Sponsored by:

what will you buy if you cant get a GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I wouldn't be so sure. There is no guaranteed rate of return on the RS; for it to appreciate, demand will need to stay high in the form of a strong economy, and Porsche will need to resist the urge to maximize profits and keep supply low. I wouldn't bet on either.

On the other hand, the 12C has already taken its big depreciation hit. IMO it is a bargain right now (and I, too, prefer the original nose).
The recent vast rise in Porsche values is due to the trifecta of a strong economy, people searching for asset safe havens due to near zero percent returns in the bond market and the fact that for "driver's cars" - the end really is near due to government regulation. Two of those legs (the strong economy and lack of bond returns) could change any minute. That doesn't even include the fact that Porsche is continuously sullying their own reputation by becoming just another luxury brand although that will probably affect the younger generation who aren't really in the market for these cars yet anyways.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...o-you-no-good/
Old 07-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I wouldn't be so sure. There is no guaranteed rate of return on the RS; for it to appreciate, demand will need to stay high in the form of a strong economy, and Porsche will need to resist the urge to maximize profits and keep supply low. I wouldn't bet on either.

On the other hand, the 12C has already taken its big depreciation hit. IMO it is a bargain right now (and I, too, prefer the original nose).
I hear you, but look at the historical prices on the RS vs. 12C's. You can get a 12C for 150k three years old with low miles, and a 2010 RS is MSRP or better was just my point. I love the 650, but not at the price point and walking in the door they will discount 80k too much supply they're sitting on the lots collecting dust. Car stuff is crazy ........
Old 07-03-2015, 10:27 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I hear you, but look at the historical prices on the RS vs. 12C's. You can get a 12C for 150k three years old with low miles, and a 2010 RS is MSRP or better was just my point. I love the 650, but not at the price point and walking in the door they will discount 80k too much supply they're sitting on the lots collecting dust. Car stuff is crazy ........
True. ...but you could get the 12C for basically the same price a year ago and they seem to have firmed up since then.

...and I don't think the 997 RS market will ever predict the market for the 991 RS. Totally different cars.

Can you really get 80k off on a 650? Too bad that front end is so friggin' ugly; looks like Toyota designed it.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
True. ...but you could get the 12C for basically the same price a year ago and they seem to have firmed up since then.

...and I don't think the 997 RS market will ever predict the market for the 991 RS. Totally different cars.

Can you really get 80k off on a 650? Too bad that front end is so friggin' ugly; looks like Toyota designed it.
80k yes walk in with a check book, and you will leave with the keys! The cars all piled up in the ports with no homes.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:04 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i think that the huracan, with Italian style and sense of drama, combined with german (Audi) engineering, creates a proposition that hasn't existed previously... in the $250k ish range slightly used, puts it not far off an RS... street not track though... going for a ride in one made the hair stand up on my head and I wasn't even driving... the sound alone...
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
i think that the huracan, with Italian style and sense of drama, combined with german (Audi) engineering, creates a proposition that hasn't existed previously...
It previously existed in the Gallardo.

The difference is that when the 2nd generation Gallardo debuted for 2009, it was ~75% more expensive than the 2010 GT3RS that followed the next year, so it wasn't cross-shopped. With Porsche's inflationary pricing, again with the GT3RS following by a year, now the Lambo is only ~35% more.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:24 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It previously existed in the Gallardo.

The difference is that when the 2nd generation Gallardo debuted for 2009, it was ~75% more expensive than the 2010 GT3RS that followed the next year, so it wasn't cross-shopped. With Porsche's inflationary pricing, again with the GT3RS following by a year, now the Lambo is only ~35% more.
i know that audi /vw has been in the ownership seat for a while...but i personally believe that it has taken this long to reach the perfect intersection on the curve of german engineering /Italian styling/price point... i think the huracan is a better "value" for this reason than the Gallardo was...
Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When do you think the 991.2 GT3 and 3RS will be debuted? 1 year after release of the 991.2? Or later? Also, will the possible development of a manual delay it more than that?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,981 Likes on 2,268 Posts

If I can't get an RS, then I'm going to get one of these bad boys...

Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
Ditto on the BAC Mono. That and Singer are only other cars on my list.

Somebody needs to tell Savyboy.....
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...mono-nsfw.html

https://www.sector111.com/cars/bac-mono/
Sector111 is no longer the USA distributor of the Mono. The new USA Mono distributor is directly associated with BAC, there have been a LOT of changes (good).

Several have been registered for the street in CA, and one in GA. Me, I just want to track, so, mine is not registered, but I could (in NV) if I wanted to. In the US there are currently ten on the road and two in-build, and I believe about 40-45 worldwide. All cars are now custom fitted to the owner...if that kind of exclusivity and personalization appeals to you.

I can help arrange for an in-person visit with the BAC USA VP of Sales who is visiting Orange county Sept 6-8. For serious Mono prospects to learn and place a deposit if inclined to do so. A display car will be there (not mine), no test drives (it's freakin' awesome as you expect, don't worry). Email me (pete at trackrat dot com) with your contact info and I'll be glad to relay it. I don't work for BAC nor have any financial arrangements, just a happy owner.

As a point of reference, I've yet to play with a 991 GT3 on track that I could not outrun when I wanted to. I'm on street tires and certainly not the most skilled driver.

I've been working with some amazing people at Racelogic/VBOX the past three weeks to do a Mono data/CAN, VBOX HD integration, here is a sample of the beta test video yesterday at Thunderhill. Bits and piece we need to tweak, but it's 95% done. It'll be a turn-key install for other Mono owners:

Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2015, 10:05 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I've just got to do a few hot laps in your rocketship to see what it can do. I note you were taking it quite easy in this vid, but dang... I did a 3:18 on the full 5 mile (cyclone and 3 stupid hairpins on the west side). And I'm a hack.

Looking forward to sharing the paddock and tarmac with you again soon, buddy!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:27 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I've just got to do a few hot laps in your rocketship to see what it can do. I note you were taking it quite easy in this vid, but dang... I did a 3:18 on the full 5 mile (cyclone and 3 stupid hairpins on the west side). And I'm a hack.

Some lead-follow with the Zen Master would do me good!

Ditto pal, hope we can hook up sooner than later!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Looking good Pete. You need to get out there with some F2000 cars to make it interesting.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
As a point of reference, I've yet to play with a 991 GT3 on track that I could not outrun when I wanted to. I'm on street tires and certainly not the most skilled driver.
You've been playing with the wrong 991 GT3s.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:34 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium

3:18 without those new bypasses? That's indeed very fast. If only it did not cost twice as much as a GT3...

Quick Reply: what will you buy if you cant get a GT3RS