Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How common is it for dealers to deny Euro Delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:28 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Out of curiosity when did you request ED and when do you get to go?

I was told by my dealer the same thing, collect VAT at their discretion.
First started talking to the dealer in October 2014 about a GT3 with ED. But with the production run (allegedly) ending in December, I couldn't finagle one to my liking as winter delivery would have been not as much fun in this car so I punted to a .2 deposit. Then I got the call early May (this thread OP) at which point I was told ED for GT cars was not company policy for this dealer. Lots of wrangling and finagling later (I agreed to split 1/2 the ED cost), I was told there were no ED spots left in 2015 unless I agreed to take one of the spots reserved for Porsche-run tours. So I reluctantly agreed to sign up for one of these tours (yes, took it in the *** on splitting ED cost and signing up for the trip, nice work Porsche/Dealer). It isn't what I would have wanted (pricey, forced itinerary) but it gets me the car in Europe where I can then go and do the things I do want to do with it (signed up for Nordschleife and Spa track days, to name two...). The deal took a few weeks, with spec and ED being locked in late May? Early June? Car was built in June and is sitting there waiting for me to pick it up in ~3 weeks!
Old 08-17-2015, 04:23 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts
Default How common is it for dealers to deny Euro Delivery?

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
First started talking to the dealer in October 2014 about a GT3 with ED. But with the production run (allegedly) ending in December, I couldn't finagle one to my liking as winter delivery would have been not as much fun in this car so I punted to a .2 deposit. Then I got the call early May (this thread OP) at which point I was told ED for GT cars was not company policy for this dealer. Lots of wrangling and finagling later (I agreed to split 1/2 the ED cost), I was told there were no ED spots left in 2015 unless I agreed to take one of the spots reserved for Porsche-run tours. So I reluctantly agreed to sign up for one of these tours (yes, took it in the *** on splitting ED cost and signing up for the trip, nice work Porsche/Dealer). It isn't what I would have wanted (pricey, forced itinerary) but it gets me the car in Europe where I can then go and do the things I do want to do with it (signed up for Nordschleife and Spa track days, to name two...). The deal took a few weeks, with spec and ED being locked in late May? Early June? Car was built in June and is sitting there waiting for me to pick it up in ~3 weeks!
Okay, same situation for me for the most part. Got it in May, built early July. I asked for ED in June but booked so offered tour which I think was early Oct. couldn't justify the delay and cost so doing dealer delivery. Bummed but still getting the car at least. Should have it in two weeks. Please post some pics and thoughts on your experience once you're back. Have fun!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:01 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of OT, but which car brand has the best ED? and which one has the easily obtainable one?
Old 12-21-2015, 06:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Mercedes an automatic 7% off including options and a hotel no charge. AMG excluded.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/europe...ogram#module-1

BMW the same but no 7% off on the options when I asked last.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 16'991GT3
Kind of OT, but which car brand has the best ED? and which one has the easily obtainable one?
Without any reservation I can attest that BMW has the best
European Delivery Program in the planet! I have done three
of them and the savings are hard to beat!

I strongly recommend this web forum to get up to date information
on the program:

And get 'Rolf' to pick you up & drop you off at the airport. He is great!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 12-21-2015, 06:37 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! Don't need it currently but may be useful for the future! Will look into it.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:39 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree Eduardo, BMW's ED program is a fantastic bargain.

I recall reading that BMW said it was in part a thank you to American servicemen after WWII. No matter, it's a brand loyalty program like none other to get treated like rock stars from the limo airport pick-up onward even if your buying a $30K car. Porsche should be embarrassed honestly.

A good overview and history of European Delivery programs and their origins.

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....very-programs/.

Today’s European Delivery programs can trace their roots directly back to the 1950s when members of the armed forces returning from Europe brought with them a taste for smaller and somewhat sportier European cars. Indeed, many soldiers and airmen purchased cars for use in Europe and then shipped their cars to the States.
Porsche ED:

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....ivery-program/
Old 12-21-2015, 06:42 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

BMW's rocks. If you can get a car at Euro Delivery invoice, it is a screaming deal.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my 2006 330i at invoice with Euro Delivery, felt special back in 2005.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Anyone try Mercedes?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:55 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got denied by my dealer. They said it would cost them money and that I could, but I would have to pay $5000.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:57 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Anyone try Mercedes?
I've done two with Mercedes and they've been fine each time with no additional charge.

The only "issue" is that for AMG cars, they will not allow you to do European Delivery for new models until six months after the launch of the new model.

I had issues with Mercedes drilling holes in the bumper of my car. Well, when it got back here, they gave me a new bumper.

I'm going to do an ED for a BMW in May and hopefully I get to do one for a Porsche one of these days.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Germany's 'European Delivery' Programs & Wirtschaftswunder...

Originally Posted by consolidated
Agree Eduardo, BMW's ED program is a fantastic bargain.

I recall reading that BMW said it was in part a thank you to American servicemen after WWII...
Well, the history of the European Delivery program in the German
auto industry was more 'strategic' than that! I have written about
it in the past on Rennlist and at Bimmerfest. And PCA & Porsche
was a major force in the early days of ED in Europe. Here is an
example of that writing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6804...ml#post9277255

Or this I posted earlier in 2006 at Bimmerfest:

"From my many conversations with old timers in Porsche 356 circles, I have concluded that the impetus for the European Delivery Programs (as we now know them) developed within West German economic planners that were desperately trying to come up with new ways to help West German economic recovery after WWII. Not only did West Germany needed to find new overseas clients for its re-emerging auto industry, but Germans needed to encourage international travel to the homeland. Of course, the principal purpose for the latter was reaping the financial benefits of tourism. Foreigners needed to know that West Germany was no longer 'bombed out" and in ruins. They were rebuilding a flourishing tourism industry to compete with those of France, Italy and Britain for the traveling (mainly North & South American at the time) tourists. But equally important, Germans hoped that the inter-action with foreigners would help transform its international 'political' reputation after the bad press generated by the war & its 'ancien' regime. You remember the guy with the funny mustache, no? By the mid-fities, West Germany had established a thriving democracy and the government was anxious to have that fact known and experienced by as many foreigners as possible, especially Americans who held the reins of political power and wealth after WWII. As a result, the West German government gave its auto manufacturers a direct monetary incentive (perhaps via corporate tax savings) for each German car sold and delivered to a foreigner in Germany. The ED program was a great success and became part of the myth now known as the German Economic Miracle, the successful era of Chancellor Konrad Adenauer and his savvy Economic Minister at the time, Ludwig Erhard. In the early days, no auto maker made better use of marketing the benefits & savings of the European Delivery Program than tiny Porsche. The Porsche Club of America, with Max Hoffman's help (he was the US importer), was putting together 'Treffens' in the late fifties that organized Euro deliveries for Americans...fifty and more 356s at a time! Within a short time, Mercedes and others came up to speed quickly.

As the German car industry matured & prospered, and the peaceful & democratic reputation of West Germany was established in the world beyond reproach, the favorable tax treatments were no longer needed or necessary. When and how they were changed, reduced, or modified, I really do not know. But they are no longer the same. I have done five EDs in my lifetime (two Porsches and three BMWs) and each time I have thought (and thanked) the foresight of these German economic planners from the mid-fifties. Not only has it encouraged me to purchase German automotive machinery more often, but it has also allowed me to get to know and appreciate the many positive qualities of the German people. In addition, I have had many opportunities to experienced the beautiful landscape, architecture, food, beer & wine of the German nation. Sadly today, early ED pioneer Porsche has seen fit to give us a financial disincentive for Euro Delivery in Zuffenhausen. No savings. In fact, it cost much more. Shame on them and their shortsightedness. We appreciate BMW and Mercedes continuing with this great program, no matter what support (or not) it now gets from the German government, and encourage Audi to follow suit.
"

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170999

I have in my Porsche memorabilia collection many mementos from
such historic PCA Treffens where members picked up their Porsches
in significant numbers...something that has no equal in modern times!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel, CA
Old 12-21-2015, 11:00 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Eduardo, fantastic! I love the ED history lesson and seeing the mementos. BMW still puts group EDs together by Nation for new model launches, they sound amazing. And the brand equity built by those who participate and read about it has value.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:59 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,151 Likes on 466 Posts

BMW hands down since they opened the BMW Welt; it's a really cool experience. Prior to the Welt it was hilarious; you got your car in an old parking garage. With the discount for Euro Delivery, leasing a BMW is great. The 7% discount is like a free 7% down payment since the lease is still calculated off the US MSRP. Also, if getting a BMW, don't let the dealer say they can't discount below 7% off, that's not accurate. You can still negotiate far below that.

Porsches ED is nice too, it's a more intimate experience since you are one of just a few people that day, but it's not cheap. Cutting a check for the VAT was not cool, even though it's eventually returned. So no cost saving like BMW. The tour and lunch is nice.

Quick Reply: How common is it for dealers to deny Euro Delivery?