Suspension question for Track-Rats

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 01:28 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suspension question for Track-Rats

Hey guys.......2 questions.

1. Has anyone LOWERED their GT3 to get better handling characteristics?

2. Besides alignment, what suspension ADJUSTMENTS have you made to the factory components (not changing to aftermarket)

And yes...I've been reading OrthoJoes track build.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The car is already pretty damn low. I treat the coilovers as a part that allows you to get a proper corner balance, not to lower the car. My car was already balanced from the factory with a 160# ballast in the driver seat, though.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:41 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The car is already pretty damn low. I treat the coilovers as a part that allows you to get a proper corner balance, not to lower the car. My car was already balanced from the factory with a 160# ballast in the driver seat, though.
Understood.

When you say balanced, you mean front to back weight distribution?

Or weight per corner?

Sorry for the newbie questions.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes, corner balance, which involved cross-weight balance.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:55 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My Friend's GT3 has been lowered, corner balanced, and has mono-ball replacement for all rubber. Also, 19 inch wheels that fit PCCBs for competition tires .
Old 01-10-2016, 02:49 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've lowered my GT3 a bit and added some rake to account for the Crawford wing. I remember seeing a post somewhere that the Porsche Motorsport recommendation was 10mm, but I didn't go quite that far. My understanding is that generally, lower is better, as long as you aren't bottoming out or having any suspension components rub.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I've lowered my GT3 a bit and added some rake to account for the Crawford wing. I remember seeing a post somewhere that the Porsche Motorsport recommendation was 10mm, but I didn't go quite that far. My understanding is that generally, lower is better, as long as you aren't bottoming out or having any suspension components rub.
Yes by adding Rake you effectively speed the underbody air up as it exits creating lower pressure underneath the car. Of course without a real diffuser to channel the air it only really works in a straight line and then air bleeds out the sides. By increasing Rake you also increase the relative attack angle/ profile of the wing, and lift it into increasingly cleaner air. This also allows the wing to pull down harder on the rear of the car- with the nose down it keeps the car balanced better from a high-speed aero perspective. Otherwise it would have too much rear and no front downforce which could lead to under steer on turn in (no pressure on front wheels to help turn)

Make sure you get your car corner balanced by a good shop because if you just start slapping on wings without adjusting spring rate the car will simply become more temperamental.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:14 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Yes by adding Rake you effectively speed the underbody air up as it exits creating lower pressure underneath the car. Of course without a real diffuser to channel the air it only really works in a straight line and then air bleeds out the sides. By increasing Rake you also increase the relative attack angle/ profile of the wing, and lift it into increasingly cleaner air. This also allows the wing to pull down harder on the rear of the car- with the nose down it keeps the car balanced better from a high-speed aero perspective. Otherwise it would have too much rear and no front downforce which could lead to under steer on turn in (no pressure on front wheels to help turn)

Make sure you get your car corner balanced by a good shop because if you just start slapping on wings without adjusting spring rate the car will simply become more temperamental.
OT but what is your impression of the Boxter Spyder?

Pros Cons?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:42 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fxz
OT but what is your impression of the Boxter Spyder?

Pros Cons?
boxster spyder is a FANTASTIC car for 100k. between that or GT4 it just depends on what else you have in your garage. I'd love to have both- GT4 for canyons and track days and Spyder for commuting, sunny days, etc.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:58 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
boxster spyder is a FANTASTIC car for 100k. between that or GT4 it just depends on what else you have in your garage. I'd love to have both- GT4 for canyons and track days and Spyder for commuting, sunny days, etc.
Thinking to buy one and mod the gearbox
less max speed but shorter and closer gears ratios
Old 01-15-2016, 09:21 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fxz
Thinking to buy one and mod the gearbox
less max speed but shorter and closer gears ratios
I think if you just change the final drive R+P you could achieve the same effect. I have no idea what the car is geared for on the top end but a lot of guys have thrown shorter cup car R+P into their 997.1 and 997.2 GT3 cars to similar effect.

FWIW, when the 997GT3 came out a lot of guys complained that the car was geared too tall, so they started changing stuff right away. I never had that problem so I have always kept them stock. If you drive them like a cup car and keep the revs above 6K the whole time you will be very busy shifting between 2nd and 3rd.

Quick Reply: Suspension question for Track-Rats