Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 AM
Hashlak
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up and video Nice to read for those awaiting their RS lol..
Only 3 months left for mine, really excited as its gonna be my first Porsche
Old 09-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Also got my RS finally, also white. Figue that if I don't like white I'll do a full wrap - maybe Mexico Blue. Car looks great in white though. Still in break in miles for the moment. A few observations:

- I ordered red seat belts. Mistake since the door pulls are silver white unlike like previous RS models.

- Concur the car is a bit higher than the 997.2 RS this one does not scrape where the other did. Glad I did not buy the left option which on previous cars has been less than reliable.

- I love that the driver seat is height adjustable - now the sun visor is functional. Those who have driven a 997.2 west into late afternoon sun will know what I mean. The down side is that since the LWB do not fold access to the rear is very difficult.

- New PDK is amazing, shifts faster than my 2013 Boxster S but without the "bang" I got in Sports Plus on the Boxster which I always shifted manually on track and in Sport mode to avoid the harsh bang when upshifting. New version is perfectly seamless.

- I HATE the no creep feature of the revised PDK. My garage requires tight manoeuvres with the wheel cranked. PDK Boxster is a breeze. This one is a pain in the ***. With the wheel crakend - apply a little gas - nothing happens and clutch just slips. So add more gas and the car lunges and you need to tap the brakes. Hill holder comes one and to move again you need a lot of gas - rinse and repeat. Neighbors must hate be because there is a lot a vrooming going on just to get out of my parking spot. I hope this feature can be programmed OFF - at least the hill holder function which would help a lot.

- Shorter gears are nice - 7th is now needed for highway as opposed to being a fuel economy trick. IN the Boxster I'd sift manually to avoid 7th and the feel that I was lugging the engine.

- Car come with Bluetooth, was an option on the 997.2 not that it matters the car is so loud it is useless unless stopped.

- Car is noisier than my 2010 RS - on concrete highways here the road noise is so lound that I can't hear the engine! I suspect this is a Feature of the 20 and 21 inch wheels. NOiose level is OK on smooth asphalt though.

- Lightweght flywheel still sounds like the engine is going to fall out - no change there excep that wheile moving at low speeds it is still there unlike the manual in the 2010.

- Steering is fine - seems to be speed sensitive with increased effort as speeds increase. Very good road feel so nothing important is lost in spite of being electric.

- Exhaust note is very good if you accelerate hard. Makes me wonder about passing sound limits on track days when 92 dB rule is enforced. Time will tell.

- Michelin Cup 2 tires are excellent in the dry but slow down in heavy rain!

- Handling is excellent - car is as said earlier, planted.

- LED headlights are excellent! One of my few options. Need to compare with regular HIDs to see if they are worth the added cost.

- Not liking the dark grey wheels - wish I could have white. ON the other hand 19 inch track wheels will be added as soon as available. Also discovered that the 4 wheel steering can be turned off with the PWIS computer. May be needed with slicks - that will have to wait.

- I love the car. New avatar coming soon
Old 09-07-2015, 05:12 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Great review! So it doesn't disappoint!! We were talking about how fast you were going to be with your new rs knowing how good a driver you are and how fast newer drivers are in the 991s. I know you weren't timing but knowing other cars you were passing who were, you're probably 7-8+ sec faster than your old car on your first day out taking it easy. That's crazy!
7-8s is insane. And he was taking it easy. And it was his first day.

God damn!

At least I'll have an excuse for being passed.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I actually will be in Bay Area on 10/5,... but for work.
You need intervention.

Originally Posted by mooty
^ work will be there when you are done tracking. trust me.
of cousre, beings a buddy, i'll LET you work, if you let me drive panda at TH ;-)
We need to become Stephens life coach.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Also got my RS finally, also white. Figue that if I don't like white I'll do a full wrap - maybe Mexico Blue. Car looks great in white though. Still in break in miles for the moment. A few observations:

- I ordered red seat belts. Mistake since the door pulls are silver white unlike like previous RS models.

- Concur the car is a bit higher than the 997.2 RS this one does not scrape where the other did. Glad I did not buy the left option which on previous cars has been less than reliable.

- I love that the driver seat is height adjustable - now the sun visor is functional. Those who have driven a 997.2 west into late afternoon sun will know what I mean. The down side is that since the LWB do not fold access to the rear is very difficult.

- New PDK is amazing, shifts faster than my 2013 Boxster S but without the "bang" I got in Sports Plus on the Boxster which I always shifted manually on track and in Sport mode to avoid the harsh bang when upshifting. New version is perfectly seamless.

- I HATE the no creep feature of the revised PDK. My garage requires tight manoeuvres with the wheel cranked. PDK Boxster is a breeze. This one is a pain in the ***. With the wheel crakend - apply a little gas - nothing happens and clutch just slips. So add more gas and the car lunges and you need to tap the brakes. Hill holder comes one and to move again you need a lot of gas - rinse and repeat. Neighbors must hate be because there is a lot a vrooming going on just to get out of my parking spot. I hope this feature can be programmed OFF - at least the hill holder function which would help a lot.

- Shorter gears are nice - 7th is now needed for highway as opposed to being a fuel economy trick. IN the Boxster I'd sift manually to avoid 7th and the feel that I was lugging the engine.

- Car come with Bluetooth, was an option on the 997.2 not that it matters the car is so loud it is useless unless stopped.

- Car is noisier than my 2010 RS - on concrete highways here the road noise is so lound that I can't hear the engine! I suspect this is a Feature of the 20 and 21 inch wheels. NOiose level is OK on smooth asphalt though.

- Lightweght flywheel still sounds like the engine is going to fall out - no change there excep that wheile moving at low speeds it is still there unlike the manual in the 2010.

- Steering is fine - seems to be speed sensitive with increased effort as speeds increase. Very good road feel so nothing important is lost in spite of being electric.

- Exhaust note is very good if you accelerate hard. Makes me wonder about passing sound limits on track days when 92 dB rule is enforced. Time will tell.

- Michelin Cup 2 tires are excellent in the dry but slow down in heavy rain!

- Handling is excellent - car is as said earlier, planted.

- LED headlights are excellent! One of my few options. Need to compare with regular HIDs to see if they are worth the added cost.

- Not liking the dark grey wheels - wish I could have white. ON the other hand 19 inch track wheels will be added as soon as available. Also discovered that the 4 wheel steering can be turned off with the PWIS computer. May be needed with slicks - that will have to wait.

- I love the car. New avatar coming soon
Rob, thank you.
White is always awesome.

Track it asap. I've ridden with you at the track once, love your non cool-aide opinion. Belts easy to fix, plenty GT3 owners will want to trade red ones.

Miami White wheels? Ship it here for the winter, I will be your personal car track concierge.

I'm very excited with the height adjustable seats and huge leg room.

Keep us posted on slicks, 19" PIWIS options!!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:15 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, Very curious about the 19" wheel decision, especially going down from 21" rear. Please post your findings. Thanks, Allan
Old 09-07-2015, 11:23 PM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Bob, Very curious about the 19" wheel decision, especially going down from 21" rear. Please post your findings. Thanks, Allan
+1
Old 09-07-2015, 11:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

"We need to become Stephens life coach."

we have similar background.
i teach him.
but he learns slow.
young buck.
he will sooner kick himself as to why didn't he listen to me first.
you watch...
Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

haha!
you should write the book lol
Old 09-08-2015, 03:00 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby997
Thanks for the info Stephen! Looks like Protex is wrapping all the cars there for them, maybe I will get them to do mine as well. Was it a well done job? Do you know if they fully detail the cars before applying the wrap? Maybe I should ask them in details next time i go there. I know Autowerks exclusive in Maple ridge does excellent job, I have considered having them to do the wraps on my car, but having it done pre delivery is a big plus for me.

Mine is (Lava orange) scheduled to arrived late November, so I probably wont get too many days of driving out of it this year. But im very pleased that I ended up with an allocation. Feel very grateful and need to thank you for all the help during the process.
Sure! Yes, Protex is doing all the wraps for OpenRoad that I know of.

PM me re: wrap details. The lifetime warranty is great including any damage when taking on/off/replacing the wrap. Also, transferable to new owner as well.

Glad you are up soon! I doubt my few words had any impact.

Originally Posted by Hashlak
Great write up and video Nice to read for those awaiting their RS lol..
Only 3 months left for mine, really excited as its gonna be my first Porsche
Cool. Thanks for reading. Good luck enduring the wait!

Thanks Bob for your thoughts!

i. adjusting the tilt of the car is good for my wife and I; I personally liked the fixed seat in 997 GT2 seats

I forgot this one big complaint; no folding seat is horrible. Can't access large rear room (fit bags, etc.) without being super careful not to scratch, etc. REALLY ANNOYING!

ii. no creep is what I am used to now; I think it's a matter of time and being deliberate and precise with inputs. Not worried just yet.

iii. Bluetooth: yes, was great for audio and phone in my car; never expected to use it, but wife called and could almost have a conversation cruising 70mph.

iv. Road noise: yes, this is marginally higher than the 7.2 GT3 RS; agreed because of lower profile tires

v. LWFW: there is NO mechanical grind in 991 GT3 RS; this was the main reason I sold the 7.2 GT3 RS - can't have a conversation inside the car at idle during city driving. New RS is SILENT. At low rpms in parking lot; yes, sounds like engine is falling apart - does not like it at all. No sound at idle is the big one for me. Rarely engage in slow speeds in parking lots.

Originally Posted by shotor
7-8s is insane. And he was taking it easy. And it was his first day.
Hey! Was fun running 7.2 GT3s a while ago. There's so much potential and technology in this car. However, you're having more fun.

Originally Posted by mooty
"We need to become Stephens life coach."

we have similar background.
i teach him.
but he learns slow.
young buck.
he will sooner kick himself as to why didn't he listen to me first.
you watch...
I don't feel young with x2 kids. Grow up quick. Got more mouths to feed now and work is all good busy!
Old 09-08-2015, 03:44 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

I ordered red too, to match the 6-point harnesses that comes with club sport.

I'll replace the silver strap with red one - maybe from the GT4.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Sure! Yes, Protex is doing all the wraps for OpenRoad that I know of.

PM me re: wrap details. The lifetime warranty is great including any damage when taking on/off/replacing the wrap. Also, transferable to new owner as well.

Glad you are up soon! I doubt my few words had any impact.

Cool. Thanks for reading. Good luck enduring the wait!

Thanks Bob for your thoughts!

i. adjusting the tilt of the car is good for my wife and I; I personally liked the fixed seat in 997 GT2 seats

I forgot this one big complaint; no folding seat is horrible. Can't access large rear room (fit bags, etc.) without being super careful not to scratch, etc. REALLY ANNOYING!

ii. no creep is what I am used to now; I think it's a matter of time and being deliberate and precise with inputs. Not worried just yet.

iii. Bluetooth: yes, was great for audio and phone in my car; never expected to use it, but wife called and could almost have a conversation cruising 70mph.

iv. Road noise: yes, this is marginally higher than the 7.2 GT3 RS; agreed because of lower profile tires

v. LWFW: there is NO mechanical grind in 991 GT3 RS; this was the main reason I sold the 7.2 GT3 RS - can't have a conversation inside the car at idle during city driving. New RS is SILENT. At low rpms in parking lot; yes, sounds like engine is falling apart - does not like it at all. No sound at idle is the big one for me. Rarely engage in slow speeds in parking lots.

Hey! Was fun running 7.2 GT3s a while ago. There's so much potential and technology in this car. However, you're having more fun.

I don't feel young with x2 kids. Grow up quick. Got more mouths to feed now and work is all good busy!
how did RS review becomes life lesson.
now the kids are cheap still
feed. have you pick up mia and max. really fit and extremely dense.
carrots, beans, edamame and tiny bits of meat.
i was surprise how strong mia is at 10 and how fast and long she can run.
max is getting there.

get the book "super baby food".
thx me later.

i know you feel old.
so bring panda down since u are here 10/5
do T Hill with me.
otherwise, you will soon have more white hair than i.

and we need to sushi run again....
Old 09-08-2015, 04:21 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 561 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm really surprised that you can turn off the rear wheel steering. Is there an official document from Porsche explaining why this is possible?

Thank you for the report.
Pictures of your white beast maybe?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:37 PM
gled
Instructor

Don't know if this has been covered but Just finished factory tour today and was surprised how late the roof went on the RS's, and other cars as well. Just before the front and rear glass. Down the line quite a ways, but before the marriage. I assume the roof is bonded. GT3 engines going down the line with all the pedistrian motors. G.Led
Old 09-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey R. - you have comfort know it's all car and none of it me getting any better. If anything, worse and lazier.
Stephen,

I'll drive your RS at Ridge next season, then consider putting my name down for next gen RS.

I do not mind being lazy and passing everyone in a fast car. That's one reason I buy my .2RS to start with.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:00 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Stephen,

I'll drive your RS at Ridge next season, then consider putting my name down for next gen RS.

I do not mind being lazy and passing everyone in a fast car. That's one reason I buy my .2RS to start with.
Hey T. You are welcome to. Come out 9/14 at the Ridge. I am considering registering for that day after 9/11 at Pacific.

WARNING - if you do, make sure you leave your check book and title to your 7.2 RS at home. You'll be begging me to take your car and money if lazy and passing everyone in a fast car is your goal. Promise you will never look at your 7.2 RS the same way again.

Re: lists on 1.2 RS, you know you're already behind the curve, right? lol.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS - first impressions