Racing Brake rotors vs AP Racing J hooks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 02:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Wow... just, wow.

I had tried Racing Brake rotors on my Audi TTRS a while back, and had a lot of trouble with brake vibration that I could never solve, so I went back to the stock rotors and the issues went away. Similar to the above OP, Racing Brake wasn't interested in helping me debug the issue and just pointed me to some forums to go read and ask questions.
did the rotors' hat mount to the hubs with concentricity controled?
if you got vibration, that was likely the cause.

these rotors seem to have a metalurgy much better than the zimmerman and OE products for porsche. I was a little lery to start , while looking at the tab design and rotor vanes. since then, their design has changed dramaticaly for the better as far as coloing. even the "original design" was 3-5x better than the stock OE design in fuction and durability.

I don't think there are very many cars here that put more heat in the rotor. we had a discussion about this at GREAT length earlier this year. (KE discussion). but, i will tell you that these rotors from RB are amazing and are now just as good as brembo, at about 25 to 50% less. You know me, im pretty critical of new products and "cheaper" products as well as testimonials from the "vet guys" or others. I see these guys often at the track and their braking performance. they usually have some great stuff, but i think with the RB.com, you get something that is now comparable. Just some recent test experience her over the last season and the first race of this year. Ill report back on the set up after this seasons over. the only thing i see as a possible problem is the thickness of the tabs, being 7mm vs brembo 8mm. but RB says their design is sound and there have been no issues. For what ive put the brakes through so far, i dont see any need to be concerned. again, ill report back in 6 months!

Old 03-25-2016, 02:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kiku
Here it is:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...ure-track.html

I have no dog in this fight. Just concerned enthusiast who saw this happen first hand.
scary stuff! but the point is on their response , is if the caliper and hub and (hat manufacturred by some other company) dont fit perfectly, i think , especially with the center mount product, there could be an issue... more so than the surface mount that Ive been using. but if they build and design it, the oblog hole allows for the rotor to expand outward , thus relieving stress on the tabs, brembo doesnt do that for example, but i think (just a guess here) that their over sized hole allows for expansion but also is a true floating rotor that might be noisy as can rattle around when cold.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:37 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The rotor incident on CTS-V was a mis-retrofit of new (V2) disc to old (V10 hat. Nothing wrong with RB rotors.

Facts:

Version 1 (04-07) - Rotor was 355x32mm, caliper is 4 pot.
Version 2 (2009+, no production in 2008) - Rotor is 370x34mm, caliper is 6 pot.

Customers buying the complete rotor assembly for V1 and V2 never had any issue.

When V2 was released in 2009 it's a fairly popular upgrade for V1 owners.

This V1 customer had RB two piece, he seemed to be satisfied with its performance, so when he upgraded to V2 brake (6 pot caliper w/370x34 rotors), instead of buying a new rotor assembly, he re-used his old V1 hat and only purchased the replacement ring (370x34) which is supposed only for fitting V2 hat with correct offset.

Brake failure for his rotor assembly was destined to occur.

We have a thread (below) to further explain what the offset difference can mean and discourage a consumer from retrofitting his own brake with his own assumption.

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1482

RB two piece rotors were considered to the toughest in Camaro, Corvette and CTS-V community (except this retrofit incident which can be scary unless members read the story behind).

Knowing GTR was the fastest and heaviest track cars on earth, we took the challenge and put our brake to GTR track racers hand since 2011, and after 5 years no one single claim was reported.

We have since taken a more cautious measure, no RB rotor rings can be purchased unless previous RB rotor ownership is verified, except Brembo/Stoptech BBK replacement rings, but even so we could also run into issue for those customers who do not assemble our rotor rings to original Brembo/Stoptech hats, however most customers understand and work with us to resolve their issues but there is always an exception such as this one.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:36 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman32
AP and brembo are the only brand I would use. Stoptech and Alcon may be? Other brands are junks to me include girodisc.
I have had long positive experiences with Giro and PFC ... Is your comment based on experience, science or mood?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:43 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1591930521

I simply replied to JR's comment about his comment on the design feature of AP rotors vs RB rotors
, although I wasn't sure if that's what AP really wants to engage into discussion.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1590975855

It was anticipated that someone (especially from JR who initiated this comparison) can further question or extend the discussion on design feature after our 1st response (w/two more to post), so we stay on objective discussion in "DESIGN differences" and learn from it, than as if anyone was questioning how popular AP rotors were in professional racing teams, because it was not what the thread title was suggesting.

I although believe Corvette community is for weekend warriors, who spent their own money for the best value of their brakes, than those racing team drivers.

We can only speak for what our brakes are made for (aftermarket stock replacement) with the following facts:

RB offers the first aftermarket light weight two piece rotors for Z06 since 2006 (including other American muscle cars like Camaro, Mustang, Viper etc.)
RB two piece replacement rotors (including Z51) has the longest running history on Corvette community than any other competition.
RB makes more two piece replacement rotors (from Acura to VW) than all the competition combined.
RB and AP (represented by Stillen) co-exists in Nissan GTR community, as two top serious track racers' choice on brake rotors.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:11 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HiWind
I have had long positive experiences with Giro and PFC ... Is your comment based on experience, science or mood?
Good question. Individual preference on certain brand is totally subjective. It's OK for one to be 100% faithful to brand A or brand B, but unless he has also experienced on other brands' products it's not a trustworthy comment and shall only be considered as a marketing strategy.

More option is always good for a consumer, and we believe a responsible manufacture/supplier should only present their design merits and service etc and leave the final decision to the consumers.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 04-05-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:49 PM
MiamiHeat
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AP Racing (Brembo subsidiary but operate autonomously) and Brembo are -without a doubt- the two leaders in the braking game. No surprise here as they also have the longest history in Motorsports and both decimate the others in the OEM market as well.

Check the rosters and the fact sheets. Check what the boys are running under their wheels on all fronts of elite level motorsports: FIA, ALMS, 24hr Lemans, GT, Japan GT, Nascar, Sprint Cup, F1, WRC, GT3, GT4, etc.

Don't get me started as I will single-handedly demolish the competition with FACTS.

And with regards to Alcon, let's leave them on the far back-burner for a long while. They love to rip off other's designs and as a matter of fact lost a recent, major lawsuit in a British Intellectual Property court by ripping off AP Racing's patented Radi-cal designs:

http://www.thebrakereport.com/brake-...ecord-damages/
Old 08-11-2017, 05:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I cannot make to much speed reversing out of my drive so I would just put them on the right way.

Quick Reply: Racing Brake rotors vs AP Racing J hooks