Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 07:53 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 531 Posts

Just getting started on mine. Home is new construction. It will be modest compared to many in here - this separate single car garage for the track car and a separate two car for the dailies. Number 4 beloved beater gets parked outside

Here's the paint just completed - Porsche 917K scheme. That's always been my wet dream car.

Thinking SwissTrax floor or similar. Design consultant coming Monday for cabinetry, bench, etc.

This thread has been good for ideas.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ldamelio; 04-12-2024 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MovingChicane (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 08:54 AM
Rich_911T
Pro

Received 1,077 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Just getting started on mine. Home is new construction. It will be modest compared to many in here - this separate single car garage for the track car and a separate two car for the dailies. Number 4 beloved beater gets parked outside

Here's the paint just completed - Porsche 917K scheme. That's always been my wet dream car.

Thinking SwissTrax floor or similar. Design consultant coming Monday for cabinetry, bench, etc.

This thread has been good for ideas.
for cabinets I’d look into sonic , the quality is there and the best part of them for me at least is that they don’t get mounted to walls . They have a wall system that attaches to the lower bases and you mount your uppers direct onto the panel . Pricey but so worth it as you’ll never have any unnecessary drilling into walls
The following 2 users liked this post by Rich_911T:
ldamelio (04-16-2024), sdematt (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 10:52 AM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 282 Posts

I'll probably look into Sonic once we're in our forever home.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:01 AM
Rich_911T
Pro

Originally Posted by sdematt
I'll probably look into Sonic once we're in our forever home.
funny I said same exact thing until I realized these are the perfect cabinets for that very reason . Now that my lovely wife has decided this isn’t our forever home and would like to increase our mortgage significantly I’ll be requiring a big 3 car garage so I can expand on the sonic cabinets
sdematt (04-18-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 02:35 AM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks like a basement of a house with the deep hole being an elevator pit. It further looks like they are pouring the concrete floor over a waterproofing membrane. Looks very professional so far.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:52 AM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm in the design phase to build a new 4-car detached garage. due to property limitations internal dimensions will be 21' wide x 40' deep, x 12' high, then a wall and then an additional 18' deeper x 19' man cave approx 10' high. The garage will be fully insulated, heated and air conditioned. (In the Raleigh NC area)
I'm quite experienced in construction and have a few questions hopefully some could answer.

1. Flooring - I had a bad experience with the plastic tiles from Race Tech. They kept on buckling upwards when the temps got warmer. Granted the floor was both wide and deep (40' wide x 48' deep) but still, very annoying. Instead, id like to use large (probably thick) tiles, approx 18"x18" or even 24"x24". Any recommendations of specific tiles that worked out well for you? Also, any issues you had with tiles that I should know about. the concrete floor will be robust with a 6" thick slab on grade, 4,000 PSI concrete with #4 rebar 12" on center. The concrete will be installed over a waterproofing membrane (AVM Aussie Skin 550) a commercial grade waterproofing membrane, which will eliminate any moisture coming up type issues.

Cabinets - I'm looking at aluminum cabinets with the wood counter tops. (Not a fan of the stainless steel counter tops). Any recommendations there?

Lighting - any recommendations for lighting? I'd like two sets of lights (two switches) for the garage portion - one with softer lights (more yellow with a lower Kelvin rating of around 3000 - 3500) and another set with brighter lights - more like daylight lighting (around 5,000 Kelvin) which will better show any issues with the paint, scratches etc. Any advice would be highly recommended.

Electrical - I'll have lots of plugs etc. Any need for 240 volt plugs? or 20 amp Plugs? I only plan on small compressor.

Any other suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks to everyone's, inputs. I love reading everyone's comments, I learn so much.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:55 AM
Rich_911T
Pro

Originally Posted by Amir1
I'm in the design phase to build a new 4-car detached garage. due to property limitations internal dimensions will be 21' wide x 40' deep, x 12' high, then a wall and then an additional 18' deeper x 19' man cave approx 10' high. The garage will be fully insulated, heated and air conditioned. (In the Raleigh NC area)
I'm quite experienced in construction and have a few questions hopefully some could answer.

1. Flooring - I had a bad experience with the plastic tiles from Race Tech. They kept on buckling upwards when the temps got warmer. Granted the floor was both wide and deep (40' wide x 48' deep) but still, very annoying. Instead, id like to use large (probably thick) tiles, approx 18"x18" or even 24"x24". Any recommendations of specific tiles that worked out well for you? Also, any issues you had with tiles that I should know about. the concrete floor will be robust with a 6" thick slab on grade, 4,000 PSI concrete with #4 rebar 12" on center. The concrete will be installed over a waterproofing membrane (AVM Aussie Skin 550) a commercial grade waterproofing membrane, which will eliminate any moisture coming up type issues.

Cabinets - I'm looking at aluminum cabinets with the wood counter tops. (Not a fan of the stainless steel counter tops). Any recommendations there?

Lighting - any recommendations for lighting? I'd like two sets of lights (two switches) for the garage portion - one with softer lights (more yellow with a lower Kelvin rating of around 3000 - 3500) and another set with brighter lights - more like daylight lighting (around 5,000 Kelvin) which will better show any issues with the paint, scratches etc. Any advice would be highly recommended.

Electrical - I'll have lots of plugs etc. Any need for 240 volt plugs? or 20 amp Plugs? I only plan on small compressor.

Thanks to everyone's, inputs. I love reading
everyone's comments, I learn so much.
if you possibly plan on running a wall mounted pressure washer I’d have a 20amp outlet installed where that pressure washer might go
Old 04-13-2024, 08:31 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

@Amir1 Racedeck is trash. We tried it. On our third Swisstrax floor and it won’t buckle. You can install it wall to wall with no space and it is perfect. Also as mentioned above run a water and power line for a pressure washer. Game changer. We just did this one from this place.

https://gciturfacademy.com/products/...d24ae7eb&_ss=r

elwademd (04-30-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 08:34 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,691 Likes on 754 Posts

Thanks to everyone's, inputs. I love reading everyone's comments, I learn so much.
Couple of things I did, very similar build I did here in Cincy (pics below).

1.) I did stamped concrete for the floors, debated several other options (Race deck, polished, etc. etc.) - I did mine to look like wood flooring (earlier I explained that we used our own molds - now available to all) that were from a covered bridge and had 8 unique presses. I also did high tensile concrete, but also had them stain the concrete all the way through the base color. That way if there is every a chip or whatever, the base color is the same throughout the whole pour. Hugely satisfied with how it came out, and everyone that sees it cannot believe it is not real wood.

2.) I too wanted aluminum with wood top (to match the floor motif and I also have wood barn beams) - I ended up going with NewAge Pro series. I look at several 3X the price, and for my purposes, I did not see the value or need to go that high end. Been very happy with them.

3.) Lighting - I went with high end led gymnasium lighting (my height at the top of my garage is over 20' - I did 1 high-capacity (dimmable) over each car bay (4 in the front of the garage). Where the man cave / loft part which is over bay 5 and 6 - I went with led can lights (as it is 10' at that point with the loft over. The lights are super bright (over the first 6 lights over the first 4 spots, great for detailing, etc.) I like that I also did the dimming, as at full on, great for detailing, but it is as bright as the sun - so nice to be able to tone it down if wanted. I also put a BigAss Fan in the big open area (great great add) - as mine is heated and cooled as well, and with the BigAss Fan, in the summer - rarely need AC. I also put a normal cool looking fan in the section I made the loft as well. If we are playing cards or something in the summer - the AC is needed when in there, as can get a little warm up in the loft.

4.) I ran full 200amp service to the garage from our street. Have the normal 15am to the wall sockets, but also have a few 20amp plugs for the power equipment. Also have it so I can hook up 240 if I choose to have any EV charging stations on the first 2 bays. Think about outlet height. I went with 48 inches around the whole garage. Perfect for keeping the outlets high (away from the ground when washing the cars) and also perfect height for car charging, tools, etc. etc. I also did a wall mount industrial vacuum, air pump, etc. All with 50 foot reach capabilities to cover the whole garage. (mine is something like 54X30 in total.

Here are some pictures - happy to share any questions as I went through this whole thing just a few years ago...

The following 4 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
elwademd (04-30-2024), MovingChicane (04-16-2024), pdxjim (04-15-2024), Rich_911T (04-13-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 09:30 AM
Rich_911T
Pro

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Couple of things I did, very similar build I did here in Cincy (pics below).

1.) I did stamped concrete for the floors, debated several other options (Race deck, polished, etc. etc.) - I did mine to look like wood flooring (earlier I explained that we used our own molds - now available to all) that were from a covered bridge and had 8 unique presses. I also did high tensile concrete, but also had them stain the concrete all the way through the base color. That way if there is every a chip or whatever, the base color is the same throughout the whole pour. Hugely satisfied with how it came out, and everyone that sees it cannot believe it is not real wood.

2.) I too wanted aluminum with wood top (to match the floor motif and I also have wood barn beams) - I ended up going with NewAge Pro series. I look at several 3X the price, and for my purposes, I did not see the value or need to go that high end. Been very happy with them.

3.) Lighting - I went with high end led gymnasium lighting (my height at the top of my garage is over 20' - I did 1 high-capacity (dimmable) over each car bay (4 in the front of the garage). Where the man cave / loft part which is over bay 5 and 6 - I went with led can lights (as it is 10' at that point with the loft over. The lights are super bright (over the first 6 lights over the first 4 spots, great for detailing, etc.) I like that I also did the dimming, as at full on, great for detailing, but it is as bright as the sun - so nice to be able to tone it down if wanted. I also put a BigAss Fan in the big open area (great great add) - as mine is heated and cooled as well, and with the BigAss Fan, in the summer - rarely need AC. I also put a normal cool looking fan in the section I made the loft as well. If we are playing cards or something in the summer - the AC is needed when in there, as can get a little warm up in the loft.

4.) I ran full 200amp service to the garage from our street. Have the normal 15am to the wall sockets, but also have a few 20amp plugs for the power equipment. Also have it so I can hook up 240 if I choose to have any EV charging stations on the first 2 bays. Think about outlet height. I went with 48 inches around the whole garage. Perfect for keeping the outlets high (away from the ground when washing the cars) and also perfect height for car charging, tools, etc. etc. I also did a wall mount industrial vacuum, air pump, etc. All with 50 foot reach capabilities to cover the whole garage. (mine is something like 54X30 in total.

Here are some pictures - happy to share any questions as I went through this whole thing just a few years ago...

now that’s a garage
The following 3 users liked this post by Rich_911T:
8250RPM (04-13-2024), bonehead (04-13-2024), sdematt (04-18-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 01:33 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

1) I never understood the appeal of plastic tiles, Swisstrax, RaceDeck or otherwise. I have a stained and polished concrete floor. Would not recommend. Looks great when clean which isn't very often. And it's still concrete which means that it's still porous and stains with any automotive fluids and even dirty/hard water. If budget allows, the best, most durable, and IMO most attractive option is porcelain (NOT ceramic) tile. Must be of adequate grade hardness and slip resistance for a garage, but there is no better flooring, period.

2) Go high bay LED lighting. I have several units from this company. I contacted their local rep, gave them dimensions and told them I wanted the space to be 'as bright as an operating room'. www.linmoreled.com

3) Lots of high end cabinet options. New Age makes some good low end stuff if budget is a concern, but the premium ones are fully custom and beautiful. Moduline, Baldhead are two off the top of my head.

4) As many as outlets as you can. And 1000% have 240 on at least a 20 amp circuit. Car lifts run on 240 (some on 120 but they're SLOOOOW). I installed 120 and 240 in the ceiling above each bay. Running two lifts now but am already wired for a 3rd if/when I need that. I also built my house before I had an EV but knew it was just a matter of time. Now I have 2 and glad I put in outlets for those as well.

The following 6 users liked this post by bonehead:
ash_schwin (07-31-2024), elwademd (04-30-2024), fjpdds (04-15-2024), MovingChicane (04-16-2024), pdxjim (04-15-2024), sdematt (04-18-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-2024, 09:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,709 Likes on 2,342 Posts

"4) As many as outlets as you can. And 1000% have 240 on at least a 20 amp circuit."

RIGHT ON
but make sure your GC has a brain
I told them about lots plug...
ofc, they day they installed was the only day I wasn't home.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​yes, I got many
​​​​​​​ALL ON ONE WALL. the opposing wall had none.....
MovingChicane (04-16-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 03:26 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Love the doors

Rich_911T (04-14-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 06:21 PM
roadawg1608
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

6 month project complete, even the wife mustered a, "it looks nice"

My little slice of heaven

Last edited by roadawg1608; 04-17-2024 at 06:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by roadawg1608:
elwademd (04-30-2024), MovingChicane (04-17-2024), Rich_911T (04-17-2024), rocris120 (07-18-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 06:24 PM
Rich_911T
Pro

Originally Posted by roadawg1608

My little slice of heaven
mine actually said same about my black garage
dojo (04-20-2024)

Quick Reply: picture of your garage