Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Just had my pccb brake pads checked at the dealer, with rotor wear analysis being done in the morning. The car has just over 23,000 miles (including 2 light track days). The guy who services all the GT cars looked at the pads and said they look basically new. He also mentioned previously that the 991.1 ceramics are holding up extremely well.

I also pointed him to this thread regarding the off-the-car rear rotor measurements, which are very different relative to being measured on the car. He was very interested to read about it. It might save others from replacing expensive rotors down the road due to incorrect readings.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Thanks. A quick search looks like the disc assemblies are ~$1400 per corner. Not bad! Roughly twice what the OEM Porsche iron replacement rotors cost.
Do you know what size do they come in?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Do you know what size do they come in?
According to RB they are 380mm (same diameter as stock 991 GT3 iron) and 34mm wide (similar to stock front, but wider than stock rear thus some caliper pin length reduction needed).
Old 02-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

According to RB they are 380mm (same diameter as stock 991 GT3 iron) and 34mm wide (similar to stock front, but wider than stock rear thus some caliper pin length reduction needed).
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok sorry if this has been anwsered in this thread but I've got a little confused cause we are talking about two different companies. Can someone simplify this up for me?
ST rotors can be refurbished 5 times. They will be shipped to ST and cost roughly 2k for all 4 to be refurbished and roughly $400 round trip to the U.S.. They also use the stock pccb calipers?
The only negative is gold color hats?

Racebrake use to use ST rotors but has changed to Brembo. But the Brembo can not be refurbished similar to Pccb? RB also has the sinister pad that "repairs" the surface and this also keeps the heat from burning the carbon away like pccb? So they last how long? And when you do replace the rotors, you can purchase thru GM at a much cheaper price point then Porsche oem? So do they work with stock pccb calipers?
And one last question. So will the sinister pads work with stock Pccb to keep them from heating away the carbon?
Sorry if I'm way off trying to understand all of this.
I don't track that much but my .2 will be a keeper.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:17 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That's correct. The modification to the pad bolts is minor (see illustration) and we can even provide modified bolts if needed:

But the advantage is HUGE as all four corners will have the same disc allowing you to "Rotate" the discs as needed, for example you can swap the "more used" front with "less used" rear just like rotating your tires, to help you ensure all the discs are evenly utilized.

Thanks. A quick search looks like the disc assemblies are ~$1400 per corner. Not bad! Roughly twice what the OEM Porsche iron replacement rotors cost.
That's correct they cost around $1250 - $1400 depending on when and where you buy it and the price has been the same in last 3-4 years. Disregard to CCM's superior performance (never fade, warp, or crack), they last at least 3-4 times longer than iron for track application.

Install and forget it - Run those CCM in RB way - Inspect rotor visually or with conventional tool/gauge just like iron rotor w/o having to worry or learn how to figure out the "weight" loss.

Do more research and math can help you decide whether you should run on conventional iron or RB-CCB (A very good alternative to PCCB)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

This thread discussing in detail of 380/380 CCM kit:

New RB CCB kit

Some installation pics:

Front set up 6 pot caliper w/380x34mm RB-CCB rotor:

Front OE pad clears hardware:

Top view:

This RB caliper spacer is used to show 997 (142mm upright) can upgrade to 991 GT3 6 pot calipers (225mm). For 991 upright this caliper would be a direct mount.

Rear set up 4 pot caliper w/380x34mm RB-CCB rotor:

Rear OE pad although marginal, but still can clear the hardware.

Rear set up top view:
Old 02-01-2018, 07:27 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Pad bolt modification illustration:

1. Unbolt the M8 bolt with 10 point socket.

2. Push the pad stud out of caliper body.
3. Use dremel/grinder/file or milling machine to shorten the length in yellow.
4. Reinstall pad stud back by torquing (impact wrench) the M8 bolt which will draw the stud back to its original place.

Anyone handy can have this done w/o too much trouble, alternately is to send the rear calipers to us and we will perform this modification at a nominal charge (~$80 for total 8 studs)

As a pre-caution, we also check the pad stud after shorting 1.5mm, with new length of 20mm where the brake pad still is fully engaged inside the studs, assume the brake pad worn down completely to backing plate, the rotor thickness would have been 27-28mm which is unlikely to happen, so no concern at all even if you replace the stock iron rotors back.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:39 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Pad bolt modification illustration:

1. Unbolt the M8 bolt with 10 point socket.

2. Push the pad stud out of caliper body.
3. Use dremel/grinder/file or milling machine to shorten the length in yellow.
4. Reinstall pad stud back by torquing (impact wrench) the M8 bolt which will draw the stud back to its original place.

Anyone handy can have this done w/o too much trouble, alternately is to send the rear calipers to us and we will perform this modification at a nominal charge (~$80 for total 8 studs)

As a pre-caution, we also check the pad stud after shorting 1.5mm, with new length of 20mm where the brake pad still is fully engaged inside the studs, assume the brake pad worn down completely to backing plate, the rotor thickness would have been 27-28mm which is unlikely to happen, so no concern at all even if you replace the stock iron rotors back.

So for $4,800 I can go on EBay and find plenty of vendors selling new Brembo Carbon disks- your kit is $9000 with the same disks. Is the $4200 the cost of some hardware, new hats and pads? Seems a little expensive.

I don’t expect any answer from Racing Brake because they ignore all challenging questions, so I’m asking others on this forum to weigh in. Am I looking at this right?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:59 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
So for $4,800 I can go on EBay and find plenty of vendors selling new Brembo Carbon disks- your kit is $9000 with the same disks. Is the $4200 the cost of some hardware, new hats and pads? Seems a little expensive.

I don’t expect any answer from Racing Brake because they ignore all challenging questions, so I’m asking others on this forum to weigh in. Am I looking at this right?
Wow, I didn't realize that. I would guess that hats and mounting hardware would be all that's needed. I might explore this route.

Mind providing a link to some of the Brembo discs for sale on eBay?
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding measuring the rear rotors when they are off the car, I’ll be taking mine off this weekend and will get them measured by Porsche early next week. I’ll share the results. My earlier readings of the rears are significantly worse than the fronts. Hopefully I can postpone the transition to Girodiscs for a couple more track days.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by montoya

I had the same question. And the GM / Brembo discs come with the hats and hardware as an assembly as far as I can tell!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:57 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

I had the same question. And the GM / Brembo discs come with the hats and hardware as an assembly as far as I can tell!
I would think we need different hats to fit the hubs on our cars, correct? I actually have a GT4 currently (waiting to order my GT3) so I know I would need a different hat from what you guys have.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:14 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Ok sorry if this has been anwsered in this thread but I've got a little confused cause we are talking about two different companies. Can someone simplify this up for me?
ST rotors can be refurbished 5 times. They will be shipped to ST and cost roughly 2k for all 4 to be refurbished and roughly $400 round trip to the U.S.. They also use the stock pccb calipers?
The only negative is gold color hats?

Racebrake use to use ST rotors but has changed to Brembo. But the Brembo can not be refurbished similar to Pccb? RB also has the sinister pad that "repairs" the surface and this also keeps the heat from burning the carbon away like pccb? So they last how long? And when you do replace the rotors, you can purchase thru GM at a much cheaper price point then Porsche oem? So do they work with stock pccb calipers?
And one last question. So will the sinister pads work with stock Pccb to keep them from heating away the carbon?
Sorry if I'm way off trying to understand all of this.
I don't track that much but my .2 will be a keeper.
Oh and ST turn around time is another negative.

Still hoping someone can clear up a few of these questions.

I'm guessing but could be wrong, that if you're running pccb now you will need new calipers. Looks like the GM are 394mm and 380mm.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I would think we need different hats to fit the hubs on our cars, correct? I actually have a GT4 currently (waiting to order my GT3) so I know I would need a different hat from what you guys have.
Correct. My point was just hats / hardware aren’t THaT expensive, though the custom ones for Porsche will be lower volume so certainly a bit more expensive.

Quick Reply: New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread