Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far will u go to protect from door dings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH 86
I think the door dings are an American thing. Never saw any indication of it in Europe. They park very close but respect others property.

Sorry, but you are wrong. It is a big problem here as well.

But I must say that I like the big parking spaces in the US, wish we hade the same. But maybe that is the actual problem. Bigger parking spaces gives more room for doors to swing open more violently.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I even got door dinged by a Porsche in the Porscheplatz parking lot...

Old 04-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
I don't see what big issue with double parking in back is if there are plenty of other spaces in lot. I do it all the time when the handicapped spaces are all taken. I find it more rude that every fat Fer who is too lazy to take care of themselves has to park in the accessible spots so they get to walk even less. Oh yeah... I need that space to build my wheelchair. That's what that hashed out area it for, not your motorcycle. On a good note, no one has messed w my 911 or cayenne while double parked. ��
The problem isn't whether you think it's a big issue, or even whether it IS a big issue. (If there are plenty of other spaces it really isn't.) The problem is what OTHER people think about it because they will be the ones who will get PO'd and decide to teach the "%-hole" who took 2 spaces a lesson.

I just think that, unfortunately, it increases the odds of retribution. So far you've been fortunate.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:17 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
But I've kinda let go a little because I realized the car was controlling me more than I was the car. I hope that I never see a door ding, but I guess I'd rather risk it rather than forego taking my pcar to the restaurant at all.
EXACTLY! You own the car, the car does not own you. Do the best you can and if it still gets dinged, that's life. Life is too short to worry about these things all the time.

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Some kid in a GTI decides to mark RIGHT next to me. I come out of the mall and I see him taking pics and checking out the car, but he could have parked a spot away and done the same thing... Annoying. Pic is attached.

I want to try something like this: http://www.doorshox.com/car-door-dings.htm but I fear that it's an invitation to test the product and that someone will try to test it and go too far...
Did he ding it? Probably not. Kind of annoying but there was plenty of space between your car and his.

This Door Shox product is ridiculous and an invitation to get keyed. It's just a car.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

duplicate post

Last edited by vantage; 04-02-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:06 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kobalt, that video is the best.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Went over to chic filet for lunch today. Was on the phone so I took the drive thru. Pulled over in one of the parking spots to eat my lunch in the car. A couple of minutes later a 300+pound woman slams her door strait in to the side of my truck. I exit and ask what the h**l she is doing. Oh, she just looked at me and walked off!
Good thing it wasn't one of my Porsches.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The problem isn't whether you think it's a big issue, or even whether it IS a big issue. (If there are plenty of other spaces it really isn't.) The problem is what OTHER people think about it because they will be the ones who will get PO'd and decide to teach the "%-hole" who took 2 spaces a lesson.

I just think that, unfortunately, it increases the odds of retribution. So far you've been fortunate.
I see what you are saying.
Considering myself fortunate that someone hasn't vandalized my car yet is outrageous. I will never accept that behavior as acceptable regardless of the circumstances...
Old 04-02-2015, 08:39 AM
SHAG
Racer

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Went over to chic filet for lunch today. Was on the phone so I took the drive thru. Pulled over in one of the parking spots to eat my lunch in the car. A couple of minutes later a 300+pound woman slams her door strait in to the side of my truck. I exit and ask what the h**l she is doing. Oh, she just looked at me and walked off!
Good thing it wasn't one of my Porsches.
Don't you think she is entitled to throw open her door as hard as she can? She needs it open all the way to get out. How is that her fault... lol
Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 AM
87turbo87
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
That guy is an idiot. I park out far if need be, but do this stupid stuff and you will come back to a keyed car.
Agreed...this is a sure way to get your car keyed.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ****
I see what you are saying.
Considering myself fortunate that someone hasn't vandalized my car yet is outrageous. I will never accept that behavior as acceptable regardless of the circumstances...
I just meant you're fortunate in the sense that some jerk hasn't already seen fit to take out his jealousy and pique on your car, not that that kind of behavior is justifiable for any conceivable reason.

Also, I somehow failed to note your comment in that earlier post that you use a wheelchair and need additional space to exit your car. My sincere apologies. If ever there was a good reason to take up two spaces, you have it and I hope no one ever gives your car a bad time for doing so.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:19 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

This problem is a sad indication of a general change in the US. When I see someone with a nice car or nice house or whatever, I admire the person for working hard and being successful. A large portion of our population, thanks to liberal politicians and the media, assume the well to do are somehow evil people who have more than their fair share . So they get angry that someone has something they don't.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It's because most people don't take responsibility for themselves. As such, they look at your car, and instead of using it as inspiration to work harder and succeed as you have, they look at it as a negative, and try to cut you down to their level.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by scycle2020
This problem is a sad indication of a general change in the US. When I see someone with a nice car or nice house or whatever, I admire the person for working hard and being successful. A large portion of our population, thanks to liberal politicians and the media, assume the well to do are somehow evil people who have more than their fair share . So they get angry that someone has something they don't.
The last time I had a vehicle keyed was in 1971. Ronald Reagan was the governor of California and Richard Nixon was president. Just saying, this kind of thing is not a new phenomenon and pretty much unrelated to the political climate. Jealousy has no expiration date, and the "good old days" weren't always that good.

It's convenient to blame "the media" or "liberal politicians" for one set of problems, but how is that different than blaming "the rich" or "conservative politicians" for others? The blame game just seems counterproductive, superficial, and does little to actually solve or explain anything.

Sorry, don't know what came over me. Back to regularly scheduled programming.....
Old 04-02-2015, 06:36 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Very well said, Mike.

Quick Reply: How far will u go to protect from door dings?