Sponsored by:

TRAKCAR does ED

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 06:17 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,
That's true. I have had both front turn signal lenses and the rear window replaced under warranty and in those cases the Service Dept. Manager had to take pictures and send them to PCA for approval.
The following users liked this post:
mdrums (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 06:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
Mike,
That's true. I have had both front turn signal lenses and the rear window replaced under warranty and in those cases the Service Dept. Manager had to take pictures and send them to PCA for approval.
Yeah its different these days...

Maybe I will do a Vette or Camaro with the track packages....fast fun and cheap sort of....If I could push a clutch pedal with the prosthetic leg I'd be into some sort of older Boxster or Miata (if I fit) racing and DE'ing. If I was a multi-millionaire I'd have a Cup car.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:08 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

It's always been the case that the car has to be stock to do the CPO certification. Different matter to what Trakcar has been dealing with.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
It's always been the case that the car has to be stock to do the CPO certification. Different matter to what Trakcar has been dealing with.
CPO was already done...this is a CPO transfer....CPO Warranty. Warranty null and void due to Side Muffler Deletes. They didn't like the car lowered too. got it worked out put side mufflers on so warranty stays intact.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,638 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
And I have an update, finally!

Paid off the car this morning to facilitate an easy trade-in should it be needed.
Just got an e-mail that the warranty PDK replacement is approved and hour later, oh well, I didn't need to pay it off but OK.

What gets me is the reason for the warranty block;
From PCNA Customer Service;"According to PAG, the blocking flag was added in Germany for “Vehicle wheel alignment modified for race track”. Since your vehicle has aftermarket brakes installed, the blocking flag will need to remain on the vehicle however, the dealer is making a note in the vehicle history to advise that the block is strictly for the aftermarket brakes. This will ensure that in the future if your car returns for a repair, we will be able to easily identify the reason for the block so that it can be quickly determined if the repair is related to the aftermarket modification or if this is a defect in material or workmanship is a warranty matter. The blocking flag does not mean that the warranties on the vehicle are blocked and void. The blocking flag in this case is only intended to prevent repairs due to the aftermarket modifications from being submitted under warranty."

I did protest it, because I never re-aligned the car until after it came stateside in July and all I did was add -.5 degrees of camber to the rear only in November, well within factory adjustability and I only did that once in Florida and nobody has seen the car after that.
Pretty cheeky because I am probably the 1% that actually only recorded the factory settings and left it completely as-is because it simply did so well, I didn't know what to change!

So it seems that they had a reason, maybe I track it a bit much and maybe they have seen track video's or whatever, or this thread :-) but that's kinda a blanket way to cover their ***, I cant image there are many RS with oem alignment that get tracked. Except mine LOL, factory ride height, rake, camber and toe!

I accepted the warranty on brakes being void as long as something doesn't get warranties because it was caused by the aftermarket brakes.

This, I suspect is going to be par for the course; Blanket void and then make the repair anyway only after Porsche Germany approves it, its just their way to make sure that any GT3 or RS they flagged (All of them??) will come across the desk in Germany and the dealer isn't free to just carry out a repair.

I guess I will leave well enough alone, but this kinda sucks for the after market vendors and buyers as it brings a level of uncertainty and hassle with anything aftermarket if they choke on an alignment and brake pads.
Perhaps this is the second bird with the blanket-warranty-block stone; More cars will remain more original, or perhaps less repairs have to be covered under warranty.

When I visited Hockenheim there was a Porsche Clubsport race and I was parked next to a mechanic that worked at a Porsche dealer that serviced a few of the cars racing, he told me that, even in that Porsche racing sanctioned event, the cars are to be 100% oem ClubSport cars, OEM pads, fluids EVERYTHING. If its all OEM, EVERYTHING is covered under warranty, but if you change tires or pads, warranty is void..They had a mandate also that the cars needed 3000Km on the clock before they could enter the race, or lose warranty.
I am sure some German Rennlisters that race in the Clubsport Series will correct me if that info is wrong, just some data that I think points to Porsche really wanting to keep cars OEM.
glad it's solved for now.
I think I'll be buying used now.
after all, warranty is now a hassle.....
and you know me. If I have to talk to the dealer, god forbid, to explain things that take more than 3 sentences. I turn around and leave.
lax01 (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 10:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
glad it's solved for now.
I think I'll be buying used now.
after all, warranty is now a hassle.....
and you know me. If I have to talk to the dealer, god forbid, to explain things that take more than 3 sentences. I turn around and leave.
Yes, there was an AMG GTR across the street with my name on it.
You know I’m not very good at begging, crossing the street would have been path of least resistance.

It’s OK for now, but depending on how the next 3 years go, the next car I guess will be a racecar, or a cheap out of warranty built street car.
Anyway I’m pulling my (2007 made) deposit from the dealer (“For the next RS”) by the time the $250K 992.2 GT3RS arrives, I will see if I want one at all.

mdrums (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

^ This is a bummer for those that use these cars as intended. Peter, I've been racing for 5 years now and it certainly takes care of my track 'fix'. I do miss the feel of the GT3 on track every once in a while, but the racing 'incidents' remind me that a race car on the track is much, much better than a street car on the track! Here's an onboard of such an 'incident' (is that a tire going down? LOL- rod knock, now I know!)

pdxjim (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:05 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Glad it worked out reasonable.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Bummer that payoff money could have been used somewhere more productive but glad you will get a new tranny. As far as the brakes goes it good to know for those who swapped brakes or are thinking about doing it but brakes are not warranty covered anyways.

Mercedes GT-R are great but def not gt3 rs.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
^ This is a bummer for those that use these cars as intended. Peter, I've been racing for 5 years now and it certainly takes care of my track 'fix'. I do miss the feel of the GT3 on track every once in a while, but the racing 'incidents' remind me that a race car on the track is much, much better than a street car on the track! Here's an onboard of such an 'incident' (is that a tire going down? LOL- rod knock, now I know!)

Once u race a true race car..a street gt3 feels like a heavy pig

Not nearly as fun

But racing brings a new level of bull****, lying shops, drama, bad techs

If they would only make a street drivable gt4 club sport I'd be in

Good reality check..997 cup raced properly, supported by a shop is $5000 an hour not including crash damage or insurance.

I also got sick of $15,000-$20,000 a weekend race weekend bills

So I quit racing and bought a ski in / out home in Utah..it's cheaper than racing lol
Old 01-08-2020, 02:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya

https://youtu.be/l8y_WvzMVuA
That looks warm!
Yeah, I crashed pretty hard in my fuel cell roll cage halo seat equipped racecar and on another occasion it was on fire....wouldn’t want to do the same in a new RS..
Old 01-08-2020, 03:34 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Bummer that payoff money could have been used somewhere more productive but glad you will get a new tranny. As far as the brakes goes it good to know for those who swapped brakes or are thinking about doing it but brakes are not warranty covered anyways.

Mercedes GT-R are great but def not gt3 rs.
True, that’s the GT-R Pro
Old 01-08-2020, 05:26 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
That looks warm!
Yeah, I crashed pretty hard in my fuel cell roll cage halo seat equipped racecar and on another occasion it was on fire....wouldn’t want to do the same in a new RS..
I saw a Cayman hit a tree at Roebling road....it split it all the way to the firewall...burst in flames

that's the scary part of DE in a RE with no fuel cell

Think they will void warranty if a fuel cell is installed?
Old 01-08-2020, 06:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I saw a Cayman hit a tree at Roebling road....it split it all the way to the firewall...burst in flames

that's the scary part of DE in a RE with no fuel cell

Think they will void warranty if a fuel cell is installed?
That's crazy to have an exposed tree on a circuit. I think the closest tree to my track is 15 miles away
Old 01-08-2020, 07:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,591 Likes on 5,083 Posts

There are palm trees at my track.

Lots of palm trees.

pdxjim (01-08-2020)

Quick Reply: TRAKCAR does ED