Sponsored by:

Travel with luggage in a GT3 w/LWB

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:26 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Travel with luggage in a GT3 w/LWB

For those of you that have followed my post on my euro delivery, you may find the following entertaining.
I planned my trip very carefully. My wife was joining me on my tour and experiences with my new car. She is not a "car" person. I knew I needed to haul the maximum amount of luggage I could fit into a GT3. It's just the way she travels.
I combed the internet and RL to find the best luggage solutions. There is available light weight Rimowa/Porsche luggage. I found it difficult to find the correct information for the combinations of cases best suit. I discovered the secret combinations of cases only to find out the sizes were not what I thought suitable. I also did not feel comfortable with the cost/value.
I requested my SA to carefully measure the frunk of a 991.
Armed with the "exact" dimensions, I purchased two large High end Samsonite cases to fit both cases perfectly in the frunk....done.
I also purchased two carry on/in car cases. I was concerned about loading the car with the smaller cases. The (FIXED BACK) LWB may not slide far enough forward to pass the cases through to the back.
I found on RL, a video of a guy with the LWB seats. He was able to climb behind the seats. OK .. we are good.

Off to Leipzig,....great day...,track time... done
Went back to the hotel. Enjoyed the evening. All is good.
The next morning, time to depart and load the luggage into the car.
opened the frunk. Placed one large case into the frunk.......there is no way the second case will fit. I don't understand.. I know how to use a tape measure...it has to fit...nope.
Why wont it fit you ask?
My SA measured a "2WD" 991 frunk....The Gt3 is based on the "4WD" chassis. the frunk is smaller due to the 4wd system.

At this moment, my wife is giving me the "You Idiot" husband look.
She was embarrassed standing there looking at this luggage that wont fit into my stupid impractical car.
I said, "no problem, there is tons of room in the car behind the seats"
I open the passenger door and slide the LWB seat all the way forward.......There is no way to pass a suitcase through to the back behind the seats.....Oh ****.
Now, my car loving wife, was horrified. The thought she had was that we needed to open the cases and load her clothes and undergarments in front of all the valet guys........
I was running out of options......The wife is about to loose her bacon (Canadian)bacon.
She was going to kill me and bury my body somewhere in the former East German countryside. The guy on RL that fit behind the seats had to be as skinny as a broom stick!
I got this.....I said.
solution, slide the driver's seat all the way forward and lower all the way down.
next slide the passenger seat all the way back and down.
Sit in the passenger seat and have the valet guys hand you the cases.
This is where is gets awkward.......and warning to all who have back issues.
Lift the cases up, over, and between the seats as you contort and twist your back. You have to permanently injure your back during this procedure to work all while not letting the wife know that there is any problem.
Once all loaded we were good. Wife loves the car.
Until the next hotel. To unload, reverse the procedure. Tell the valet guy to just stand there at the passenger side while I hand over the cases.

So, now that I am home I am planning more travel in the GT3.
I decided to purchase the Rimowa/Porsche luggage that fits the frunk properly. What sealed the deal for me was the "limited edition rs 2.7" XL lightweight trolly case with VIPER green wheels and zipper. I had also purchased the trunk liner and two "limited rs 2.7" coffee mugs.
I bring my new purchases home. Pop the frunk. Install the trunk liner....perfect fit....that's nice.
Then, I try the xl Rimowa case......it does not fit....what??? It does not fit with the trunk liner. Remove trunk liner and it fits perfect.

One good thing....the coffee mugs worked perfectly...no leaks or problems..
my luck will be that I will get poisoned from the paint on the mugs...
Just my luck. LOL
Old 07-16-2015, 01:32 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Name:  IMG_0642.JPG
Views: 3403
Size:  1.54 MB

Name:  IMG_0641.JPG
Views: 3261
Size:  1.42 MB

Name:  IMG_0643.JPG
Views: 3977
Size:  1.20 MB

Name:  IMG_0640.JPG
Views: 5263
Size:  1.10 MB
Old 07-16-2015, 01:33 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Name:  IMG_0644.JPG
Views: 3118
Size:  1.26 MB

Name:  IMG_0646.JPG
Views: 3123
Size:  1.28 MB

Name:  IMG_0645.JPG
Views: 3111
Size:  1.24 MB
Old 07-16-2015, 02:15 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info. Yeah, when we did ED and our roadtrip to LA, we made sure to bring mostly soft luggage (duffel bags, or extra large Longchamps bags work great, for example), but were able to fit a carry on suitcase into the frunk like you did (with a soft bag on top of it tucked towards the back in the "triangular" space under the sloping hood). We also found the best way to pass larger objects with LWB is between the seats. Soft luggage is much easier to do this with. There is a remarkable amount of space back there. Only downside to stuff behind the front seats is that you cannot hide any of it if you're parking in public areas. We learned to live with less, and just packed light.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:48 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BL8
For those of you that have followed my post on my euro delivery, you may find the following entertaining.
I planned my trip very carefully. My wife was joining me on my tour and experiences with my new car. She is not a "car" person. I knew I needed to haul the maximum amount of luggage I could fit into a GT3. It's just the way she travels.
I combed the internet and RL to find the best luggage solutions. There is available light weight Rimowa/Porsche luggage. I found it difficult to find the correct information for the combinations of cases best suit. I discovered the secret combinations of cases only to find out the sizes were not what I thought suitable. I also did not feel comfortable with the cost/value.
I requested my SA to carefully measure the frunk of a 991.
Armed with the "exact" dimensions, I purchased two large High end Samsonite cases to fit both cases perfectly in the frunk....done.
I also purchased two carry on/in car cases. I was concerned about loading the car with the smaller cases. The (FIXED BACK) LWB may not slide far enough forward to pass the cases through to the back.
I found on RL, a video of a guy with the LWB seats. He was able to climb behind the seats. OK .. we are good.

Off to Leipzig,....great day...,track time... done
Went back to the hotel. Enjoyed the evening. All is good.
The next morning, time to depart and load the luggage into the car.
opened the frunk. Placed one large case into the frunk.......there is no way the second case will fit. I don't understand.. I know how to use a tape measure...it has to fit...nope.
Why wont it fit you ask?
My SA measured a "2WD" 991 frunk....The Gt3 is based on the "4WD" chassis. the frunk is smaller due to the 4wd system.

At this moment, my wife is giving me the "You Idiot" husband look.
She was embarrassed standing there looking at this luggage that wont fit into my stupid impractical car.
I said, "no problem, there is tons of room in the car behind the seats"
I open the passenger door and slide the LWB seat all the way forward.......There is no way to pass a suitcase through to the back behind the seats.....Oh ****.
Now, my car loving wife, was horrified. The thought she had was that we needed to open the cases and load her clothes and undergarments in front of all the valet guys........
I was running out of options......The wife is about to loose her bacon (Canadian)bacon.
She was going to kill me and bury my body somewhere in the former East German countryside. The guy on RL that fit behind the seats had to be as skinny as a broom stick!
I got this.....I said.
solution, slide the driver's seat all the way forward and lower all the way down.
next slide the passenger seat all the way back and down.
Sit in the passenger seat and have the valet guys hand you the cases.
This is where is gets awkward.......and warning to all who have back issues.
Lift the cases up, over, and between the seats as you contort and twist your back. You have to permanently injure your back during this procedure to work all while not letting the wife know that there is any problem.
Once all loaded we were good. Wife loves the car.
Until the next hotel. To unload, reverse the procedure. Tell the valet guy to just stand there at the passenger side while I hand over the cases.

So, now that I am home I am planning more travel in the GT3.
I decided to purchase the Rimowa/Porsche luggage that fits the frunk properly. What sealed the deal for me was the "limited edition rs 2.7" XL lightweight trolly case with VIPER green wheels and zipper. I had also purchased the trunk liner and two "limited rs 2.7" coffee mugs.
I bring my new purchases home. Pop the frunk. Install the trunk liner....perfect fit....that's nice.
Then, I try the xl Rimowa case......it does not fit....what??? It does not fit with the trunk liner. Remove trunk liner and it fits perfect.

One good thing....the coffee mugs worked perfectly...no leaks or problems..
my luck will be that I will get poisoned from the paint on the mugs...
Just my luck. LOL
Great story.

The Rimowa (photo below) is definitely something to consider. And for some unknown reason, I am too attracted to the green bits!

Right now I have a beautiful set of leather fitted luggage (English from 'Bespoke') that makes travel on my Audi R8 Spyder (barely) manageable. So I understand what you went through...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Bietigheim
Old 07-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

I thought we had resolved your issue back in March .....

I am preparing for my euro delivery. I was at the dealer and there is a discrepancy in the frunk dimensions to fit two of the biggest suitcases.
The parts guy said the GT3 is the size of the turbo and 4 wheel drive 991, not the 991 2wd frunk.
Please, if someone can post some actual measurements.
I'm hoping to fit two 27x19x9 suitcases
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The parts guy is correct; the GT3 uses the C4 body. Since the GT3 doesn't have AWD, the space for the AWD mechanicals is used to fit the optional 90L fuel tank. But the frunk stays the same size.

Measurements can be deceiving, and may not reflect how much clearance you have to the hood, for example. The best thing to do is find a 991 C4 and if your luggage will fit in it safely, it will fit in the GT3.
That's right, I forgot it's the c4 shell. Now it makes sense.
The back seat area will have to be utilized. My wife is going with me and she requires more luggage space than the average woman.

Just hope those LWB seats slide forward enough to fit the suitcase behind
Too bad your SA didn't know what he should have been measuring. Great write up anyway, and I'm glad you found a way to resolve the problem so that your wife didn't have to kill you and ruin the trip for you both!

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-16-2015 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:14 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

Priceless story.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

$180 from Roadster in Germany - fitted 3 piece luggage 991 - delivered to dealer - see my Euro 991 GT3 delivery thread decemeber 2013 :-)

P.S. Much prefer your RS version but I didnt have the money for that set up.
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2015, 09:18 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Luggage looks good - thankfully my wife agrees with my absolute aversion to check bags unless it's technical gear needed for the trip (mountainerring or cave diving). She will happily handwash her underwear etc in the hotel room/local river if needed as we end up in a lot of backwater places - maybe give that a go?
Old 07-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Luggage looks good - thankfully my wife agrees with my absolute aversion to check bags unless it's technical gear needed for the trip (mountainerring or cave diving). She will happily handwash her underwear etc in the hotel room/local river if needed as we end up in a lot of backwater places - maybe give that a go?
My wife similar. Antipodeans aye. We dont do fancy luggage LOL!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:54 AM
IPGJames
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

LOL, good read.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Travel with luggage in a GT3 w/LWB

The guy on RL that fit behind the seats had to be as skinny as a broom stick!
That was me! LOL! I have a 30" waist, but that being said, did you elevate the seat all of the way up? You have to do that to get any open space. I was able to fit a bag of golf clubs through the opening behind the seat, but only with the seat raised all of the way up
Old 07-16-2015, 10:20 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I thought we had resolved your issue back in March .....

Too bad your SA didn't know what he should have been measuring. Great write up anyway, and I'm glad you found a way to resolve the problem so that your wife didn't have to kill you and ruin the trip for you both!
Oh, Mike
It was a lot of fun. I thought I had every detail covered....not

Originally Posted by orthojoe
That was me! LOL! I have a 30" waist, but that being said, did you elevate the seat all of the way up? You have to do that to get any open space. I was able to fit a bag of golf clubs through the opening behind the seat, but only with the seat raised all of the way up
Hi Joe,
I hope you not take any offence to "broom stick". I wish I was able to fit into rear area to clean the damn windows.
I will try to "raise" the seat for clearance.. TBA
Old 07-16-2015, 10:23 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Originally Posted by Z356
Great story.

The Rimowa (photo below) is definitely something to consider. And for some unknown reason, I am too attracted to the green bits!

Right now I have a beautiful set of leather fitted luggage (English from 'Bespoke') that makes travel on my Audi R8 Spyder (barely) manageable. So I understand what you went through...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Bietigheim
Eduardo....I don't know what's wrong with me.......the green is what I live for....Why?? I just don't know. There has to be Shrinks on RL.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:22 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Very funny and well written! Thanks. LOL.

Quick Reply: Travel with luggage in a GT3 w/LWB