Sponsored by:

991 GT3 vs RS acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I think the best deal at the moment is buying an RS and flipping it for $100k profit and buying a free GT4...or paying $40k for a low option GT3. Deal of the Century is the 4.0 at the moment...

That aside, on any track based metric the GT4 is the one to get of the three choices.

They all suffer from the same uncertain fate which seems to be a non-factory campaigned power unit. They're all red-headed stepchildren of the GT/RS history at the moment. Hopefully this changed and we get some real development/improvement but until then they might all be the worst GT purchases in 3 years time...
Very good points all of them!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KarimGT3, anytime u like...
Old 11-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

silly comparison - needs to be same day, same surface, same settings and equal drivers.

As for best deals and track cars, as a surprising number in this subforum seem to think, IMO it's not a Porsche, it's the ACR Extreme Aero. Takes the RS wing and fender vents to a cartoonish new level and seems to deliver on lap times. Of course it is track focused and brutish, but if track is the main reason for having the car, IMO the ACR is worth the premium over the GT4, and an enormous bargain over the RS and almost certainly faster than all 3.

But it is a yucky old Dodge with truck engine that looks like clown shoe and sounds like crap (I am sure I missed some pejoratives).
Old 11-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Brindle101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
http://youtu.be/xqtOfD-67iE

Small analysis of the video:

The big gap is taken by the GT3 in the first second, and it leads by ~14km/h..

Still in first gear, gap gets bigger to ~20km/h

By the end of 3rd gear, the gap is closing.. Down to ~12km/h

Gap: ~~9km/h

By the end of 5th, gap stays the same, all the way till the end of the video..

My unprofessional view on this:

When launching the RS @6500rpm, the extra torque in that range is causing the wheels to spin excessively. I recall reading somewhere in the forums that the RS gave better acceleration figures when launched at lower rpm, but can't recall where..

At higher speeds, despite having more downforce, the extra 25-30hp is somehow capable of closing the gap between 120-200km/h, and then maintaining it till top speed where the GT3 will eventually lead after 250km/h where downforce becomes way more considerable.

It would be interesting to see a rolling race, hopefully i'll try with Shahano when i take delivery soon!

Listen, i have both the 991 GT3 and the RS. There is no doubt the RS is faster! There is much more torque, and even though the absolute hp and torque increase at peak may not seem that high it is a much broader power curve, meaning the total area under the curve is larger for both hp and torque in RS. Also, the RS has a lighter fly wheel so it revs even faster to the sweet spot of the power band, and dont forget it shifts a little faster too. I dont know what to make of this video, but trust me, the same engine stroked and raced optimzed makes for a faster car, despite aero drag.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:46 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Curve is broader on paper, a marketing fluff

In reality the max rpm is cut 8750 1st gear
8600 2nd gear
8475 3rd gear

the few ms of gear shifting do not compensate
the above

the shorter gears final ratio to compensate
larger tyres neither

the aero drag doesn t help as well

so the video are consistent
with some (few) car magazine comparisons
and with Pag asking Motortrend not to take measurements
when invited to the official track launch

8800maxRPM is just not true that s it
Old 11-21-2015, 09:58 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

The best deal is for anyone to scratch the itch they have, whatever that might be. We only live once and for a short run at that. As someone said above, any one of us should be thankful to experience what most people only get to read in publications...

We''ve all earned it. Well, most of us anyway...

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs RS acceleration