Sponsored by:

G43 fits in my door pocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 07:54 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Last try, I swear. Sam, I realize this is a pointless discussion to have with some, but you are a rational, responsible person. Regarding your linked story, because we can't stop every criminal from getting a gun does that mean we shouldn't try to keep any criminal or mentally ill person from getting a gun?

There are many examples, some already stated in this thread, where criminals or mentally ill buyers obtained guns through "legal" means and killed people with them. Universal background checks of buyers in the 40 states that don't have them for gun show and other private sales could save lives. If it saved even 1% of the 33,000 that are lost every year in gun related incidents, wouldn't it be worth it? That's 330 people. One of them might be someone you, I, or another RL'er knows or loves. Isn't it worth trying to do something about that?

I'm all for honoring the 2nd amendment. But somehow this has become an ideological, knee-jerk, left-right issue instead of a common sense one. Some people are more worried about the hypothetical tin-hat scenario that the government is going to intern everyone in FEMA camps than they are about the real life scenario where guns in the hands of the wrong person are involved in killing 90 people every day. It's nuts.

You're absolutely right, we can't stop every criminal or crazy person from getting a gun, but they tend not to be the sharpest knives in the drawer after all, and I strongly believe we would stop some. As a law abiding gun owner myself, I can't understand why other law abiding gun owners would be against trying.

That's all....stay safe.
I don't really disagree with you, Mike. I believe in my second amendment right but I also realize that times have changed considerably and the facts indicate that illegal gun purchases are a culprit in a significant number of crimes and it is because of that, I am a very strong proponent of closing the private sale loopholes. I may get flamed for this but not only do I support closing the gun show loophole, I think individual to individual sales should be regulated. Guns are a huge responsibility that should be respected. I have CCW permit and when I do carry, I feel a heightened sense of responsibility and caution. My link was to underscore that we can NOT control criminal purchases/ownerships but I agree we can reduce them and we are both on the same page. I am certainly against additional gun control measures that make little or no sense, though.

Originally Posted by awew911
Mike,
One change I would in favor of is a modification to HIPAA laws so that if you are prescribed and SSRI drug, for a period of 6 months from that date, you would be ineligible to purchase a firearm through a dealer. This would have to be reported by pharmacies to the Fed and tied to your background check.

This, however, would not resolved non-FFL purchases nor the gas station parking lot specials. It also wouldn't stop horrible events like Newtown.

I also think there should be no gun-free zones (except federal buildings / court houses and police stations).

This isn't an easy problem to solve. Almost impossible to solve, because those that wish to do us harm will do so at any expense - including their own demise.

Best to be prepared to respond accordingly...
As a patient advocate, I respectfully disagree with your HIPPA proposal. The argument would be very long to tackle here but I'll give a theoretical example. A person loses his/her spouse to illness gets depressed, goes on an SSRI for 6 months and now feels well should be denied a gun? I disagree, plus we have now stigmatized that person, not to mention how long would he or she be not allowed to buy a gun? Sure, more serious mental illnesses are different but until there is system that clearly differentiates which level of illness qualifies, I don't know the solution.

I agree with you that gun-free zones should be reduced (no worries, I have my flame suit on). A person with a conceal carry permit has had his/her fingerprints done and an extensive background check through the FBI. That person will not (at least I haven't heard of any) go on a shooting rampage. A criminal, who by definition breaks laws, will not leave his/her gun out when they enter such establishment (fact: happened before, several times). Mike, think of this scenario: you are in a place that doesn't allow guns, then a crazy criminal walks in and starts shooting randomly. Security and/or police are 4-5 minutes away at the very best. Would you rather nothing else happens or would it be better that a law abiding citizen gets his concealed weapon out and terminate the threat?

awew911, I very much agree with your last two paragraphs.

Originally Posted by mrwilson
I have a G42 clipped to the door pocket and a G19 under the seat.
This is definitely easy to get to but I would worry about anyone seeing my gun when I open the door. Texas will allow open carry as of January 1st and I am certainly never going to do that, even though my permit will allow me. I don't want to be the first target to go when the perps walk in. At least you are staying on topic
Old 09-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I appreciate your POV, Sam.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

if everybody was packin', nobody would be jackin' ........
Old 09-14-2015, 12:35 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that absolutely everyone in the US should hand in all of their firearms, for the safety of the nation.
Except for me.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:30 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

This is the kind of gun control that I oppose:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...-into-felonies
Old 09-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

And this is the real problem. Educated rational folks are not automatically against any firearm regulation but no one, including on this thread, has come up with a solution that would be both effective against criminal activity, and not infringe to an undue degree on law abiding citizens.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by 008
And this is the real problem. Educated rational folks are not automatically against any firearm regulation but no one, including on this thread, has come up with a solution that would be both effective against criminal activity, and not infringe to an undue degree on law abiding citizens.
It underscores the complexity of the issue and parties have to sit down and talk. Guns for everybody anytime or no guns except with extremely tight monitoring won't work. The "simplest" starting point is to fix the current NCIS background check process.
Rhetorical question: Everyone is OK registering their cars. Why aren't they OK registering their guns? Mass confiscations can't really happen.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
It underscores the complexity of the issue and parties have to sit down and talk. Guns for everybody anytime or no guns except with extremely tight monitoring won't work. The "simplest" starting point is to fix the current NCIS background check process.
Rhetorical question: Everyone is OK registering their cars. Why aren't they OK registering their guns? Mass confiscations can't really happen.
Sorry Sam, I'm not buying it. I don't think anyone is saying "Guns for everybody anytime or no guns except with extremely tight monitoring". Well maybe some are...

Registration of a firearm doesn't change who can use it for criminal purposes exactly the same for automobiles. All registration does is let "read in" govt bodies know who bought the gun and where it is "registered".

I know it was rhetorical but I'm actually not OK with registering vehicles, especially how it's done it TX. You need a license to drive a car on a public road. You need a license to carry a firearm in public. Makes sense to me. I'm ok with that.

Why do my new Porsches need to be "inspected" annually and registered with the state? Fees, pure and simple. Personal responsibility has gone out the window.

I would be fine if I was given access, for a fee, to do a background check on an individual prior to consummating a private party sale. I wouldn't need to see the details of the check just a simple yes or no. That would close your so called loop hole. And I think many if not most law abiding gun owning citizens would welcome that change for their own piece of mind.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:38 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/nati...cationlooklike

again... MOLON LABE!!!!
Old 09-14-2015, 11:59 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by 008
I would be fine if I was given access, for a fee, to do a background check on an individual prior to consummating a private party sale. I wouldn't need to see the details of the check just a simple yes or no. That would close your so called loop hole. And I think many if not most law abiding gun owning citizens would welcome that change for their own piece of mind.
Brilliant idea!!

Quick Reply: G43 fits in my door pocket