Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Drifting
This!
I think the GT4 is the deal of the century but I will say that most of us run the track at a level that varies so much that the better driver will likely be faster GT3 or RS, maybe even in a GT4..

Nobody is buying the RS for the few seconds a lap I think..
Old 11-18-2015, 05:56 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

This!
Originally Posted by the-missile
50K extra for less
9000rpms, speed and class...
well, predictable, GT3 is the bargain of the century
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think the GT4 is the deal of the century but I will say that most of us run the track at a level that varies so much that the better driver will likely be faster GT3 or RS, maybe even in a GT4..

Over MSRP...
OT Why not a GT4 with x51 and another gearbox ratio(short gears) ? a 20k well spent
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

For some people the aggressive styling of the RS is enough to justify the premium (not the market adjustment) over the GT3.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Dunno. The GT3 has the bespoke engine, proper low gear ratios, much better rear suspension, 9000 rpm, storied heritage, and enough power to pass a lot of cars that the GT4 won't manage to pass. That's what makes it the deal of the century. I think its great that Porsche finally gave the Cayman some more power, but it's just a parts bin special.

Agree that the driver is still most important and a crap RS driver will get passed by an expert GT4 driver

Originally Posted by Dr. G
For some people the aggressive styling of the RS is enough to justify the premium (not the market adjustment) over the GT3.
I agree with your statement, but for me and other GT3 buyers it works in the opposite way. I think the RS looks so over the top that it looks out of place anywhere BUT a racetrack, whereas the GT3 looks equally at home at the racetrack or going a weekend trip, to the theater, dinner, club etc.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-18-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Canspeed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure why the premium for an RS over a regular GT3 is such a big deal, they are both expensive and the comparison can be made to the gt3 for less expensive cars, the GT3 is awesome car no doubt, the RS is different and was made to be a more focused track car, why else would they make it ? Premiums over MSRP should not be a factor, every RS in my area was sold at MSRP ! The RS is a special car to drive even if its slower than GT3, which I doubt.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with your statement, but for me and other GT3 buyers it works in the opposite way. I think the RS looks so over the top that it looks out of place anywhere BUT a racetrack, whereas the GT3 looks equally at home at the racetrack or going a weekend trip, to the theater, dinner, club etc.
+1

Last edited by Mike in CA; 11-18-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:25 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see where it is not track focused as well...
sorry RS boys, my heart beats @ 9000rpm
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Guys come on. We are acting like children. We all should feel privileged to at least own any one of these (3) models.

Lets finally put this to rest. It is a toss up whether the GT4/GT3 is the best deal in the house. Now, I will tell you that the GT3 will be the fastest of all 3 in a straight line. But, who really gives a crap.
You do not buy the GT3 RS because you think it can beat the GT3 in a straight line. You buy it to have the ultimate track toy that also looks the part.

But - considering what these RS are going for and how little they depreciate - it looks like the RS, if you did not over pay, will be the deal of a century.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I guess then we can agree that all 3 are the 3 deals of the century?
Not sure about the GT3 though because I haven't bought one yet.
But when I do, it will be awesome ;-)
Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Guys come on. We are acting like children. We all should feel privileged to at least own any one of these (3) models. Lets finally put this to rest. It is a toss up whether the GT4/GT3 is the best deal in the house. Now, I will tell you that the GT3 will be the fastest of all 3 in a straight line. But, who really gives a crap. You do not buy the GT3 RS because you think it can beat the GT3 in a straight line. You buy it to have the ultimate track toy that also looks the part. But - considering what these RS are going for and how little they depreciate - it looks like the RS, if you did not over pay, will be the deal of a century.
If I want to drive in a straight line, my APR tuned RS7 will leave almost everything behind and carry four people and a ton of luggage in the process...

...which means nothing.

The RS7 will end up in a ditch on a really curvy road. With the GT3/RS, I'll probably be vomiting in said ditch before the car gives out.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ lol, were on a roll with the funnies. Thank you
Old 11-18-2015, 08:42 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

But these cars are weren't designed for straight-line stand-still acceleration. I believe the RS will be faster at what it was designed for, the track.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:10 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the best deal at the moment is buying an RS and flipping it for $100k profit and buying a free GT4...or paying $40k for a low option GT3. Deal of the Century is the 4.0 at the moment...

That aside, on any track based metric the GT4 is the one to get of the three choices.

They all suffer from the same uncertain fate which seems to be a non-factory campaigned power unit. They're all red-headed stepchildren of the GT/RS history at the moment. Hopefully this changed and we get some real development/improvement but until then they might all be the worst GT purchases in 3 years time...
Old 11-18-2015, 09:30 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Geez...more "which one is better" talk? The comparison that is presented by OP with photos and provided data is crap and has no merit imo, the 325 rear tires should be able to handle the additional torque of 4l and get it to ground fine at start so there is more at play with the included comparison. Maybe the GT3 is a bit quicker (or not) but it might be close or RS might win who knows.....neither is the fastest straight line car out there anyways and many faster cars exist so if thats what you car about go get whatever if you like drag races. Maybe when Peter gets his car back from boat we'll compare runs of our cars down the back straight at PBIR and get you a no ****ter comparison?? I suspect that his RS will be either right next to me or slightly ahead (and then forget about it when we hit the turns, I'll be hoping he doesn't lap me!!!) in a real world side by side but for clarification I personally could care less which one is faster it's not going to change my opinion of either.

If you like the RS get one, like the GT3 get one, love the GT4 buy away. Its all subjective so love the one your with.....of course if you don't then get the one you love! My personal 2 cents is the RS is a lot of tech for 50k, I know guys that spend almost that on a mezger 3.8l bumped out to 4l for track duty and don't get a mag roof, and all the go fast goodies the RS has!?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

^^ lol, were on a roll with the funnies. Thank you
I've actually made myself vomit driving the roads near Bear Mountain. My cars have far more fortitude than I I guess I'll never be an astronaut or air force pilot.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs RS acceleration