very similar to what happened with the 991R...huge asking prices and then back down when more and more cars were being flipped. I see the same exact thing happening. The 992 GT2RS even be even more nuts so this car will be not be top dog and prices will reflect that.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 AM
m4n0t0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Ok, let me ask you guys....don't you believe that we are currently at the peak of the GT2RS market in terms of ADMs for allocations or will the peak be hit once the first cars hit the ground? I mean, do any of you think that the price of the car will go up once they all hit the ground? If I recall, this seems very similar to what happened with the 991R...huge asking prices and then back down when more and more cars were being flipped. I see the same exact thing happening. The 992 GT2RS even be even more nuts so this car will be not be top dog and prices will reflect that.
I have the feeling that if i would look at the car for profit, the best moment is now ! Right now as there is offer on mobile.de @ 500Ke and more. But in the same time who can predict that... who knows what are the feedback about Asian market that are playing a very important role today.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:03 AM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I think the value / demand will spike once there are some good reviews and real street footage on YouTube. I know a lot of younger guys that have more money than they know what to do with that only buy cars based on trends and what Chris Harris says on his review. This happened with the 3RS. Once all the YouTube reviews came out "everyone" wanted that car. I had buddies come to me and asked if I have ever heard or seen a of a GT3RS, LOL....yes I've been on the waiting list for 3 years...

Porsche did a great job promoting the GT3RS, but Chris Harris and other you YouTubers made that car the holy grail. I don't think Porsche could have ever predicted the "strong want" for that car, and when they saw it they did what any business would do, they made a lot more. Then simple supply and demand came into effect. Will the GT2RS price go up, yes...will it stay up, all depends on production #'s. I hope Porsche has learned it's lesson and will try to restrain itself and keep production #'s in check., The worse thing that could happen is to have 15-20 GT2RS's on ebay in a year, doesn't look good for the brand if there are a ton of the "best 911 ever" on the market........IMO....

Last edited by BK77; 01-09-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:46 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Anyone thinking of painting the rear lower bumper?

i am very tempted
Old 01-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

i am very tempted

I'm not getting a GT2RS but to my own surprise I like the weird look of the rear - even on a white car.
This is a surprise to myself.
I was considering painting the black stuff on the rear bumper on my 991.1GT3RS before I got the car - When I got it, I forgot about it and just been driving it since then
Old 01-09-2018, 10:51 AM
m4n0t0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am very tempted
I dont think painting will look good i'm more think about replacing them with carbon parts. http://dbcarbon.com did a good job on my GT3 RS
Old 01-09-2018, 01:55 PM
thegoat
Instructor

Two interesting pieces of info this morning from my SA. First, PTS is open. Seems like it may be widely available as I'm a Porsche nobody and can use it.

Second, and more interesting, my November build will be a '18 model year. My '16 3RS was the same, I believe also a November build and delivered in January, and marked the end of the production.

I didn't really believe the optimism that these would be built into 2019 to meet demand. I think this confirms that they won't be building many more than, if any more than, has already been allocated.

This is a unique and special car. I think of it as a showcase piece of what Porsche can do with the 911 platform. It only comes once a third blue moon. It doesn't get widely distributed. And you historically haven't seen that many trade hands. I hope Porsche doesn't change that in pursuit of a few bucks (a side question I have is how much they actually make on these cars given the development time for so few models sold).

I'm sure someone will take issue with the above.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I just got a call from my dealer.

Dealers don't know anything, but here is what he said:

He had two GT2RS in the system for his two 918 buyers but Porsche took them back out of the system.
Then he got the e-mail yesterday that all 991's will be 2018 models, but he said they really don't know anything yet, nor do they have any allocations.

Given the quantity of 991.2GT3 he has received he said there never has been this much new supply, and he was told they same will happen with the GT2RS.

Is the configurator correct, that if you do not take the leather interior you can only get whorehouse red?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJIMSQ48

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 01-09-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i am very tempted
I'm doing it,yes

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS