Sponsored by:

Drove a GT4 today- pretty cool

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:54 PM
KMKCMT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Thats awesome I'm going to use that on my wife when I tell her I ordered one "but honey its so you can drive with me and not be intimidated!"

I still have no idea whats going to happen when I tell her...

Jeff
Just have her call me! That third car to the left of the GT4 is "her" 1989 Speedster...So I've "Done" this twice so far with ample success!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:13 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I wish Porsche would just stick a manual in the GT3 again. It would solve most of our problems.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
My take - I can kind of see why some justify RS compared to the GT3, but doesn't necessarily mean the same justifications apply to the GT3 vs GT4. The RS is the same formula as GT3 taken to a nth degree, in other words, GT3 is a RS lite. If you want the ultimate in that experience, RS is the car to have (not withstanding if you can actually feel the difference or not). But on the other hand, GT4 is completely different experience to GT3 (or RS). It is not GT3 lite, thanks to the manual (and mid engine).

ps. Nice, review Jimmy, like you, I am mostly a street/back road kind of guy. And the GT4 is a hoot on mountain roads - it feels like it is almost made for that purpose. You will enjoy it.
Well, I won't criticize your take...it is yours after all, not mine but I will disagree.

Relative to the RS, the GT3 compares extremely well as a value and performance proposition and appeals to some of us for whom the RS is a bit over the top in several ways. With respect to the GT4 (and I guess I'll surprise Nick with this) having driven one on track and having also owned a Boxster S, the advantages of the mid engine layout versus a 911 are overstated when it comes down to actual driving enjoyment. And with the exception of the gearbox issue, which I understand is a make or break issue for some, the GT3 is objectively ahead of the GT4 when it comes to outright performance. I think it's reasonable to compare the RS/GT3 and GT3/GT4 in similar ways. Whether you reach the same conclusions as I do, is a different matter.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:43 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

The moving around under braking thing may also be influenced by alignment / tie settings.

Have a GT4, but would expect the GT3 to offer more performance for the price differential.

Either way GT cars are massive bargains at MSRP.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I am not saying I prefer the GT4 over the GT3 overall,except of course the manual transmission,which is a big issue for me. Perhaps my posts seem biased,but I am not intoxicated with Kool-Aid just yet,I remain a hard calculated bastard. I was merely presenting differences that I have noticed in my humble and limited experience. I have not talked down the GT3 one bit,the only observations I've had were that it moves a bit under heavy braking and the driving dynamics are different. Again different not worse or better. But there's no question in my mind that the GT4 is more enjoyable than the GT3 on the street,no question.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:09 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think it's reasonable to compare the RS/GT3 and GT3/GT4 in similar ways. Whether you reach the same conclusions as I do, is a different matter.
Yes, we will have to agree to disagree on this. . Currently owning both 997.2 GT3 and GT4 and driving them back to back, even despite both being manual, they both drive very different... different enough that I have decided to keep both. Where as, I could probably never justify keeping both a 7.2 GT3 and a 7.2 RS... since they essentially drive the same with things just turned to a 11 in the RS.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Yes, we will have to agree to disagree on this. . Currently owning both 997.2 GT3 and GT4 and driving them back to back, even despite both being manual, they both drive very different... different enough that I have decided to keep both. Where as, I could probably never justify keeping both a 7.2 GT3 and a 7.2 RS... since they essentially drive the same with things just turned to a 11 in the RS.
You're a lucky man....
Old 12-21-2015, 08:39 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Give the GT4 40-50 more HP and there will be a few upset GT3 owners at the track IMO.
^^This.
Jimmy will be on the mission and will show us how to get there.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

I hope nobody interpreted my thread to suggest I thought the GT4 was better than the GT3. Neither car is better on the streets. On the track we know the outcome. The GT3 is a beast and has mind blowing speed and acceleration with the roar of thunder coming from the exhaust. The GT4 is that small little rocket, with a Manual, that has this go-cart like feeling and the steering helps with this sensation. I am not some one that has learned to master the nuances of the rear wheel drive (911) and I am sure with practice and lessons one could learn that it is equal in handling compared to the GT4. But when one does not have this experience and you jump in the GT4 you notice right away that this car is a canyon carver and you do not necessarily need to learn how She will behave - for less experienced drivers I think the mid-engine platform is more confidence inspiring. Remember - I am not a track guy nor a Jedi Knight of Porsche driving that is why I prefaced my experience.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Drove a GT4 a couple of times for over 75 miles. Not pooing on any ones parade. I thought the car was pretty meh. It didn't appeal to me like my 997.2 GT3 or my 991GT3. It handles great, shifter is great, but engine/gearing frankly seemed slower than a Cayman GTS owner i had for a week. There really isn't anything special about the car besides the manual if you own a 997 or 991 GT3. Both of these cars had an engine that gives the car so much character. Now, i understand the price proposition is pretty strong for a 90k GT4 but it really is very lacking in the powertrain which really detracts from the soul of the car IMHO.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The GT4 is that small little rocket, with a Manual, that has this go-cart like feeling and the steering helps with this sensation.
With the aim of adding to any confusion or indecision you still have (), I'll note that the Cayman R has considerably more of the go-kart feeling than the GT4, in my and my wife's opinion. The Cayman R feels smaller, lower, lighter, more agile, more mid-engine, and more lively in the steering wheel. The GT4 has a larger, more luxurious and refined feel, though it also feels (and is) more capable, and the smaller steering wheel is a win for the GT4. If you often have to drive on subpar roads, the Cayman R may beat you up too much, but otherwise the Cayman R is a real contender to the GT4 as a fun driver's road car.

I quickly bonded with the GT4, but my wife - who has done lots of track days and may start instructing next year - hasn't yet bonded to it the way she has with the Cayman R.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:18 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Drove a GT4 a couple of times for over 75 miles. Not pooing on any ones parade. I thought the car was pretty meh. It didn't appeal to me like my 997.2 GT3 or my 991GT3. It handles great, shifter is great, but engine/gearing frankly seemed slower than a Cayman GTS owner i had for a week. There really isn't anything special about the car besides the manual if you own a 997 or 991 GT3. Both of these cars had an engine that gives the car so much character. Now, i understand the price proposition is pretty strong for a 90k GT4 but it really is very lacking in the powertrain which really detracts from the soul of the car IMHO.
How could it possibly be slower than your GTS? It weighs less, has a larger motor and shares the same gearbox as a GTS?

Now if your CGTS is PDK thats a different story.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
How could it possibly be slower than your GTS? It weighs less, has a larger motor and shares the same gearbox as a GTS? Now if your CGTS is PDK thats a different story.
It is,it's the Internet.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
It handles great, shifter is great, but engine/gearing frankly seemed slower than a Cayman GTS owner i had for a week.

Now, i understand the price proposition is pretty strong for a 90k GT4 but it really is very lacking in the powertrain which really detracts from the soul of the car IMHO.
Have to agree that the engine torque/power curve is the weak link of the GT4. Despite having more power and torque than say the Cayman R, it lacks a certain zinginess, and the gearing may be a factor in that. For me, it certainly doesn't undermine the car, but I think it was reasonable to expect more from a Cayman GT car with a 3.8L engine borrowed from Carrera S. Because of the warranty, we're not going to attempt modding the engine, but I can understand why people would be tempted.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

I Guess EVO thought the car was pretty darn good to give it Driver's car of the year for 2015

Quick Reply: Drove a GT4 today- pretty cool