Sponsored by:

Your neighborhood.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
You realize that san fran and many areas of california don't even closely represent the rest of this country right?
You realize that there can be jerks anywhere, right?

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Of course I do. I lived in several other places in the US, and all are very different. I was not implying that all of the US is like that. I'm sure even another neighbourhood in Bay Area would be different.
My neighborhood is nothing like the one you described, Max. I've never received anything but positive comments about my cars from neighbors, even those that aren't particularly into cars. Sorry to hear that yours is such a poor fit for you and that people there give you grief. As I mentioned above, intolerance is hardly exclusive to this area or state.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Have a house on 2 acres in the woods and not in a neighborhood. As long as leaves are on the trees, you can't see it without trespassing. I have no idea what anyone thinks of my cars besides my two closest neighbors and they don't seem to care at all. I assume everyone in my vicinity chose to live there for the same reason: they don't want to be in a neighborhood. When I look out any window I basically just see trees and wildlife.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

Mostly what I dislike about my GF house downtown. Absolutely no privacy. They think she has several different BF's with nice cars. You almost can't have a nice car there, it gets hammered by the locals and their driving antics. If I lived down there I wouldn't own any of the stuff I do.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:14 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Live in a historic district, which defines not only the houses, but most of our neighbors. All of them have no interest in cars, which is fine as I have no interest in their (great)grandkids, most recent ailments, etc. When one started showing pics of their newest grand-baby, I busted out my phone & started going through the 200+ pics I have on it of my dog. May have look into this living out in the country thing!....T☺
Old 03-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Of course I do. I lived in several other places in the US, and all are very different. I was not implying that all of the US is like that. I'm sure even another neighbourhood in Bay Area would be different.
Good, just wanted to clarify, as I find alot of canadiens have the most ignorant perspective of the US. Similiar to saying all of canada is like montreal.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You realize that there can be jerks anywhere, right?
Absolutley, but the concentrations of absurdity/hypocrisy is as high as I've ever experienced in key areas of CA I've been to many times. Regardless, beautiful state and there's a reason why normal people live there and put up with much of the nonsense.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:22 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

generally speaking, i don't think people find you as interesting as much as you think they do
Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

The name of my street is Fast Lane. The neighbors all know whatsup.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:08 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
generally speaking, i don't think people find you as interesting as much as you think they do
Bingo! Post of the day!
T
Old 03-25-2015, 10:02 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Only one of my neighbors "gets it". He has a C5 Corvette.
You either have the car gene or you don't.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:55 AM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting thread.
We live in a gated community and most of our neighbors are retired... too much time on their hands.
There's lots of gossip on what I do for a living jaja.
Don't care really but is fun to hear their suppositions.
They range from trust fund babies to drug runner or something like that.
To give them some credit it is not common to see two heavily armored SUV's parked outside my house
But having to conduct business in one of what was the most violent cities in Mexico (Cd Juarez) it should make sense or so I think.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

When I moved into my old neighborhood after about a week the guy next door shows up. 3 early P cars and a BMW in the driveway. He knocks on the door and when I answer he asked me if my Dad was home. I said u just missed him? Do you know him. He looked confused and said to have my dad call him when he got home. I asked him if there was a problem and he still wanted to talk to my Dad. The conversation did not end well, he had a problem with the amount of cars and people that were in the driveway as well as my wood pile. let him know that I was the one driving a different car every day and the wood pile would be a wood shed soon. Needless to say we never spoke again but he did call the cops on me when I drove the cup car home one night. Little loud for the neighborhood. Cop showed up at the door at dusk. Asked me if I owned a Porsche. I asked him To be more specific. He ended up in the garage googling over the Cup car a 73 E hot rod and the GT3. On the way out he asked me to do my best to keep the rpm's down with a wink. Good guy.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:52 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
My neighborhood is very different. Only 25% of the homes are occupied full time. The ones that are full time are wonderful. They always joke with me about the cars. All of them offer to help when we've needed them in the past, and they always look out for our house/ pets when we travel. Unfortunately on weekends and holidays, the other 75% are from the SF Bay Area. Now, I don't want to generalize, because many of them are very nice and respectful, but the few bad apples are, as stated above, are self entitled ******. They definitely have a reputation up here in the Tahoe area. It is amazing how so few can give a beautiful region such a bad name. I have several clients from SF, and they are wonderful, caring folks. They also cringe at the stereotype, but completely understand.
You in truckee? I'm there all the time - best friend lives there

I have two and soon to be three cars (with only one being practical) in SF proper - people think I'm nuts
Old 03-26-2015, 02:05 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
You in truckee? I'm there all the time - best friend lives there I have two and soon to be three cars (with only one being practical) in SF proper - people think I'm nuts
Yes, I live in Truckee. People think I'm nuts here also.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:10 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

My favorite town - will be eating at cottonwood on Friday and cannot wait per usual

Quick Reply: Your neighborhood.....