Sponsored by:

RS engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,022 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Test Jet
There is bound to be a few more fires before the recall, its inevitable. They have not even started hitting the circuits by the weekend warriors, just the cars and croissants where engine fires are unlikely.

Is this engine fire #2 or #3, in a relatively short time span?
Well we know the bubble wrapped RSs that are wiped with diapers won't have their engines blow up or catch on fire so it'll be the DE guys that take the cars out to the track to flog on that will have the gremlins surface.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:35 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Our job now.. Let's see if I can make it last to the ED drop off date at least. If it's gonna brake let's brake it in the homeland.
Please properly flog your barney for me and shake the gremlins out. And this is why I like buying tracked cars. The garage queens are too soft.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:58 AM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

^ this. i'd rather buy a car from a guy who drives it and takes care of it with proper maintenance than some joe blow who couldn't even tell you what type of oil is in the engine.

I'll never understand the garage queen mentality. Those cars just end up with more problems from laying stagnant
Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R35driver
^ this. i'd rather buy a car from a guy who drives it and takes care of it with proper maintenance than some joe blow who couldn't even tell you what type of oil is in the engine.

I'll never understand the garage queen mentality. Those cars just end up with more problems from laying stagnant
Even though my RS doesn't get driven much, I still take it out and love hearing the sweet sound the engine makes once it's revved up a bit in the back roads of OC.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,685 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
As everyone knows they test the crap out of the mules....cold, hot, track, street, etc. but in grand scale it's such a short development envelope with actual real world testing. The RS is an exception and this is a bit sad to see given all the additional testing that was done and delay of RS launch after GT3 recall? Unfortunately, customers are ALWAYS the best test/development drivers.....we find the smallest engineering errors quickly and not so quickly with others but at some point we find them all!
should PAG pay us for testing for them?
Old 08-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good point mooty.

This is the white one that came off the track 10 days back. If you look at the pictures carefully you can see its had a fire in exactly the same place (left hand under the light).

So the purple car has had tw engines go (480km and 1600km?) and this white one had only a few hundred Km on it, I believe there is also a LO example in Europe had a fire at the track.

I think its dangerous to jump to conclusions at this point. This is the area where the oil filler neck is related. It could be any manner of things including an oil overfill affecting these cars....
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2015, 04:45 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Ok so that makes 3 RSs with this little engine issue, do we have to wait for a GT silver one to have the same thing happen before Porsche pulls a stop sale again? I mean, there can't be more than a few dozens that have gotten flogged at the track at this point. Bubble wrapped RSs shouldn't have these annoying issues.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:46 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
should PAG pay us for testing for them?
How does one become a mule driver? I can drive those mules around showing houses.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:05 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

A long shot: Can it be the rear wheel with its limited clearance that causes the fire?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi all,

there are several more engine failures, albeit they didn't light up the cars, both on GT3 and RS models.
Actually just yesterday one sat with a dead engine right on the Nordschleife. To note is actually that this is the second engine of this guys car and he did warn his Porsche Dealer that this engine also uses the same amount of oil as the previous engine.

All of them have had considerable oil consumption from start and all have been track driven. There are rather few driven hard on the track and all the ones, from my experience, that are driven closer to the limit have failed. It it seriously odd how slow most 991 GT3/RS owners drive their cars on the Nordschleife, but the reasons should be obvious.

I only know a handful of cars of newer GT3 and RS and all have new engines.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:24 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

The good news is that we are prepared as we have a stop sale sticky already in the forum, pre-populated with 5,292 posts of "information" LOL.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Der-Schwabe
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Good point mooty.

This is the white one that came off the track 10 days back. If you look at the pictures carefully you can see its had a fire in exactly the same place (left hand under the light).

So the purple car has had tw engines go (480km and 1600km?) and this white one had only a few hundred Km on it, I believe there is also a LO example in Europe had a fire at the track.

I think its dangerous to jump to conclusions at this point. This is the area where the oil filler neck is related. It could be any manner of things including an oil overfill affecting these cars....
Your posts are usually of high quality, but the white RS was the one that was crashed ( http://www.worldcarfans.com/11508139...rs-end-up-like ) and had it's rear suspension broken, so I am not sure what we can conclude from the scorched body-work other that it may have been a consequence of the crash:

Otherwise, could one not also show concerns about this 650S's engine that was completely destroyed during a test drive when it came off the road and hit a tree last year?

(Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...est-drive.html )

As regards the purple RS, if you read the comments by the Youtube clip poster on Youtube, it looks to me that there is some 'history' with the owner potentially not allowing Porsche a full investigation at the factory of the vehicle of the initial failure after just 480 kms (was run-in period adhered to?) but the owner insisted that the engine just be replaced (regardless whether it was at the root of the original issue) at the local Porsche Dealer (Porsche Zentrum). During that process (engine swap over) the aircon compressor got damaged and could not be repaired due to the spares not becoming available until November. It is unclear whether this (second failure at 1600 kms) was caused by said damaged part or some electrics. So it may be premature to conclude, that the engine is at the root of these issues...just saying.

Last edited by Der-Schwabe; 08-24-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:24 AM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

^^^ Interessant. Danke!

Alles Gute/Fierte,

B
Old 08-24-2015, 11:36 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Der-Schwabe
As regards the purple RS, if you read the comments by the Youtube clip poster on Youtube, it looks to me that there is some 'history' with the owner potentially not allowing Porsche a full investigation at the factory of the vehicle of the initial failure after just 480 miles (was run-in period adhered to?) but the owner insisted that the engine just be replaced (regardless whether it was at the root of the original issue) at the local Porsche Dealer (Porsche Zentrum). During that process (engine swap over) the aircon compressor got damaged and could not be repaired due to the spares not becoming available until November. It is unclear whether this (second failure at 1600 kms) was caused by said damaged part or some electrics. So it may be premature to conclude, that the engine is at the root of these issues...just saying.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
I would argue that after 5 years of development and test mules should it be acceptable for Porsche to be doing their problem solving on customer cars? No matter how you cut it, there is no excuse for cars dropping engine after engine as seems to be the case with the current GT series of cars. A company with this level of motorsport pedigree and know how should be able to build a flagship product without this level of failure, full stop. Hardly confidence inspiring when expected to pony up in excess of $400k in my market

As for suggestions about poor break in etc being a possible cause/contributor, this should only affect long term reliability of the product, not be a reason for spontaneous combustion! I've never seen a single dealer demo model broken in yet I've never seen a single demo model spontaneously combust!
Old 08-24-2015, 11:43 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I would argue that after 5 years of development and test mules should it be acceptable for Porsche to be doing their problem solving on customer cars? No matter how you cut it, there is no excuse for cars dropping engine after engine as seems to be the case with the current GT series of cars. A company with this level of motorsport pedigree and know how should be able to build a flagship product without this level of failure, full stop. Hardly confidence inspiring when expected to pony up in excess of $400k in my market
There were no shortage of issues with the Mezger engines, and they raced the living hell out of those motors. I'm talking stupid **** like a lose bolt on an intake flap detonating motors, bolts backing out on timing actuators, coolant lines, weak clutches.....

If you are expecting corolla-like quality and durability.....you have bought the wrong vehicle. I can't think of a high performance vehicle that has not had some sort of issue. The true test will be how Porsche handles this with Customers. So far, I have been treated well, so I'm not worried.

Quick Reply: RS engine failure