991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015 | 09:32 PM
FLAT6KING
Instructor

Dammit I usually don't like stripes but this one may call for it. Can you do one with a thin red strip like K1 Studios?
Old 10-26-2015 | 09:34 PM
FLAT6KING
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9972RS
^ ahem, remove big rs wing, remove front fender and rear turbo vents, and there you have it.
Turbo wide without the vents? She would be a wide one.....
Old 10-27-2015 | 04:23 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by FLAT6KING
Dammit I usually don't like stripes but this one may call for it. Can you do one with a thin red strip like K1 Studios?
Like this?

Front and back with one interpretation of how the new 991 911R might invoke the 1967 styling cues. Didn't put in the louvred rear side windows, since probably won't pass DOT regs, even though they are so iconic and awesome. 918 Mg wheels (although Fuchs look would be truer), narrow body, round rear lights within body-coloured housing (a bit like the blanked out front indicator/daytime running lights on the Cup and GT3 R), etc. Not sure if they'll redesign and add a little extra fender flare, but that would be so cool. Wonder how close this might be?...

Last edited by <3mph; 10-27-2015 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2015 | 10:51 AM
FLAT6KING
Instructor

Originally Posted by <3mph
Like this? Front and back with one interpretation of how the new 991 911R might invoke the 1967 styling cues. Didn't put in the louvred rear side windows, since probably won't pass DOT regs, even though they are so iconic and awesome. 918 Mg wheels (although Fuchs look would be truer), narrow body, round rear lights within body-coloured housing (a bit like the blanked out front indicator/daytime running lights on the Cup and GT3 R), etc. Not sure if they'll redesign and add a little extra fender flare, but that would be so cool. Wonder how close this might be?...
You nailed it. Make mine with black wheels and that is good as bought. Don't know about the tail lights. They may go with the clear lenses and do some type of special coloring of the lens but I doubt the round lights will make the team.
Old 10-27-2015 | 12:51 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

if given the opportunity, and the R is as advertised/suggested, and I had to choose, probably would pick this over an RS
Old 10-27-2015 | 01:17 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
if given the opportunity, and the R is as advertised/suggested, and I had to choose, probably would pick this over an RS
Not me. Not into this car at all. And i certainly wouldn't over a certain PTS Kermit RS!
Old 10-27-2015 | 02:38 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Not me. Not into this car at all. And i certainly wouldn't over a certain PTS Kermit RS!
all about the specifics.

lots of "ifs".

If - 500hp, naturally aspirated, uses exotic lightweight stuff - CF, magnesium, 3k lbs, 6 speed manual, limited numbered car, etc.

If its a cosmetic thing and nothing exciting here, not interested
Old 10-27-2015 | 02:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I have zero trust in any info that has been posted here as sources. I've actually enjoyed reading people's speculation more than " I've heard/my sources " .
With that said,what if this car turns out to be PDK only? Many that are posting here on a regular basis have adopted PDK and are saying : " it's the better transmission " or(and this is hilarious!) " it is actually more engaging than a manual!!! " Why don't you wish this car to be PDK?
If you want a manual transmission,why not ask for hand crank,manual ignition advance,carburetors and all the rest of the antiquated technologies?
Old 10-27-2015 | 03:23 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
all about the specifics.

lots of "ifs".

If - 500hp, naturally aspirated, uses exotic lightweight stuff - CF, magnesium, 3k lbs, 6 speed manual, limited numbered car, etc.

If its a cosmetic thing and nothing exciting here, not interested
It'll be the real deal or they wouldn't use the 911 R model again. I'm more excited about it than my RS, if I had to pick it would be the 911 R.
Old 10-27-2015 | 03:28 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

In your rendition of proposed 911R look don't forget the vertical engine grill slats now part of the 991 styling architecture. Not my favorite part of the new 991 look...
Old 10-27-2015 | 04:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
If you want a manual transmission,why not ask for hand crank,manual ignition advance,carburetors and all the rest of the antiquated technologies?
because those antiquated technologies you're referring to pre-date everyone on this forum, they have not been relevant for 100 years. Whereas, a manual transmission is a recent "loss" that some still miss. Your question is not the logical conclusion of a "manual vs pdk" disucssion.. it's a forced extreme which therefore loses it's relevance. There is clearly a subset which wants manual NA cars still.. hopefully porsche will deliver a driver's car, not a speculator's asset, or a collector's jewel.
Old 10-27-2015 | 04:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAlexio
because those antiquated technologies you're referring to pre-date everyone on this forum, they have not been relevant for 100 years. Whereas, a manual transmission is a recent "loss" that some still miss. Your question is not the logical conclusion of a "manual vs pdk" disucssion.. it's a forced extreme which therefore loses it's relevance. There is clearly a subset which wants manual NA cars still.. hopefully porsche will deliver a driver's car, not a speculator's asset, or a collector's jewel.
Those are the exact same analogies people are using to mock the importance of having a proper manual gearbox in a sports car. I didn't make them up.
Yet,those same people are lining up to get their hands on this car. Why? Because it will be limited? Because it's a collector's item? Because you can sell it for a million bucks in 20 years? Why why why? Certainly not to drive and enjoy it!...? I mean,what's the fun in a car with less aero,perhaps less power/slower and that comes with a manual transmission?
Old 10-27-2015 | 05:42 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

I really hope they come up with some serious light weight innovations. Because if they do it will be easy to transfer it to 991.2RS.
Old 10-27-2015 | 06:04 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

I have zero trust in any info that has been posted here as sources. I've actually enjoyed reading people's speculation more than " I've heard/my sources " .
With that said,what if this car turns out to be PDK only? Many that are posting here on a regular basis have adopted PDK and are saying : " it's the better transmission " or(and this is hilarious!) " it is actually more engaging than a manual!!! " Why don't you wish this car to be PDK?
A couple things...yes speculation is some of my favorite parts about RL, nothing wrong with it but yes a lot of BS gets sprinkled about the pages. Much of it will prove to be incorrect when final announcement is made.

PDK will not be a part of the R because it would be a GT3 in plain clothes, no need for the addition to lineup. However....My family at PAG says they are working hard to reduce lots of weight on next version of PDK-S

Last edited by sccchiii; 10-27-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2015 | 06:14 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

apples vs. oranges

The reason I made the jump from air cooled cars straight to GT3 is because none of the mainline 911s approximated the emotional experience to me. That can be achieved lots of different ways, but its either there or its not. 911 S/4S/GTS? Not feeling it? Turbo? Not feeling it. Drive a manual 997 GT3, there. 991 GT3? with PDK? There. Amazing experience. Different. Snort, pop, bang. Wonderful gearbox and the shifts at 9k are explosive. This engine is mated perfectly with the gearbox, etc.

But a lightweight no wing simple formula sleeper type 911? manual makes more sense.

Not either/or. Just different for different applications.

Quick Reply: OT:911R