991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
You guy's are making me wish I studied harder in school....
Interesting to consider the ways a very small percentage of the population manages to accrue big dollars. Hard work after school, choice of field to go into, business ownership, exec positions in large companies, making money on money, luck, etc. High 'intelligence' helps, but is neither a sufficient nor even necessary condition. Some of my friends and family have 10x to 100x my net worth, so maybe I'm poor? But I figure that anyone able to comfortably afford any newish Porsche isn't doing too bad compared to the masses and will count myself lucky as the new year approaches if we all stay healthy ...
The following users liked this post:
ash_schwin (10-18-2023)
Old 12-28-2015, 01:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Interesting to consider the ways a very small percentage of the population manages to accrue big dollars. Hard work after school, choice of field to go into, business ownership, exec positions in large companies, making money on money, luck, etc. High 'intelligence' helps, but is neither a sufficient nor even necessary condition. Some of my friends and family have 10x to 100x my net worth, so maybe I'm poor? But I figure that anyone able to comfortably afford any newish Porsche isn't doing too bad compared to the masses and will count myself lucky as the new year approaches if we all stay healthy ...
Well said.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
well put.. while everyone should strive to maximize their education, it doesn't have to come through traditional routes, and it definitely doesn't mean you'll make money, or that without it you won't.

Slightly OT: I have a friend whom I also follow on IG.. his name is Agent 7... right mindset and also a big Porsche nut... worth a gander if you're in the "I wish I had more money" mindset... his motivational posts may seem trivial.. but there is so much actionable truth behind them.

https://www.instagram.com/agentsteven/?hl=en

ok, back on topic.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
You guy's are making me wish I studied harder in school....
Why? I dropped out of college at 18 years old and became an Army Paratrooper - later became a defense contractor with no degree and raked in over a million before age 29. If I stayed in college and studied harder my life probably would of sucked lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Para82:
KeithR3 (09-16-2021), TukeeGatorGT3 (09-16-2021)
Old 12-28-2015, 02:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, i like your strategy
Is there another way?

Originally Posted by CAlexio
well put.. while everyone should strive to maximize their education, it doesn't have to come through traditional routes, and it definitely doesn't mean you'll make money, or that without it you won't.

Slightly OT: I have a friend whom I also follow on IG.. his name is Agent 7... right mindset and also a big Porsche nut... worth a gander if you're in the "I wish I had more money" mindset... his motivational posts may seem trivial.. but there is so much actionable truth behind them.

https://www.instagram.com/agentsteven/?hl=en

ok, back on topic.

Originally Posted by Para82
Why? I dropped out of college at 18 years old and became an Army Paratrooper - later became a defense contractor with no degree and raked in over a million before age 29. If I stayed in college and studied harder my life probably would of sucked lol.
Not much of a school student myself, but never jumped out of a plane out of free will ;-)
Old 12-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not much of a school student myself, but never jumped out of a plane out of free will ;-)
Haha - I don't blame you.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 764 Posts

^^ Chin Jan 2+3 with 350?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:24 PM
hlvg
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup, that works too but I still recommend young folks to study hard. The numbers/stats are more in your favour
Old 12-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ Chin Jan 2+3 with 350?
I will sign up for every track event humanly possible - but first my GT350 has to be delivered!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by hlvg
Yup, that works too but I still recommend young folks to study hard. The numbers/stats are more in your favour
Agreed. I'm actually working on that degree now at 33 while a full time professional - I don't "need" it but I still think it's important.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. I'm actually working on that degree now at 33 while a full time professional - I don't "need" it but I still think it's important.
Good for you. I used to teach at a uni, and spent a long time studying in them. I quite wish I had more money - and am working on it - but I don't regret the time in academia much less the friends made there and the knowledge gained, no matter how trivial. My point in responding is that you are the sort of person the most astute profs really want in their classes. People who are there for the love of it make for better students and more enjoyable classes than those who are there because "that's what I am supposed to do after high school". Mature students are the best, and they add an incredible depth to the classes and tutorials in which they take part. They also tend to be amongst the most creative and do a great job designing things like cool garages: they build things.

So, again, good for you. I hope you are getting as much out if it as you hoped.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:06 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread only gets more interesting. My money story is the most accidental path that could have been taken. I earned a Ph.D. in theoretical physics then was hired at a bank for my "soft" skills. Became a banker with a heavy physics and math background. Clients trust me and do business with us, a lot of business. I'm in my mid thirties and never imagined or even wanted the kind of money that now surrounds me. I never chased money, it just came to me. To each person their own pathway - in the end none of the money is 100% useful since no matter what you buy, those materials never once tell you they love you. When we close our eyes to sleep at night it's dark for all of us.
The following users liked this post:
KeithR3 (09-16-2021)
Old 12-28-2015, 07:07 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Ding ding you got it

Originally Posted by NJRickD
Sounds like Haddonfield or Morrestown? I'm in the area as well but haven't ever had the pleasure of seeing that 993 around town. I guess it really is a garage queen!
I live in Moorestown.......the 993 comes out on some nice sunny days to visit the Saturday morning cars and coffee run by High Octane SJ at the Starbucks on 73 and Fellowship Rd in Mt Laurel.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
I live in Moorestown.......the 993 comes out on some nice sunny days to visit the Saturday morning cars and coffee run by High Octane SJ at the Starbucks on 73 and Fellowship Rd in Mt Laurel.
Luv2Race,

That 993 is such a great p-car! A couple years ago I was looking to get a 964RSA right as they began to run up. (not understanding they were on a rocket up) So instead, I found an Aerokit 1 993 (The closest thing to an RSA only in a 993) and threw on a set of RS NOS wheels inspired by your blue beast. I know its not PTS like yours, but do love the narrow body w/ the tail. Congrats on the new RS!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you were able to take advantage of the extremely high salaries offered to defense contractors in the sandbox with the bottomless GWOT funding. $250k+ per year with the first ~$93k tax free and not having any financial responsibilities is a great formula to rake in the money in no time. Cheers to you!

Quick Reply: picture of your garage