Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:34 PM
NJRickD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
I live in Moorestown.......the 993 comes out on some nice sunny days to visit the Saturday morning cars and coffee run by High Octane SJ at the Starbucks on 73 and Fellowship Rd in Mt Laurel.
funny, I was there 2 weeks ago when it was 70 degrees. It was my 1st one, met up with a co-worker who has a 650s. We probably know some of the same people. I'm in Cherry Hill, office is in Mt. Laurel.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Interesting to consider the ways a very small percentage of the population manages to accrue big dollars. Hard work after school, choice of field to go into, business ownership, exec positions in large companies, making money on money, luck, etc. High 'intelligence' helps, but is neither a sufficient nor even necessary condition. Some of my friends and family have 10x to 100x my net worth, so maybe I'm poor? But I figure that anyone able to comfortably afford any newish Porsche isn't doing too bad compared to the masses and will count myself lucky as the new year approaches if we all stay healthy ...
There is the 1% and then there is the .01%. BIG diference!do not confuse the two species.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting to consider the ways a very small percentage of the population manages to accrue big dollars. Hard work after school, choice of field to go into, business ownership, exec positions in large companies, making money on money, luck, etc. High 'intelligence' helps, but is neither a sufficient nor even necessary condition. Some of my friends and family have 10x to 100x my net worth, so maybe I'm poor? But I figure that anyone able to comfortably afford any newish Porsche isn't doing too bad compared to the masses and will count myself lucky as the new year approaches if we all stay healthy ...
Healthy attitude, for sure.

Every time the "stay in school" thing comes up, invariably someone comes out of the woodwork with the story of how they never went to school and went on to be wildly successful. To be clear -- I'm super happy for those people! Good for them. At the same time, I treat that advice about the same way I treat the story of the cigarette smoker who lived to 95: that's a great story, but the odds of someone else being successful following the same strategy are worse than average. To any people of college age (or below) reading this, you want the deck stacked for you, not against you. Get an education.

Putting this back on topic: Listas delivered. Countertop next.

Name:  RGXNdD1h.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  139.5 KB
The following users liked this post:
ron4sc (04-08-2023)
Old 12-28-2015, 09:43 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

^ very nice
Old 12-28-2015, 09:50 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shivatron
Healthy attitude, for sure.

Every time the "stay in school" thing comes up, invariably someone comes out of the woodwork with the story of how they never went to school and went on to be wildly successful. To be clear -- I'm super happy for those people! Good for them. At the same time, I treat that advice about the same way I treat the story of the cigarette smoker who lived to 95: that's a great story, but the odds of someone else being successful following the same strategy are worse than average. To any people of college age (or below) reading this, you want the deck stacked for you, not against you. Get an education.

Putting this back on topic: Listas delivered. Countertop next.

Your floor is truly a thing of beauty, I can never get enough of it!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
That is a beautiful garage..
Old 12-28-2015, 10:06 PM
diverzeusy
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

My Garage

I cannot wait to move to a bigger house(garage)

Old 12-28-2015, 10:10 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

^ how do you get in? Either way garage looks perfect to me
Old 12-28-2015, 10:16 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 16'991GT3
Your floor is truly a thing of beauty, I can never get enough of it!
Good choice on going with wood walls instead of gyp board. Love the shop stand and new Silca. Do you do the Thursday races at DA?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,363 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
There is the 1% and then there is the .01%. BIG diference!do not confuse the two species.
No doubt! In absolute dollars, much bigger difference between the bottom and top of the top 1% than between the bottom and top of the other 99%. Being at the 99th percentile will get you a nice Porsche. Being at the 99.9th percentile will get you, what, a Veyron? I wouldn't know ...
Old 12-28-2015, 10:50 PM
diverzeusy
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
^ how do you get in? Either way garage looks perfect to me
I should really rip out the drivers seat, get one of those carbon gts captains seats that swivel like in a SUV bus thing.
As it is i sort of wriggle and swivel round to get both legs out. then drag myself to my feet using a handle screwed to the wall for this purpose all with the door only 12 inches open.
supose i could use the sunroof
Old 12-28-2015, 10:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,363 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Shivatron
Agreed. Value of an education depends on the specifics of the education and what someone does with it, but generally good to have more education rather than less. Of course, we can do self-directed education throughout our lives, but for many fields having a degree is a prerequisite.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:21 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
Good for you. I used to teach at a uni, and spent a long time studying in them. I quite wish I had more money - and am working on it - but I don't regret the time in academia much less the friends made there and the knowledge gained, no matter how trivial. My point in responding is that you are the sort of person the most astute profs really want in their classes. People who are there for the love of it make for better students and more enjoyable classes than those who are there because "that's what I am supposed to do after high school". Mature students are the best, and they add an incredible depth to the classes and tutorials in which they take part. They also tend to be amongst the most creative and do a great job designing things like cool garages: they build things.

So, again, good for you. I hope you are getting as much out if it as you hoped.
Good to hear this from a former professor, definitely see where you're coming from on the maturity aspect.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:50 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I i'm also in my mid 30s and I could never come up with something so profound and insightful to say. money wasn't so easy for me I've been working hard my entire life that and a lot of luck got me where I am today but I never had your perspective thank you for sharing
I've got to thank you for you funny posts. A pleasure reading your perspectives as well.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:34 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

No doubt! In absolute dollars, much bigger difference between the bottom and top of the top 1% than between the bottom and top of the other 99%. Being at the 99th percentile will get you a nice Porsche. Being at the 99.9th percentile will get you, what, a Veyron? I wouldn't know ...
I like Steve Job's perspective... Once you've got enough money to ensure comfortable living, you should start to diversify interests and focus on things that matter most, a la Maslow.

In the end, he seemed to think he focused too much on work and not enough on people. Sound advice from a smart man.

What you need to be comfortable is, of course, relative. But few people would include a Veyron on that list...

Quick Reply: picture of your garage