Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016 | 07:17 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

It took PAG 1 week to give the OK for a new motor on mine. The dealership though didn't wait knowing that my car needed the motor - a hole the size of my hand - there was no rebuilding this one... so they ordered it 3 days after arriving at the dealership.
Old 05-25-2016 | 07:26 PM
CALSE
Racer

2 days to diagnose via PIWIS, and wait for PCNA to approve motor drop.
2 days to drop, open, and photograph camshafts and lever arms.
2 days for PCNA to respond.
7 days to air freight new motor from GR to CA.
3 days to install and test.
Old 05-25-2016 | 10:17 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Underblu
Is it just me, I would not be a happy camper if I paid 150K for a car and then had to worry about potential serious engine issues.

This sounds eerily like the IMS issue. I hope Porsche does the right thing here with the owners
Not even close. IMS had failure rate close to 8% IIRC. In our case I doubt it is over 1-2%. Second the IMS issue resulted in catastrophic failures, in our case most likely top end rebuilds.
Old 05-25-2016 | 10:18 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
anyone have visibility into race teams running the new motor - how are they holding up? We've had a least one enduro now....
They all finished Daytona and Sebring.
Old 05-25-2016 | 10:25 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I chose end of October by mistake. So a redo at 785 and the failure rate is 2.7 percent using known failures. Still an unacceptable number in today's manufacturing world.
Respectfully disagree. Most of the issues result from hard track use with repeated trips to redline. AFAIK any engine which is subjected to hard track use has a significantly lower shorter life than an engine which is used at a more leisurely pace. I grant that the wear seems premature in many cases, but for me the wear is not unexpected.
Old 05-25-2016 | 10:36 PM
Underblu
Banned

Originally Posted by Just in time

Not even close. IMS had failure rate close to 8% IIRC. In our case I doubt it is over 1-2%. Second the IMS issue resulted in catastrophic failures, in our case most likely top end rebuilds.
As shake-n-bake said you don't know what the failure rate is for the E engines and this forum represents only a limited number of the total owners.

Your 2% estimate is only the number of replacements mentioned on this forum versus the total number of cars sold so it is erroneous.

I would be surprised if more than 30% of E series GT3 owners are forum members here. Therefore there is a liklihood that the failure rate is substantially greater and likely closer to that 8%.

BTW, I lived through the IMS scare with several Porsches that could have imploded. Thankfully, I had no issue and the cars were under warranty for the bulk of the time I had them. Still, Porsches' apparent lack of acknowledgement that there was a problem didn't give me peace of mind. I was very happy that the dfi engines eliminated the issue completely and so far appear relatively robust.

The engine on my first Porsche an 84 Carrera could've probabaly lasted a 300000 miles. That to me is what Porsche is. The super sports car that can be driven not babied.

The GT3 is a halo car. Porsche should ensure that GT3 owners are as worry free as possible with regards to their engines. Minimizing the issue won't help in that regard.
Old 05-25-2016 | 11:02 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

If the sample size of 'E' engines is 785 and 21 of those were replaced the percent defective is 2.7 percent. I can see this number going up if all members of the set checked in with their status.

The 'F' series will hopefully show better results. I believe most feel the 'G' series is the one to have.
Old 05-25-2016 | 11:16 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

^That is why they made a 2016 to appease the 918 Buyers and also the 2014s have no LWBs so I am sure they all complained
Old 05-25-2016 | 11:50 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
If the sample size of 'E' engines is 785 and 21 of those were replaced the percent defective is 2.7 percent. I can see this number going up if all members of the set checked in with their status.

The 'F' series will hopefully show better results. I believe most feel the 'G' series is the one to have.
Allan, no disrespect but one thing is a catastrophic failure and another is a computer telling us it will not let us rev to redline. My sense is that a lot of the enthusiasts that track their cars are on Rennlist so that reported "failures" are pretty accurate. While I don't have numbers to back up my assertion it seems that most if not all seem to be associated with repeated trips to redline at the track. As I have indicated before track use will shorten any engine's life. It would be unrealistic to expect that we can flog our cars at the track and have these engines age as if they were used for cruising on the interstate. Now PAG did sell us these things with a track use warranty. AFAIK P has stood by it. Wear is a constant on anything man made.
Old 05-26-2016 | 02:12 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Do not forget ROW, and I doubt the majority is on rennlist. Some have had to sign NDA's. Only the mothership knows for sure.

My sense is that a lot of the enthusiasts that track their cars are on Rennlist so that reported "failures" are pretty accurate. While I don't have numbers to back up my assertion it seems that most if not all seem to be associated with repeated trips to redline at the track.
Old 05-26-2016 | 03:13 AM
levd
Pro

Every track day in Europe I see more 991GT3s, than any other cars. And they are always different. I really doubt majority of these drivers are rennlisters. Maybe in States everyone is on Rennlist. Not so in Europe and other big markets.

I believe, applying 3x for cases we know about is much closer to reality than thinking that "reported "failures" are pretty accurate" . Reality may be even worse than 3x.

Looks like this summer we'll see many GT3 engines misfiring due to excessive wear. Spring already showed a scary number of faults.

Last edited by levd; 05-26-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-28-2016 | 01:03 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
I have a 2014 GT3 with 7,100 track miles plus 1,600 road miles. Haven't had the piston misfire problem yet.

Last week, the car went into limp mode due to a cam sensor warning. The dealer mechanics dropped the motor to check the timing and confirmed that there was a timing problem due to some wear on a spacer.

They further disassembled the engine to replace the spacer and I went in today to inspect the internals for evidence of the cam lifter wear that is the primary topic of this thread. There was some barely visible wear of the coating on several lifter arms (#3 was the worst) but it was pretty minor. The master mechanic is going to consult with Germany, but he doesn't think that it is bad enough to be judged a problem. If so, I will report back.

Just another data point for the records.
OK - I got my 2014 GT3 back yesterday. Timing problem has been fixed. Had to replace "cam phaser crush washers", whatever those are.

Regarding wear on the cam lifters, the dealer master mechanic and Germany concluded that there was not enough wear to warrant any action at this time. I trust the mechanic and have no doubt that Porsche and the dealer will properly address the cam lifter/piston misfire issue if it ever occurs in the future.

So here we are, I have 7,100 spirited track miles and 1,600 road miles and no piston misfire problem. Along with co-drivers, I'll get in another 3,000 track miles on the car by the end of the season. It it breaks I'll let you know!
Old 05-28-2016 | 01:09 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Regarding the extended (5 year) warranty that 2014 GT3 owners received as a result of the engine replacement program, does anyone know when the 5 year warranty period begins?

I did a European delivery and picked up the GT3 at the factory in January of 2014. Returned the car to the factory for shipment to the US. Car got caught in the Stop Sale while enroute. Took delivery of the car with the new engine in August.

S0 - when does the five year warranty begin. January or August?
Old 05-28-2016 | 02:31 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Regarding the extended (5 year) warranty that 2014 GT3 owners received as a result of the engine replacement program, does anyone know when the 5 year warranty period begins? I did a European delivery and picked up the GT3 at the factory in January of 2014. Returned the car to the factory for shipment to the US. Car got caught in the Stop Sale while enroute. Took delivery of the car with the new engine in August. S0 - when does the five year warranty begin. January or August?
From the date of purchase.
Old 05-28-2016 | 03:33 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Regarding the extended (5 year) warranty that 2014 GT3 owners received as a result of the engine replacement program, does anyone know when the 5 year warranty period begins?

I did a European delivery and picked up the GT3 at the factory in January of 2014. Returned the car to the factory for shipment to the US. Car got caught in the Stop Sale while enroute. Took delivery of the car with the new engine in August.

S0 - when does the five year warranty begin. January or August?
You can call the 800 number and give them you Vin. They will tell you how much long you have on both warranties.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?