Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far will u go to protect from door dings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 207 Posts

I park faaaar away. Then I move the car a few yards further.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:43 PM
RavenRen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Park far away because many of the people that ding doors are the kind of people that do not like to walk too far. It's all a game of odds and luck.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

My RS doesn't get driven/parked much on the street... but with other cars. I park far. I've trained my wife to park far. Decent luck, but you can't control stupid and you can't control those who just don't give a s*it. My PDR guy and I are on a first name basis. He's a magician.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 PM
SHAG
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The problem isn't whether you think it's a big issue, or even whether it IS a big issue. (If there are plenty of other spaces it really isn't.) The problem is what OTHER people think about it because they will be the ones who will get PO'd and decide to teach the "%-hole" who took 2 spaces a lesson. I just think that, unfortunately, it increases the odds of retribution. So far you've been fortunate.
No worries Mike. I may make a couple of small signs to state why I'm double parked just in case. It does suck because I've worked hard for what I have. I'm one of the young guys on here and hope to have my toys for years to come and keep them in great condition. Thankfully where I live now the people still say hello, use sir & ma'am, and generally treat others with respect.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:04 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
No worries Mike. I may make a couple of small signs to state why I'm double parked just in case. It does suck because I've worked hard for what I have. I'm one of the young guys on here and hope to have my toys for years to come and keep them in great condition. Thankfully where I live now the people still say hello, use sir & ma'am, and generally treat others with respect.

Boy, that word "respect", just something that is hard to find any more. Give me the old days anytime. I've generally given up, it's the new days now, whether we like it or not.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:20 AM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

I've found the best odds to be at the end of a row where I can put a front and rear wheel over part of the striped "no parking" zone. The doors of the person next to me will usually be far enough away not to inflict any damage. The further away from the store(s), the better. I've found, though, that just about every time I park far away (even if no one else is in the lot), someone parks next to me, notwithstanding the fact that there are plenty of closer spots. Are they giving out prizes for parking next to P cars?

Last edited by DES GTS; 04-03-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 AM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Agree

Regardless of how far away from any other car I've parked, there is always some idiot that will park their car right next to mine. There could be 50 other available space, but that car will be next to mine when I come back. Unreal. I've come to believe that there are people out there who see a car parked way out alone, and park next to it just to be an as**ole.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:32 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
^Agree

Regardless of how far away from any other car I've parked, there is always some idiot that will park their car right next to mine. There could be 50 other available space, but that car will be next to mine when I come back. Unreal. I've come to believe that there are people out there who see a car parked way out alone, and park next to it just to be an as**ole.

That's very common place and just pisses me off. I refuse to park any of my Pcars in such parking lots anymore. Use my other vehicles. At restaurants I park where I can see it.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM
GT176
Advanced

You can run but never hide.
Took the R8 (sorry, didn't have the GT3 yet) to the airport to get global entry.
The WHOLE lot is pretty empty as you see and I come back to this.
I've come to a conclusion, some people have "No Clue" and others (pick up trucks fall into this category) just do it to **** you off.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

We will just have to bring orange cones to put out around the cars!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:12 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

People just don't care...they do not care about their car and see it as a utility.

Why they can't empathize with car enthusiast and realize it drives us nuts...that is what I will never understand
Old 04-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Park far away and look if we must park next to another car we look for another **** owner.

Must say, my wife and I drive 3 vehicles and no dings so far......
Old 04-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,292 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by RavenRen
Park far away because many of the people that ding doors are the kind of people that do not like to walk too far.
Truth , not a lot of overachievers acting as vandals.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GT176
You can run but never hide.
Took the R8 (sorry, didn't have the GT3 yet) to the airport to get global entry.
The WHOLE lot is pretty empty as you see and I come back to this.
I've come to a conclusion, some people have "No Clue" and others (pick up trucks fall into this category) just do it to **** you off.
Two possible explanations:

1. The owner is being a jerk and/or has no clue or:
2. The owner cares as much for that minivan as you do for the R8, figures the lot may eventually fill up, but if it does that at least one side of his jewel will be safe because he thinks the owner of a nice car won't ding HIS door.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:51 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I find out no matter how far I park away there will always be a car on every side of me when I comeback. Even with many spaces available closer. Its almost comical to the point where I just don't try too hard.

Quick Reply: How far will u go to protect from door dings?