Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015 | 03:03 PM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

thanks for an awesome report.. My questions are:
1. mechanical grip vs. 991 gt3.
2. How much do you feel the aero at high speed corners? compared to 991 gt3 and 997.2 gt3 rs.
3. Is it higher than than 991 GT3?

Thanks for such an awesome review and such a nice car.. Stay safe.
Old 09-06-2015 | 04:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Steve, kudos for taking delievery and then straight to the track! Giving us the write up in between traveling and father duties is super hero! You must be exhausted!
Love the track rubber all over the body! (I would leave it for a week including run number as battle scars. Let everybody know that you are more then a cars n' coffee show queen.

As you already know the demand for these cars is strong therefore depreciation might not exist throughout your ownership for the first two years...
(Keep telling that to the wifey)

Based on everything you said, the car is everything I thought it would be. A great piece of engineering. Does everything perfect except remain stealth in the streets!

I would love to try the car. Would be afraid i would fall in love with it and your wifey would ask for my wire transfer info ..
Old 09-06-2015 | 04:33 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Default 991 GT3 RS - first impressions

Congrats - bring it back down to NorCal to play
Old 09-06-2015 | 04:45 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dark knight
^^^ not to go OT but Basal Skull, are those LED markers on your car? how'd you do that? is there a thread describing your car on here?
(sorry for the OT, here it is, quite simple really https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499
if you search under my user name and posts started by me, 'is there a thread describing your car on here?" would be an understatement! - I've got more projects planned for the winter but trying to keep up with the new metal is proving to be impossible).

BTW mixing it up on the track with Stephen was fun in his old car, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to do so with the RS
Old 09-06-2015 | 04:56 PM
Dante
Racer

beautiful in white, congrats!
Old 09-06-2015 | 06:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Great write up and review. Enjoyed it all.
Old 09-06-2015 | 10:25 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Stephen,

Silly me, I just put 2 and 2 together.

Thank you for making your CGT available last year for the 918 event.

And yes I was also the one that bought the midnight blue 997 Turbo that you made available.
Old 09-06-2015 | 11:13 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Stephen,
same here putting 2+ 2 together on identity

Wow so great to share so much here with photo's review and vid ,love your scoring that's spot on .

and of coarse you choose the right color , however the RS in my opinion is not about color , it's about

the fact it's an RS and your driving it nicely, guess I'll have to be more attentive to my mirrors now

darn it,

love your break in , I had my 3 at Sebring 10 days after going out the dealers door running with Chin

the date 12-13-14 driving a 15

hey thanks for reaching out , I'm honored , have fun being safe at it.
Old 09-06-2015 | 11:39 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

2.13?
Old 09-07-2015 | 01:36 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
wow.great video. monstered everything there! awesome front-end grip and all-round stability.
looks like you can keep the taps running nearly all the time in this thing.
formidable car.
Thanks. Tried to put some interesting footage together. The grip and ability to be WOT past apex is truly a special piece of engineering. I was not driving well at all, but the car is formidable and made me look like a hero.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I've been working out my left arm the past couple months for giving points as these 991RS start to show up at the track. Car is a beast.
LOL. The 991 GT3/RS are something else on the track. I'm still in love with the 997.2 GT3/RS, but those cars have nothing on this spaceship for quantitative/speed metrics.

Easy to get lazy and sloppy in this car. You will still pass most people. Up to the driver to be disciplined for self improvement at the limits (and not past). Reminds me when I went from my 996 GT3 to my 997 C4S before my 7.1 GT3 RS. The C4S had my driving so sloppy. My 996 GT3 years were the best I've probably ever driven (yes, that's 12 years ago!).

Originally Posted by Abby997
Congrats SSTHO! I saw her at the dealership last time I was there, what a beauty!
Who did the wrap for you?
Hey S.! Hope you get your RS soon.

Protex did the wrap; lifetime warranty incl. damage on paint from wrap removal; new product, but if OpenRoad stands behind it and is a vendor, I know they've done their diligence. Btw - what color did you order?

Love to hear your thoughts as a past pre-991 GT3 owner.

Originally Posted by whoadude
What a great write up and video, enjoyed reading/watching very much!

I got tired of the search for the 7.2, ended up with a nicely optioned 991 c2s. For my first porsche I figure cant go too wrong with that choice. Your RS give me much to aspire to though!
Thanks S. Nice C2S! They're pretty even with 997.2 GT3s with far less effort/skill to go very fast. Improved interior to boot. All great product; can't go wrong. Enjoy it!

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Great review! So it doesn't disappoint!! We were talking about how fast you were going to be with your new rs knowing how good a driver you are and how fast newer drivers are in the 991s. I know you weren't timing but knowing other cars you were passing who were, you're probably 7-8+ sec faster than your old car on your first day out taking it easy. That's crazy!
Lol. Such flattery will earn you dinner at our next track day! Yes, I am sure I was at least 8 sec faster on my laps over my 7.2 GT3. Easily. Car is an easy-to-use time machine.

Originally Posted by Shahano
thanks for an awesome report.. My questions are:
1. mechanical grip vs. 991 gt3.
2. How much do you feel the aero at high speed corners? compared to 991 gt3 and 997.2 gt3 rs.
3. Is it higher than than 991 GT3?

Thanks for such an awesome review and such a nice car.. Stay safe.
Cheers! Sorry I don't have real answers to your questions: (i) I haven't had a chance to track a 991 GT3 enough to get a good feel for it (I don't a good feel for this RS either yet); all my shifting, turn-in/braking/exit/apex/ lines are different with the 991 RS, even upshifting at 6500 - 7500rpm the whole day.

I was on MPSS on my 7.2 GT3 and the MPSC2s on the 991 GT3 RS have far more grip. To feel the aero difference will be very tough I feel. Will need to drive cars back-to-back with same set-up and use data for an answer worth giving IMHO.

I skipped the 991 GT3 as I was hesitant on PDK. But RS is RS and wanted to give it a shot. So, no comparisons to 991 GT3s from me.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Steve, kudos for taking delievery and then straight to the track! Giving us the write up in between traveling and father duties is super hero! You must be exhausted!
Love the track rubber all over the body! (I would leave it for a week including run number as battle scars. Let everybody know that you are more then a cars n' coffee show queen.

As you already know the demand for these cars is strong therefore depreciation might not exist throughout your ownership for the first two years...
(Keep telling that to the wifey)

Based on everything you said, the car is everything I thought it would be. A great piece of engineering. Does everything perfect except remain stealth in the streets!

I would love to try the car. Would be afraid i would fall in love with it and your wifey would ask for my wire transfer info ..
Lol. It was hilarious trying to make the track day. I felt like I was a zombie from the Walking Dead. Wish I had all my wits and concentration with me. I'll bring it for my Pacific Raceways 9/11 event as I won't be driving down same day running on fumes.

You have my # and email. Happy to set that up! With your plethora of 911's; this would be the ultimate everyday supercar to add for you.

Honestly, I was kind of a hater on 991 GT3/RS due to PDK; but I eat my words. I get this car now. The car is just begging me to be a better driver so she can be happier!!!

If you send wife money; she hands you title, keys, and check without question.

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Congrats - bring it back down to NorCal to play
Hey M.! Couldn't imagine one of these in your hands. Would be a riot to see!

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
BTW mixing it up on the track with Stephen was fun in his old car, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to do so with the RS
Hey R. - you have comfort know it's all car and none of it me getting any better. If anything, worse and lazier.
Old 09-07-2015 | 01:42 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Great friends took this nice shot with the white 991 GT3 and the 991 GT3 RS.

Yeehah. I like this one!

I managed to detail the car today; mooty said it was overrated. I agreed 5min into it. Look forward to detailing it again next week. lol.
Old 09-07-2015 | 01:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Awesome Stephen! Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping after some more seat time, the full blown love affair begins.
stubborn sstho is just trying to be contrarian.
he will learn to love panda.
10/5 private maybe at TH.
come play.
Old 09-07-2015 | 01:51 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
10/5 private maybe at TH. come play.
I actually will be in Bay Area on 10/5,... but for work.
Old 09-07-2015 | 01:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

^ work will be there when you are done tracking. trust me.
of cousre, beings a buddy, i'll LET you work, if you let me drive panda at TH ;-)
Old 09-07-2015 | 02:28 AM
Abby997
Racer

Originally Posted by SSTHO

Hey S.! Hope you get your RS soon.

Protex did the wrap; lifetime warranty incl. damage on paint from wrap removal; new product, but if OpenRoad stands behind it and is a vendor, I know they've done their diligence. Btw - what color did you order?

Love to hear your thoughts as a past pre-991 GT3 owner.

Thanks for the info Stephen! Looks like Protex is wrapping all the cars there for them, maybe I will get them to do mine as well. Was it a well done job? Do you know if they fully detail the cars before applying the wrap? Maybe I should ask them in details next time i go there. I know Autowerks exclusive in Maple ridge does excellent job, I have considered having them to do the wraps on my car, but having it done pre delivery is a big plus for me.

Mine is (Lava orange) scheduled to arrived late November, so I probably wont get too many days of driving out of it this year. But im very pleased that I ended up with an allocation. Feel very grateful and need to thank you for all the help during the process.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS - first impressions