Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 3 Finally Arrives - Enclosed Transport Damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:47 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First congrats! Looks great and nice to have another in Texas.

As to damage--why not name the company. They transported and damaged your car. This is a forum and would be helpful so others maybe don't make the same mistake.

Scratch doesn't look bad, but I would get wha you can out of them. Take it to a good local body shop and get an estimate and double it.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Firstly, congratulations!
As many have said, mistakes happen, the transporter seems to have acted honorably. I was talking to one of the drivers who transported my car from the port to my dealership and he said that the driver is held responsible by their company for any damage to the car during transport. They are personally penalized financially for a proportion of the cost! I have no idea if that's true but if so, as your driver was honest and admitted fault, I'd cause minimum fuss, get compensated for the repair and move ona.

Just a retouch at a good body shop. I wouldn't want to repaint the entire bumper.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Geeze that's minor. I thought I was going to see a picture of a 458 laying on top of your roof. A good bumper guy will make that perfect and you will never see it. Do not paint full bumper. White is by far the easiest color to blend and match. This is a $500 repair. 5k? Are you high?

That said car is damaged goods so I'll offer you 20k below base msrp to take it off your hands. :-)
Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This one is obvious..have them pay for a new bumper and the painting, r&r, etc. Then have the spot repaired and pocket a few grand and be happy.
The spot is small, low, and small.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The spot is small. Ask a local Porsche dealer who they recommend for body work/paint. That is an easy touch up and will be invisible to the naked eye done right. $500.00 tops, probably less.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

This is a fairly minor repair. There is no way you can order a full newly pre-painted bumper directly from Porsche.

A good body shop should be able to just repair that scrape by itself. No bumper removal or repaint. A good place will touch it up, and polish it smooth to blend in nicely.

The more extreme case - Even if they did paint the bumper (because you weren't happy with the result from above), they would just paint that little bottom section and blend it up a couple inches, and then clear coat the whole bumper. This would require bumper removal and de-badging.

The badges would have to be put back on after. The first option would probably do the trick. They will never re-paint the whole bumper for a small and low scrape because you never get a perfect match going against the other panels.

Either way, you'll get paid for the actual damage repair. Most likely under 1K.

Last edited by STG; 03-23-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

Keep the pictures in case it come up when you sell it. Keep it away for the insurance companies so you don't get a car fax. Get the dealers best touch up guy to fix it. Enjoy.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im w/ STG991 & carcommander
Old 03-23-2015, 02:02 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
First congrats! Looks great and nice to have another in Texas. As to damage--why not name the company. They transported and damaged your car. This is a forum and would be helpful so others maybe don't make the same mistake. Scratch doesn't look bad, but I would get wha you can out of them. Take it to a good local body shop and get an estimate and double it.
Say what?....I'll assume this is you being sarcastic.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:23 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
This one is obvious..have them pay for a new bumper and the painting, r&r, etc. Then have the spot repaired and pocket a few grand and be happy.
The spot is small, low, and small.
Good American answer. Sheesh.

They admitted fault. Mistakes happen. Why screw them over even more for personal benefit? The damage is not great in surface area and is low. Getting a new bumper repainted is risky as it may not match the rest of the car even if done at Porsche authorized shop. Take it to a Porsche authorized repair shop and get an estimate. Have them pay for that. Keep it off carfax by avoiding insurance companies. Then, enjoy your fine car.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Say what?....I'll assume this is you being sarcastic.
Point is if the damage is $500, I'd ask for $1000 from because of time, effort, rental car, etc. Not saying take them to the cleaners

And yes, as to transport company, I would let Renn's know so they can make an informed decision if they want to use that company or not.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:56 PM
GT-B
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks

They admitted fault. Mistakes happen. Why screw them over even more for personal benefit? The damage is not great in surface area and is low. Getting a new bumper repainted is risky as it may not match the rest of the car even if done at Porsche authorized shop. Take it to a Porsche authorized repair shop and get an estimate. Have them pay for that. Keep it off carfax by avoiding insurance companies. Then, enjoy your fine car.
+1.... Karma can work for or against
Old 03-23-2015, 06:39 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issue.

I would do one of two things
1) Have dealers touch up guy do JUST that spot. The really good ones use an airbrush to "fog" in the area. You will never be able to tell.
2) Demand a new factory bumper. Have them order it from Porsche or (maybe) find a perfect used one from junk yard (ie front end crash).

Personally I would do #1 so the numbers match (panels have ID).

Good luck and enjoy the car

Bill
Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Sorry to hear about your issue.

I would do one of two things
1) Have dealers touch up guy do JUST that spot. The really good ones use an airbrush to "fog" in the area. You will never be able to tell.
2) Demand a new factory bumper. Have them order it from Porsche or (maybe) find a perfect used one from junk yard (ie front end crash).

Personally I would do #1 so the numbers match (panels have ID).

Good luck and enjoy the car

Bill
For this issue and the relative small extent of it, have it touched up by the paint shop. A good one will rectify the paint blemish and once the bumper is clearcoated you will never see the diffrence. Just think of all the CPO cars repainted at dealers for "wear and tear spots/chips" (mostly on bumpers) and you never see the damaged area once it is done. The more you remove and repaint the more possiblity of making a very small spot a bigger problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:13 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks

Sorry. No evil intent here. I should be clearer:

They damaged a part that's easily removable and replaceable. They have insurance. I see no reason that the claim shouldn't be for the part, r&r and painting. Its a new car and this is what he's entitled to. Now, to make the OP feel better, I thought he might come to grips with the deal, paint the spot, hope the repair is perfect and put a few $$ in his pocket....

Quick Reply: New 3 Finally Arrives - Enclosed Transport Damage