Sponsored by:

Setup numbers RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by m3irish
Ran this alignment at COTA this past weekend. I was afraid to go with more front camber given the added caster rubbed the fender liners as is.

Pulled the front mesh under the vents. I don't think the rear rubbed the fender at all and I'm all over the candy strips.
Any change in camber creates a change in caster. Taking caster back to stock should address most of your rubbing issues. Believe stock is 9 or thereabouts.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:06 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Peter and others:
What have you done to your set up to prevent the front liner from rubbing? I had complete wear thru of the front right liner in one session! I did the full bulletin except rolling of the rear fenders. I have 2.5 of camber up front with 0 toe. Ride height is what the bulletin recommends.
My car was delivered the end of April. Not sure if there are updated liners? Are they replaced under warranty?
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Peter and others:
What have you done to your set up to prevent the front liner from rubbing? I had complete wear thru of the front right liner in one session! I did the full bulletin except rolling of the rear fenders. I have 2.5 of camber up front with 0 toe. Ride height is what the bulletin recommends.
My car was delivered the end of April. Not sure if there are updated liners? Are they replaced under warranty?
See previous post. Adding negative camber without adjusting caster results in a caster increase, which means a wheelbase increase (front wheel moves forward incrementally). Restoring factory caster should address most if not all of the rubbing taking place on the leading edge of your front fender liner. Beyond that you can also check to make sure ride height is consistent with updated factory bulletin specs (posted near the beginning of this thread).

If you're still getting rubbing after the above it might be time to explore uprated springs such as BBi's spring package, which adds about 20% stiffness over stock front springs.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:51 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
See previous post. Adding negative camber without adjusting caster results in a caster increase, which means a wheelbase increase (front wheel moves forward incrementally). Restoring factory caster should address most if not all of the rubbing taking place on the leading edge of your front fender liner. Beyond that you can also check to make sure ride height is consistent with updated factory bulletin specs (posted near the beginning of this thread).

If you're still getting rubbing after the above it might be time to explore uprated springs such as BBi's spring package, which adds about 20% stiffness over stock front springs.
So would you recommend getting the pucks or the thrust arms to address caster adjustment? Or both?
Old 10-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Either will work but I personally prefer adjustable thrust arms over pucks. Thrust arms are quicker and easier to adjust IMO and less likely to come out of adjustment over time. Either one will do the job but doing both is redundant.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:56 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Either will work but I personally prefer adjustable thrust arms over pucks. Thrust arms are quicker and easier to adjust IMO and less likely to come out of adjustment over time. Either one will do the job but doing both is redundant.
Thrust arms it is. Any issues with caster in the rear when dialing in more camber?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:59 PM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Thrust arms it is. Any issues with caster in the rear when dialing in more camber?
Not at all.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I am using Forgeline 19s all around with Hoosier R7. No rubbing issue and yes I had added negative camber. What a treat on the track! For Trackcar - easy 1:44s on Tremblant with a passenger and no heroics!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:35 PM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any change in camber creates a change in caster. Taking caster back to stock should address most of your rubbing issues. Believe stock is 9 or thereabouts.
Why would I want to run a stock alignment?

Originally Posted by Macca
m3irish. I think the GT3/RS likes a "square" camber (all four corners the same). How did it feel?
You might be right and maybe even less camber than the standard GT3. My GT3 wanted more camber in the rear than the front (-3F/-3.2R). I would have went square if I had a caster solution. A little understeery in the faster sections for me. The front sway was at the medium setting and rear at full stiff. Next time I'll likely go full soft in the front. A pleasant surprise was the Dunlops even wear at the alignment above.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Mine is all original + only the Porsche recommended update.

Not at all.
Rear is no touch and the car seems to like this Porsche recommended rake.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I am using Forgeline 19s all around with Hoosier R7. No rubbing issue and yes I had added negative camber. What a treat on the track! For Trackcar - easy 1:44s on Tremblant with a passenger and no heroics!
This looks like the best solution of all. Anything needed to make 19" fit? What exact wheel and tires sizes please? How much camber? Did the Porsche setup or are you much lower (same rake?)due to 19"?
I'm sure you posted before but as more and more RS's head to the track I'm sure this will be the formula to work the setup around.. for now enjoying the no fuss, drive to the track, drive to work setup on 21".

1:44 sounds about right if there were no track changes since the summer of 2010 (Damn I need to get my *** back the). Looked back and it was 1:48/9 in 3.8 RS. 2 seconds R7 over Toyo RA1 and the rest is PDK RWS 200cc and down force.. And I guess there are a couple seconds there if you do try hard..

Why would I want to run a stock alignment?

You might be right and maybe even less camber than the standard GT3. My GT3 wanted more camber in the rear than the front (-3F/-3.2R). I would have went square if I had a caster solution. A little understeery in the faster sections for me. The front sway was at the medium setting and rear at full stiff. Next time I'll likely go full soft in the front. A pleasant surprise was the Dunlops even wear at the alignment above.
The 991 RS is very good and very fast out of the box. You can make tires maybe last a bit longer but not sure you can make it go much faster. That good.

Others have said that they will try front bar full stiff as well. It could work!
It may be the Dunlops, my rear Dunlops wear was great but I killed the front with less gripnfront then MPSC2, maybe that's why you want soft front, while others want to go stiffer.
I need to try..

For $15K ish, I think there is a 2:12 at Sebring with just R7 on 19", headers, side muffler delete and stiffer springs VS my 2:16 now.

Maybe one of these days I dust off the old trailer...
Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

So Peter, you have 2.5 camber up front with zero toe and you have no issues with the front liner? How about the caster?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Right.

No caster change beyond oem.
I think it's not adjustable?

I got new fender liners in Germany before we raised the car and did that other stuff.
Never touched the fender liners again.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Were tie/toe rods needed like they are on the GT4 to get more camber on the RS? Are shims needed to get the -2.5 to -3 of camber that I'm looking to get?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Just shims. But you really don't need -3.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I am using Forgeline 19s all around with Continental R7. No rubbing issue and yes I had added negative camber. What a treat on the track! For Trackcar - easy 1:44s on Tremblant with a passenger and no heroics!
Fixed it for you....

http://autoweek.com/article/racing/c...er-racing-tire

Quick Reply: Setup numbers RS