Sponsored by:

Launch Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:21 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T Bone
Dude, you are missing my point. I didn't get the GT3 as a drag car.... I just want more data and know the best way to launch the car, backed up by data.
I think this is a worthwhile endeavor. Why wouldn't one want to know all performance parameters?

I don't drag my car either, but how many of you who aren't interested in this would have bought your GT3 if it had 200hp?
Old 12-09-2015, 01:24 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by armbar
I think this is a worthwhile endeavor. Why wouldn't one want to know all performance parameters?

I don't drag my car either, but how many of you who aren't interested in this would have bought your GT3 if it had 200hp?
For the most part, we already know, don't we? Porsche always releases numbers, then the press get to test the cars and publish their findings.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:41 PM
loungedog
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
I did this just for a reference point last winter.
TTS with Stage2 GIAC.
Launch control works well with 4wd!
Holy smokes that's fast...
Old 12-10-2015, 03:29 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 GT3
If u are serious, car and tires warmed up.
Press brake down, floor it when launch control pops up on readout let go brake and enjoy
There is no other sequence of buttons to press besides keeping your foot on the brake.. WOT- Light comes up- 100% snap brake lift-off and you are gone? clicking up shifts or are you letting the cpu do it? I always like to look in the glove box for this book called a "owners manual" I know many are unfamiliar with such a book. However, is this "launch control' info in this "owners manual book" I've heard ppl speak of..
Old 12-10-2015, 03:41 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by German_Saint
There is no other sequence of buttons to press besides keeping your foot on the brake.. WOT- Light comes up- 100% snap brake lift-off and you are gone? clicking up shifts or are you letting the cpu do it? I always like to look in the glove box for this book called a "owners manual" I know many are unfamiliar with such a book. However, is this "launch control' info in this "owners manual book" I've heard ppl speak of..
That's correct. No extra buttons to push. Push brake in, floor it, launch control lights up on dash, then lift off brake and go. It can be done in any mode- auto, pdk sport auto, manual, or pdk sport manual. I think the best mode to do it is in pdk sport auto, but I'm no expert since I've only done it twice!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
In the off chance you're asking a serious question , here is the excerpt on launch control from the owners manual.

As a point of interest I read a C&D 2014 GT3 road test where they said that launch control was .3 seconds faster than an unaided foot-to-the floor paddle neutral start, and that shifting the paddles manually yielded another .1 second advantage over letting the cpu do the work. Shifts come up so quickly in the lowest gears, though, that most people would probably be better off letting the computer time the shifts.

Moving off with Launch Control
Launch Control allows you to achieve maximum
acceleration from standstill.
Launch Control is designed to be used in a
controlled environment on closed circuit driving
courses where no vehicle cross traffic or
pedestrian traffic is present. Use Launch Control only if conditions permit it
to be applied in a safe manner. Do not use Launch Control if there is a
possibility it could endanger other persons.
Such a possibility exists if you cannot see that
you have a clear road with no possibility of
cross traffic in your intended direction of
driving.
Information
Stress on components increases dramatically
when starting with maximum acceleration in
comparison with normal driving off.
Preconditions:
– Launch Control should only be used when the
engine has reached operating temperature.
1. Press the brake with your left foot.
2. Quickly press down the accelerator fully and
hold it down.
The engine speed will level off at around
6,500 rpm.
“Launch Control activated” is displayed on
the on-board computer.
3. Release the brake within a few seconds.
Remaining stationary for a long time with LAUNCH
CONTROL can lead to overloading of the
transmission.
To protect the transmission, the engine power is
then reduced and the LAUNCH CONTROL process
is canceled.
In order to drive off, the accelerator must
first be fully released.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-10-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:31 PM
991kh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a quick warm up and the right tire pressure you can get off the line by LC with no wheel spin.

best run was 11.2
Old 12-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by 452gt3
I love having a car that is fast fun and competitive in any venue I choose.
Well said. The 991 GT3 is insanely fast. I thought my 997.2 Turbo was fast but this would of beat it good. Last night I was on the highway with a GTR and we had a little fun in a safe( no one around) way. Trust me, he was not faster than me. Actually he was a little surprised and nodded his respect to my Baby. This is a special car. Now I have a GT4 on the way and one must go. I was thinking of storing one in town and using both but if my Wife caught me she would act as if I was climbing our her girlfriends window. And it is not a money thing. She has made it clear it has to be one. We are headed to the Carribbean next month where we go a few times a year and I am hoping a nice new watch will win her over
Old 12-10-2015, 10:48 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

haha, good luck Jimmy! I hope you get to keep both, that would be a great scenario!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:05 AM
mmblz
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCturbo
That's correct. No extra buttons to push. Push brake in, floor it, launch control lights up on dash, then lift off brake and go. It can be done in any mode- auto, pdk sport auto, manual, or pdk sport manual. I think the best mode to do it is in pdk sport auto, but I'm no expert since I've only done it twice!
2016 turbo s manual says you must be in sport plus. Interesting it's different for gt3
Old 12-11-2015, 03:08 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmblz
2016 turbo s manual says you must be in sport plus. Interesting it's different for gt3
Yup, it's one of the "special functions" of the GT3's distinctive version of PDK...
Old 01-17-2016, 05:52 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Purchased my car used from Porsche of North Houston and it was delivered without any books - dealer is getting them from the original owner and will ship them to me - in the mean time I am trying to figure things out on my own.

So to do launch control if I'm reading the previous posts correctly, you don't need to put it in PDK Sport or turn any TC off?

I'll be doing an autocross next weekend and depending on how the start of the course is laid out LC might come in handy. I would want it to be in PDK Sport though for the rest of the course..
Old 01-17-2016, 05:59 PM
T Bone
Advanced

Originally Posted by SamG
Purchased my car used from Porsche of North Houston and it was delivered without any books - dealer is getting them from the original owner and will ship them to me - in the mean time I am trying to figure things out on my own.

So to do launch control if I'm reading the previous posts correctly, you don't need to put it in PDK Sport or turn any TC off?

I'll be doing an autocross next weekend and depending on how the start of the course is laid out LC might come in handy. I would want it to be in PDK Sport though for the rest of the course..
Very simple in the GT3. Left foot on brake. Right foot stomp on the throttle and let RPMs build.

Release brake and unleash hell

You will see a message on the right panel that says that you are in launch control.

I would recommend that you leave in automatic shifting. You will almost certainly miss your 1-2 shift point because how quickly this thing revs
Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 767 Posts

I never noticed the message but I only tried LC once..
So maybe I didn't do LC after all!

Must try again :-)
Old 01-17-2016, 07:17 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T Bone
Very simple in the GT3. Left foot on brake. Right foot stomp on the throttle and let RPMs build.

Release brake and unleash hell

You will see a message on the right panel that says that you are in launch control.

I would recommend that you leave in automatic shifting. You will almost certainly miss your 1-2 shift point because how quickly this thing revs
That is correct. I agree with using auto with LC. Pdk sport is probably the best mode to use. The key to LC is to be very deliberate. Press the brake hard, then quickly stomp on the gas pedal, otherwise it won't activate (LC will not light up in dash)

Quick Reply: Launch Control