Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far will u go to protect from door dings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
It's amazing how much we do to keep our cars free from dings and scratches! I recognize myself in a lot of these situations you describe. My wife thinks I'm crazy when we park 1/2 mile from the entrance to the mall or when we only take the 993tt to restaurants were I know the valet and they let me park it outside the front door!
I certainly wouldn't want to have a 993TT dinged up either...
That's an awesome car!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:17 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I will add one that I follow on windy days: never, never park next to a car whose doors open downwind. If a big gust catches them they will open fully and most likely slam into the car next to it. I Always make sure the doors of those next to me open upwind.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
I will add one that I follow on windy days: never, never park next to a car whose doors open downwind. If a big gust catches them they will open fully and most likely slam into the car next to it. I Always make sure the doors of those next to me open upwind.
LOL!
You actually don't sound OCD...

How do you actually test for that? Do you wet your finger and hold it in the wind?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
LOL!
You actually don't sound OCD...

How do you actually test for that? Do you wet your finger and hold it in the wind?
Old Kentucky windage!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:24 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I certainly wouldn't want to have a 993TT dinged up either... That's an awesome car!
Thanks! And my 6rs and 4.0 are completely safe. They hardly leave the garage nowadays! Lol
Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
That guy is an idiot. I park out far if need be, but do this stupid stuff and you will come back to a keyed car.
Taking up two spots when there's plenty of room in the back of the lot is lame and just builds anti-Porsche sentiment. Here's someone doing just that at the Whole Foods near Sonnen.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 384 Likes on 215 Posts

All this talk about parking and the real issue is that you have no control who parks next to you after you park and go to where you want to be...
Old 03-31-2015, 10:33 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
All this talk about parking and the real issue is that you have no control who parks next to you after you park and go to where you want to be...
I find this thread both interesting and mildly disturbing because I'm OCD and have a new car. At first I'd refuse to drive anywhere there was a large parking lot. But I've kinda let go a little because I realized the car was controlling me more than I was the car. I hope that I never see a door ding, but I guess I'd rather risk it rather than forego taking my pcar to the restaurant at all.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a honda today with a door ding so bad it looked like a gale force wind or strong kick was behind it. I thought I was over worrying about door dings ... until today.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Taking up two spots when there's plenty of room in the back of the lot is lame and just builds anti-Porsche sentiment. Here's someone doing just that at the Whole Foods near Sonnen.
I used to do this many, many years ago but only at the back of the lot. Still, as I got a little older and a lot smarter I realized taking two spaces, no matter where I parked, was an invitation for someone to get pissed and take it out on my car. Now, I just look for corner spots in the most open section I can find, park as far to the closed side as I can, and hope for the best.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:26 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see what big issue with double parking in back is if there are plenty of other spaces in lot. I do it all the time when the handicapped spaces are all taken. I find it more rude that every fat Fer who is too lazy to take care of themselves has to park in the accessible spots so they get to walk even less. Oh yeah... I need that space to build my wheelchair. That's what that hashed out area it for, not your motorcycle. On a good note, no one has messed w my 911 or cayenne while double parked. 😀
Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Afm
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It usually takes me longer to find a spot that I'm content with than the actual ride to the destination!
I know I'm a little whacked tho when I move my car in the middle of a meal
Old 04-01-2015, 11:04 AM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the door dings are an American thing. Never saw any indication of it in Europe. They park very close but respect others property.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
I don't see what big issue with double parking in back is if there are plenty of other spaces in lot. I do it all the time when the handicapped spaces are all taken. I find it more rude that every fat Fer who is too lazy to take care of themselves has to park in the accessible spots so they get to walk even less. Oh yeah... I need that space to build my wheelchair. That's what that hashed out area it for, not your motorcycle. On a good note, no one has messed w my 911 or cayenne while double parked. 😀
There is no point in double parking unless you are concerned that someone will have to park next to you when the lot starts to fill up, and once it does then double parking by definition becomes a douche bag move.

So if the lot is wide open, no harm in just taking one space, right?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
There is no point in double parking unless you are concerned that someone will have to park next to you when the lot starts to fill up, and once it does then double parking by definition becomes a douche bag move. So if the lot is wide open, no harm in just taking one space, right?
I need the extra space to physically build and or take apart my wheelchair every time I get in or out of car. I can't walk. So if I parked in one spot (because there are no accessible spots available), I cannot get in or out of my car because I don't have enough room.

Quick Reply: How far will u go to protect from door dings?